is babylonian 5 any good

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by tmosler, May 23, 2013.

1. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

I was very, very fascinated with CG Animation, and a Space Opera Fanatic and the Commercials for The Gathering roped me in. I wasn't completely entranced by the story yet, but, the first shot of the Vorlon Cruiser coming in for Docking had me desperate to see more, even if the story turned out to be garbage. Then And the Sky Full of Stars aired, and I knew the Series was going to be very deep and incredible and I was a fan for life (For the story as well as the CGI) from that episode on, and it just kept getting better from there.

2. RandyS

RandyS Vice Admiral Admiral

Babylon 5 is a great show.

3. RandyS

RandyS Vice Admiral Admiral

Since you asked for a story, here's mine:

After seeing The Gathering in first run in 1993, I thought it good, but figured that it was just another "one off" in the sci-fi boom that happened that spring alongside DS9 and Space Rangers, and one or two others that I can't recall at the moment. I had no idea that it was going to be a series, and, a year later when THAT was announced, I attempted to watch it, only, my TV guide listed it as being on Sunday mornings at 3:30am. So, I set my VCR, but ALWAYS got the last 30 minutes of a movie, and an informerical. This went on for two years, and I finally just gave up, figuring that this series was a hoax, or lie, or something.

Then, in 1998, TNT premiered the fifth season, along with reruns of the first four, at a promised 7pm weeknight time slot. I was skeptical, but again, set my VCR, and to my surprise, ACTUALLY saw the show. Shortly after this, I discovered that it was a serialized program with a set ending, so, rather than watch it every week, I taped all the episodes on TNT, acquired an in-order episode list, and waited for season five to end. Then, when I had them all, I started watching one episode a day off my tapes in early 1999, and was hooked.

Also, around this time, I became aware of that whole "DS9 stole from B5" business, and THAT helped to make me curious about the show too, since I had been watching DS9 on my local FOX station for it's entire run (the TV guide reported CORRECT air times for that show).

4. Silvercrest

Silvercrest Vice Admiral Admiral

I am going to remember this one. :techman:

So was Lorien a moderator?

5. nightwind1

nightwind1 Commodore Commodore

Well, I was a member of the B5 forum on GEnie, before the show ever aired. Saw the first episode as it was broadcast, and every episode as it aired after that.

6. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I just watched B5 for the first time a couple years ago because I kept hearing people talk about it on here. I bought each season as I went along, and I think this was when I was home most of the time due to medical problems, so by the time I got to the second or third seasons I was watching 5 or 6 episodes at a time.

7. T J

T J Commodore Commodore

Now I had to go watch that whole episode! One of my favorites... the mass drivers are nasty!!! :eek:

Love me some B5!

8. Sephiroth

Sephiroth Vice Admiral Admiral

there were so many good moments i wanted to post but they were too...spoiler-y

9. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

I probably read about it in a magazine, because when it was first on, the local station (38) aired it at some weird hour late Sunday or early Monday. I taped the first few (I think they were out of order) and thought they were pretty good-- then I got to Sinclair's "Unless we go to the stars" speech and I was hooked. It just got better and better from there on out.

Heh. Best description of B5 ever. :D :bolian:

10. Gov Kodos

Gov Kodos Admiral Admiral

Gov Kodos on Mohammed's Radio, WZVN Boston
    I guess, or an asleep at the switch admin.

11. Silvercrest

Silvercrest Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah... come to think of it, he banned all the trolls without even issuing any warnings! And managed to get himself banned at the same time.

Don't think I'd want to hang out on that board....

12. Sephiroth

Sephiroth Vice Admiral Admiral

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_oQkSh2lq8[/yt]

13. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

Yup, that's the Internet, all right. :rommie:

14. Gov Kodos

Gov Kodos Admiral Admiral

Gov Kodos on Mohammed's Radio, WZVN Boston
    Pope G'Kar, that's what's needed. [yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oz1VNbQYiTw[/yt]

15. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

"Put Your Face in the Book" :devil:

16. DalekJim

DalekJim Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Babylon 5 is fucking awesome.

Almost as fucking awesome as Robert Heinlein.

17. hbquikcomjamesl

hbquikcomjamesl Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I haven't yet bought any season sets (the operative word is "yet"), and only saw part of the first season (but almost everything from season 2 on), but I certainly found it worthwhile.

Kind of curious: with DS9 and B5 being produced about the same times, their respective producers were making well-publicized efforts to differentiate their shows from each other, and yet those efforts seemed to backfire most of the time, making the shows that much more convergent.

18. DalekJim

DalekJim Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

DS9 is my fave Trek show for sure, but B5 topped it. B5 wasn't part of an established major cash cow so was able to be much more ambitious with its storytelling. No way would DS9 have ever done anything like Deconstruction of Falling Stars.

DS9 is a procedural adventure of the week show featuring collection of varied story arcs.

Babylon 5 is a story.

19. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

I agree :techman:

Bab5 was WILD at times, just off the radar. It was NOT procedural. I think many have been trained into expecting the procedural, the standard, the expected and they weigh the worth of a show as to how well it does that. Bab5 could be messy and under baked at times but that was because it just went for it, it did sci fi FIRST rather than as the backdrop to mainstream expectations of a tv show.