I've Got This Overwhelming Urge...

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by Coloratura, Dec 16, 2008.

1. Coloratura

Coloratura Snuggle Princess Premium Member

After using Microsoft products all my life, I'm ready for something better. I'm hoping that Mac OS X is that "better". As for Boot Camp, yep, I have my XP SP2 disk here if I need to install it, which I might to run some of my older Trek games, otherwise, I'm going to be happy with OS X. Why didn't I choose 3 day mail!? Oh yeah, because it was $20 more. :D

J.

2. Lindley

Lindley Moderator with a Soul Moderator

Speaking of.....
    http://ars.userfriendly.org/cartoons/?id=20081228

3. Lindley

Lindley Moderator with a Soul Moderator

Anything that an experienced user can help out with? EG, is it related to problems finding how to do stuff?

Also note that any such "side-by-side" environment will be running one of the systems (in this case Windows) inside a virtual machine. It may be a thin layer in this case since the underlying hardware supports the OS, but it will still represent a performance hit over using the reboot-into-Windows approach.

4. Coloratura

I'm posting this from my iMac.
    It is a fantastic machine. :D

J.

5. Charlie Kelly

Charlie Kelly Commodore Commodore

While I'm not a fan of Macs myself I'm glad to hear you're enjoying it. One of my favourite things in life is getting a new computer and using it for the first time (which is quite sad when you think about it).

Charlie

6. Coloratura

I didn't know what to make of it at first. When I started it up, there was this little white light glowing, and then it just jumps into this symphony of music, welcoming me to my Apple computer. :D

J.

7. Meredith

Meredith Vice Admiral Admiral

I would switch to a mac but I would spend all my time in either firefox or a terminal windows, I may as well save a couple thousand and run Linux.

8. backstept

backstept Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'd compromise and put mac OS on a netbook like a Dell Mini :lol:

new toys are always exciting :D

9. Coloratura

You could buy a mini for $500, or you could do what I did and buy refurb for much less than retail. So far, this iMac has repeatedly impressed me, primarily with it's response times. It is FAST.

Yes. Yes they are. :D

J.

10. BCI

BCI Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

XP on my machine is fast as well. Disabling unneeded services did it. ;)

The Mac I have here is fast now, too. It's a G4 Mini. I upgraded the harddrive, put Ubuntu on a seperate partition, and disabled the spotlight search.

And 10.4 did the unprecedented: I could actually connect to a Windows share! I did it first on Ubuntu, though. 10.3 would never connect, it would always hang.