It's been a while...

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Ihlecreations, Apr 11, 2012.

1. Ihlecreations

Ihlecreations Captain Captain

HI all, been a while since I posted in here, I have been working on a Design with Titan Designer for Terry Lynn Shull's fan novels. She had a pretty good description of what she wanted it to look like all I had to do was flesh it out. Well enough talk, here is Terry's NCC-1701-G http://fav.me/d4vvvrz

2. Starship

Starship Commander Red Shirt

It´s a beautifull ship! About the drawing, isn´t the left nacele a bit bigger than it must be? ;)

3. Forbin

Forbin Admiral Admiral

Optical illusion - is it an isometric rather than a perspective?

4. Tom Hendricks

Tom Hendricks Ooohhhhhh, Navy Seals. Premium Member

I was just talking about you with a friend, I got to Universal Studios recently and got to see your sculpt for Harry Potter.

5. sojourner

sojourner Admiral Admiral

Nice design!

6. Ihlecreations

you were right, it was scanner distortion, I fixed it.

7. Lord_Schtupp

Lord_Schtupp Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Very nice, well-proportioned ship design rendered into being by a very talented hand. Excellent portfolio of diversified work in your gallery!

8. Klaus

Klaus Vice Admiral Admiral

Gorgeous, as always!

9. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon TheSeeker Premium Member

Very nice! Is it my imagination or does part of the saucer separate into a smaller ship?

10. Kaiser

Kaiser Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Cool design :) :techman:

11. reanimatedfish

reanimatedfish Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Very nice, I see you and Terry are a big fan of the Perpetual Entertainment Star Trek designs, too!

http://www.newhorizonrpg.com/poopydoodles/familiar.jpg

I see you adapted the basic idea into a much larger one, more like the Enterprise E's scale as opposed to the Voyager size like the original design.

12. Ihlecreations

I think of all of John Eaves designs that one obviously had the most influence on the design. It had elements that worked with adaptations to fit the look Terry had in mind. The arrow head saucer was her most prominent description. I should thank John for the inspiration.

13. reanimatedfish

reanimatedfish Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Hey, we all get inspiration from the greats. It looks pretty darn good.

14. Colonel Midnight

Colonel Midnight Vice Admiral Admiral

I like it in general, except that it seems way too "busy" for my taste for a real "thumbs up" vote.

Cheers,
    -CM-

15. Titan Designer

Titan Designer Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

This is going to be a cool design when done. I will be starting the Top Ortho tomorrow sometime. Keep the Skecthes coming.

16. Ihlecreations

17. Kaiser

Kaiser Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

looks cool :techman:

18. JES

JES Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I kind of like what I'm seeing here for the most part, or so far, there is at least more that I like about her than things that I don't. The kinda funny thing is that when I think of the Enterprise-G, I think of Doug Drexler's Congo class (originally developed as an alternative design during the design process of the Enterprise-J/Universe class). That said, I have never really liked the side-stretched ellipse as much as the fore-aft stretched ellipse or pointy, arrow shaped hulls, and even though I have a respect for the Congo class, given that she isn't completely considered canon, I'll take any chances to uproot the notion that the sideways-stretched ellipse would become a primary hull design that is used predominantly.

In fact, If you look at my Excursion class, you will see a similar pointy shaped hull.

That said, I can't help but my interest participating to design the Enterprise-G. Whenever I catch a vessel with such a prestigious name that is in an early development phase, I want to try to do my part to have her become the best vessel yet to carry the name.

I think I have a few suggestions that would improve her aesthetically, and functionally.
    I would definitely make the rear end tips of the primary hull more pointy, as opposed to rounded. In fact, I would probably make the entire primary hull delta or Starfleet insignia shaped, but with a cutout in front similar to the Nova class, or my Valkyrie class, or in other words similar to the one you already have. I just think the cutout could use some refinement, and I have a few ideas that I think might look better. I know one thing for certain: the tip of the cutout doesn't look very good flat; there should be some sort of curve.

The other suggestion that I'd like to emphasize would be retractable nacelles for the primary hull to use when separated, similar to the Arrogant class (which can be seen here), and used on some of my own designs, or simply a set of nacelles integrated into the sides of the primary hull. I'm thinking the ends of this set of nacelles could end at the pointy ends of the primary hull. If there is any suggestion that I absolutely think you should pay heed to, than this would be it. I think it is safe to say that by now, almost all ships capable of hull separation would be made of sections all capable of at least warp drive. In fact, I was disappointed that the Enterprise-F doesn't have this ability.

This is why, assuming you could get Terry Lynn Shull's okay, I'd like to make some sketches of my own. I think that participating in a project with you and Sean would be a lot of fun, if you would allow me the honor.:D
    Among the other major modifications I'm thining of, would be integrating the of the nacelles into the pylons, as opposed to being attached to the pylons from under, working out where the weapons are mounted, I would probably make the nacelles a little longer and thinner, and having the bridge in between the side primary hull sections. My idea is that there are slightly raised portions on the dorsal hull sections, similar to that on the Akira and Luna class, but less prominent, but the parts of the hull that the bridge sections are have a steeper curve, and thus are below the hull line of the other parts of the dorsal hull sections. My reasoning behind this is to make the bridge harder to shoot at. Or we could even go with making the middle portions of the dorsal hull just low enough to keep the bridge out of sight from the sides. Assuming that Ms. Shull is willing to let me have a go, if there are any design elements suggestions that she doesn't approve, I would avoid using those elements in my sketches.

Once again, that said, there a few things, besides the pointy primary hull, that I wouldn't change, and I think you made some excellent aesthetic calls on.

I'm guessing that semi-circle shape on the fantail is meant to be the aft shuttlebay, basically like the clamshell doors, but now convex. If so, I like the new design, and I probably would never of that of that myself, but now I like the idea as much as the clamshell doors.

If I had been tasked with designing her in the first place, I probably would have simply integrated both hulls, more like the Sovereign, Century, or even the Insignia class. That said, I'm not against having a semi-neck, and I personally like how the spine of the ship takes a design cue from the Galaxy class, but streamlines it, much like the aforementioned Arrogant class in fact.

19. sojourner

sojourner Admiral Admiral

I hate to say it JES, but that went way over the line of "a few suggestions" and into "insulting".

20. Titan Designer

Titan Designer Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I think Adam has started a fine design based off of what Terry wants. I even got to help a little so far with mainly the dual deflector dishes. I hope I get to develop some more details with Adam. My contribution will be building the ortho schematics based off of Adam's sketches. This is a great project and I am glad I get to work with Adam on this project. I already got to draw the captain of this ship. Can't wait to explore Terri's universe.