"Is Battlestar Galactica in Suspended Animation?"

Discussion in 'Battlestar Galactica & Caprica' started by bryce, May 10, 2013.

1. DalekJim

DalekJim Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The existence of a Lost forum confuses me more. Nobody has even posted since 2010.

2. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

No can post in the Lost forum. It's been that way for more than 2 years.

3. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Vice Admiral Admiral

It shouldn't be a matter of production status anyway, it should be a matter of traffic. When Season 1 chatter clogged up the SF&F forum, branching off made sense. There's no sense in this being here now. 2005 called, it wants its sub-forums back.

4. Kegg

Kegg Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^
    Basically.

You know we used to have a Star Wars forum? But not for very long, just briefly during Revenge of the Sith's time. Possibly we'll want a Star Wars forum in the future, with a string of new movies and TV shows (an animated one but also some live action) looming on the horizon.

But Battlestar Galactica's forum, like Stargate and Lost (...Lost never moved to SF&F, eh?), may have outlived its functionality.

5. The Old Mixer

Heh. I was around then, but I don't remember the SW forum.

6. SiddFinch1

SiddFinch1 Captain Captain

Forgive a foolish question. But is forum space a big problem here? Space to post is unlimited but the number of subfolders is limited?

7. The Old Mixer

I have no idea, but as a BSG fan, I find this forum to be an embarrassing eyesore at this point. Why this subforum and not subforms for any number of other subjects that generate a lot more discussion in this decade? There's little enough BSG discussion these days that it could easily be accommodated in the main SF&F forum.

8. .:: TSN ::.

.:: TSN ::. Commander Red Shirt

Shouldnt be. It doesnt really matter to forum database/diskspace if post is located in one folder or another.

9. Spider

Spider Dirty Old Man Premium Member

I wouldn't mind a series of movies chronicling the events between the series nuBSG finale and the Caprica timeline. To me, there is some interesting fictional history in there.

10. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Vice Admiral Premium Member

^^^ Caprica was the prequel to NuBSG.

11. Spider

Spider Dirty Old Man Premium Member

What I meant was between the final scene in nuBSG (on Earth, supposedly in todays timeline with Six and Baltar walking about) long after the Cylons were given their freedom. From that moment to before Caprica started is what I was talking about.

"This has all happened before, it will all happen again"

So after the final scene in nuBSG the cylons have been out there doing something for centuries. Mankind still supposedly has to go colonize the star systems that become the planets in the nuBSG series.

It's kind of confusing in a way if this history has to repeat itself for several logic steps are kind of broken since the Cylons have already been invented by the time humans colonize the planets in nuBSGs timeline.

Now that I've probably just confused everyone I'll stop. :lol:

12. Robert Maxwell

Robert Maxwell Comfortably Numb Premium Member

But each forum needs one or more moderators, so having a large number of forums means more moderators which means more administrative overhead. The database side of it is only part of the equation.

13. The Old Mixer

^So...why is this forum still here?

14. Pemmer Harge

Pemmer Harge Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'm guessing because with Stargate and BSG over there's not that much sci-fi on TV that appeals to Trekkies anymore, so nothing's come and taken the place of these forums.

15. DigificWriter

DigificWriter Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Having just attended the first-annual Salt Lake Comic-Con, at which three former BSG cast members - Richard Hatch, Dirk Benedict, and Noah Hathaway - were guests, and which featured, IIRC, 4 panels having to do with the franchise in some way, I can tell you that this franchise will continue to endure even if we never again see anything new from it.

16. The Old Mixer

It doesn't have to be TV. Any topic that generates a lot of chatter in SF&F these days could be a worthy replacement sub-forum. Super-heroes and Star Wars are the most likely candidates.

17. Robert Maxwell

Robert Maxwell Comfortably Numb Premium Member

Go start a QSF thread if you want to talk about why this forum exists or which other forums should exist in its place.

18. The Old Mixer

^I did. No answer there, either.

And I didn't start the fire....

And by the time we got to this, I wasn't under the impression that it was a forbidden topic:

Last edited: Sep 18, 2013
  19. BoredShipCapt'n

BoredShipCapt'n Commodore Commodore

Speaking as a TOS purist, I think that just as nuBSG was a 9/11 series, TOS was very much a Cold War show. Even more than it was Mormons in Space, it was a late-seventies hawkish nightmare scenario of a universal Communist takeover.

TOS was utterly "of its time" and even if Richard Hatch does get to make his follow-up it will be a nostalgia project. As such, it could sustain a single movie but not a series.

Much as I hate to admit it. :)

20. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ Of course both versions were of their time. You could not make a TOS-style BSG today, and you sure couldn't have made a nuBSG-ish version back in the 70's. It doesn't make one show more 'real' than the other, it's just a product of the times, nothing more. They say every decade gets the movies it deserves - the same thing applies to TV.

That being said, I totally love the idea of The Second Coming and it still pisses me off that Hatch didn't get to expand it. The fact that he just made that one little bit of it, though, is amazing. He paid for the whole thing out of his own pocket, didn't he?