"Iron Man 3" Review and Discussion Thread (spoilers)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Dream, Apr 23, 2013.

?

Rate Iron Man 3

1. Excellent

72 vote(s)
    45.9%
  2. Above Average

61 vote(s)
    38.9%
  3. Average

16 vote(s)
    10.2%
  4. Below Average

4 vote(s)
    2.5%
  5. Poor

4 vote(s)
    2.5%
  1. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Vice Admiral Admiral

Regarding Tony's motivations in IM2, a key piece is the whole idea that the movie set up of Iron Man being an important strategic asset. I think the angle was overplayed (IM isn't on Doc Manhattan's scale; and what's with "stabilizing East/West relations" in 2010?), but that's where the filmmakers were coming from. Tony had a responsibility to be Iron Man, not a reclusive playboy plugged into a car battery...a responsibility that Rhodey taking the spare armor must have relieved somewhat, when all was said and done. That was also what Vanko's plan was about...he wasn't threatening Tony himself, he was threatening Iron Man's image. It was about the genie that Stark had let out of the bottle, the beginnings of a new arms race, and Tony trying to stay in control of the situation.

Plus there's the alcoholism to factor in...the guy is prone to self-destructive behavior. What to choose...playing it safe plugged into a car battery, or being one of the most powerful figures on the planet...?

2. throwback

throwback Captain Captain

The wealthy have offshore accounts. I heard that some of these accounts are listed with pseudonyms. Isn't it possible that Stark could have gotten access to one of those funds, and the villains, not knowing his finances, wouldn't be the wiser about his movements?

I watched the ending credits, and I saw a new scene. The oil executive was seen getting up from the ground. I wonder if the oil executive was keyed into the plan, and was one of the private funders.

3. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Admiral Admiral

But that just raises the question, did Stark have the time to get his credit card? I doubt he carries the card for an account he has listed under an alias with him all the time. Although, maybe the Iron Man suit has a compartment where it keeps credit card(s). Probably the most secure place he can keep them, and they're available in emergencies.

4. The Mirrorball Man

The Mirrorball Man Vice Admiral Admiral

And does his credit card number start with a "0"?

5. Shaka Zulu

Shaka Zulu Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'm on the IMDB boards a lot myself, and no, I disagree; not everybody's a kid; many people are adults making adult comments. And most of the comments might probably be about how they hate movies like this.

I suspect that many of the fans (the kids you were talking about) thought that the movie would be like the recent CGI animated series in which the original version of the Mandarin's a major character; when they didn't get what they wanted, they were angry.

6. The Mirrorball Man

The Mirrorball Man Vice Admiral Admiral

Sure, I guess, if you broaden the definition to those who can use a fork.

Are those the "adult comments" you were referring to?

7. Mage

Mage Commodore Commodore

Well, I really liked it, loved it actually. The entire angst made sense to me, considering what Tony went through in Avengers. It's interesting to consider how he made Iron Man an identity on its own, almost taking him over, loosing himself in this creation of his, because the real world is just to much to handle now. Creating all those different armors, they are all different aspects of him, things that he needs to be able to do to protect himself but mostly those that he loves. Since he realized that all his might, everything he created sofar wasn't not good enough. Both his armors in Avengers, as powerfull as they were, were almost not enough to save the world. I mean, the Mark 42 he could actually remote control and wrap around others, not just him, to save them.

I really liked how this movie focused on Tony, not on the armor. Other then that, the fact it was all less superhero and more a good cloak and dagger thriller was something that I enjoyed as well.

8. Kestrel

Kestrel Vice Admiral Admiral

Couldn't he have simply stolen a credit card from that Extremis agent he killed, or any cash she was carrying? If we're so concerned about where he got the Home Depot money, I mean.

9. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Vice Admiral Admiral

10. Set Harth

Set Harth Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

He doesn't look like an "Ellen", though.

11. P Tom

P Tom Commander Red Shirt

How did Killian get off Air Force One, if the president was the one inside the Iron Patriot suit as implied by the subsequent scenes?

12. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

Presumably carried him off and then switched after?

13. Emh

Emh The Doctor Premium Member

Killian wasn't on Air Force One. Savin used the Iron Patriot suit to get aboard and we all saw what happened to him.

I saw this again tonight and I have to say I still enjoyed the shit out of the film. It's not as "deep" as Iron Man but it's still a lot of fun and most the funny lines still had me cracking up. I enjoyed Ben Kingsley's performance even more knowing the big reveal, but it's also a lot more obvious that he's playing a cheesy, bad actor portraying a fake terrorist.

14. Kestrel

Kestrel Vice Admiral Admiral

So it's his wife's. :p

15. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

16. ATimson

ATimson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well, you still have to pay RDJ for the voice. :p Then it's just a question of which is cheaper: paying RDJ to be on-set, or paying the VFX vendors for all that work.

17. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

Since VFX people are exploited like slaves and happy with it, it's cheaper.

The most interesting thing about the article is that the schedule of summer blockbusters is so extremely tight that they don't even account for possible injuries of their main actors. Which is incredibly stupid considering that their main actors are doing stunts themselves. And then they end up torturing the VFX houses, who comply with everything because otherwise they go bankrupt. But then again most of them also go bankrupt when the film is a success.

18. LaxScrutiny

LaxScrutiny Commodore Commodore

I don't see how it's cheaper. If RDJ is billed as the star, he will still get his $40 million or whatever, even if most or all of his appearance is VFX.

19. JD

JD Admiral Admiral

It's scary how good the face replacement technique is getting, because I never once suspected that it was going on.

20. Keith1701

Keith1701 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm looking forward to seeing the movie, this weekend.:)