If You Grew Up on STAR TREK...

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by ZapBrannigan, Mar 21, 2013.

1. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

Aug 20, 2009
    Can't help but wonder if your teacher quietly informed you that it was actually the year 1347 that Constantinople was contaminated.

I remember after learning the beginning of phonics that I had the hardest time sounding out and spelling the word "sabataage."

2. Chrisisall

Chrisisall Commodore Commodore

Jul 5, 2009
  3. ZapBrannigan

ZapBrannigan Commodore Commodore

Jan 7, 2013
    New York State
    He didn't know that. And if Mister Flint mis-remembered the exact year, cut him some slack. As the only living witness, he's still an international treasure.
  4. RandyS

RandyS Vice Admiral Admiral

Nov 9, 2007
    Don't feel alone there my friend. I can relate.:bolian:
  5. Zombie Cheerleader

Zombie Cheerleader Nerys Myk Premium Member

Nov 4, 2001
    JJ Abraaaaains
    I think reading books beyond the normal level of my peers and owning a dictionary expanded my vocabulary. Being quiet, bookish and wearing glasses made people think I was smarter than I actually was. ;)
  6. Dantheman

Dantheman Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Oct 27, 2011
    Michigan USA
    Being into Star Trek helped, in high school during my sophomore year, a teacher who was a former Marine would start class with words on the board, to increase our vocabulary. One day, one of the words of "Emissary", and I mentioned I knew it from watching Deep Space Nine.

I was also the kind of kid who loved reading comic books and watching cartoons, so I first learned about DNA from the G.I. Joe cartoon storyline where Cobra created Serpentor, and the term "symbiote" from Spider-Man comics with Venom.
  7. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

May 12, 2004
    Oxford, PA
    I'm pretty sure I learned the word "aura" from Silver Age FLASH comics.

As in the Flash's "protective aura."

And I know I learned about "astral projection" from DOCTOR STRANGE.