Is anyone not in either LOVE or HATE the new movies group?

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Dick Whitman, Dec 15, 2012.

1. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

I'd put the the new movie among my top five favorite TREK movies. Not at the very top--that would be KHAN, of course--but among the better films in the series, which I like to think is not an extreme position. Where exactly it fits among the top films is probably going to vary depending on the phases of the moon.

And, of course, you can nitpick all of them if you want to. Even KHAN.

2. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

It ranks somewhere around five to seven depending on my mood. Middle of the pack territory. But that's because of the Academy sequences, they felt so contrived and out of place.

3. -Brett-

-Brett- Vice Admiral Admiral

Re: Anyone not outright LOVE or HATE the new movies?

Agreed. Having style without substance is far preferable to having neither style or substance, which was all too often the case during the Berman years, but it's hard to care too much about a series of generic, mindless action flicks. It is at least a well made generic mindless action flick.

4. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

For me it's in the top three.

5. Bishop76

Bishop76 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

It's a top 3 for me as well. Khan, TUC, and 09.

6. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

I can say that the last time I enjoyed a movie with the level of intensity I enjoyed 09 was seeing A New Hope when it came out. Of course I was a lot younger, had hardly seen any movies up to that point and that was the first big screen sci fi/fantasy experience of my life, (and many other people's lives). To have that experience again after several decades of being sci fi saturated, movie saturated, special effects saturated.. that was quite a shock.

I guess you don't really believe you can fall in love again until BAM it hits.

7. lurok

lurok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Lost in the EU expanse with a nice cup of tea
    Thought 09 was ok plotwise, a little messy. But more than anything just pleased they didn't fuck it up. The recasting and energy alone made it worthwhile. From the 9 minute trailer, looks like the new one is great from the get-go.

Was interesting Quinto and Pine had Amok Time as fave episode in press junket. Shame we won't get their riff on that.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2012
  8. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Somewhere Theodore Sturgeon is smiling . . . .

9. RPJOB

RPJOB Commander Red Shirt

I wasn't a fan of ST09 but I'm glad that Trek is back in the theatres. I wasn't a fan of the first few seasons of ENT or VOY after 7 of 9 showed up ir the Gold Key comics or some of the novels either. No biggie. The next reboot may be more to my taste. I don't feel I have to love absolutely every piece of Trek ever produced to count myself as a fan.

10. jayceee

jayceee Commander Red Shirt

I read the 2009 ST novelization, before I ever saw the movie.

Back in 2009 when I first heard about the movie being a "reboot" of some sort, my first knee jerk reaction was to immediately dismiss it as another cheesy reboot (without ever seeing it). Subsequently, I didn't think much about the movie for a few years.

About a year ago or so, I found the 2009 ST movie novelization in the bargain bin at a local bookstore and picked it up on a whim. I figured it would probably be a better use of my time to read the book, than to watch the movie.

Eventually I got around to watching the 2009 movie, when I found the 2-disc dvd version in the $5 bargain bins at a local discount store. That particular weekend, I ended up watching the dvd obsessively over and over again, comparing it with the novelization.

Not my favorite Star Trek movie, but it was a good self-contained action movie to watch.

11. Jackson_Roykirk

Jackson_Roykirk Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

IMHO, ST09 was a very entertaining film, but suffered from some story-telling flaws and a bit of a messy plot.

HOWEVER, it was certainly entertaining, which helped it overcome those flaws a little. Not a great film, but not a "bad" film either. It was saved by how fun it was to watch.