I miss Picard's speeches!

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by Romulan_spy, Feb 13, 2014.

1. DarthPipes

DarthPipes Vice Admiral Admiral

Mar 3, 2006
    Watching TNG Season 5 on Blu-ray reminded me once again just how good Patrick Stewart was in the role.
  2. jimbotron

jimbotron Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Nov 27, 2012
    Bay Area, CA
    Another overlooked one in an otherwise awful episode - Picard's "there is no justice if laws are absolute" speech in Justice.
  3. JD5000

JD5000 Captain Captain

Nov 23, 2013
    Jackson, WY
    Don't forget his internal monologues....

4. Use of Time

Use of Time Commodore Commodore

Jul 25, 2012
    Va. Beach, VA
    ^ Holy shit that is great.
  5. Makarov

Makarov Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Jul 9, 2013
    NO! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO *smashes little ships*
  6. Levi

Levi Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Aug 11, 2013
    Starfleet Academy, San Francisco, Earth/Sol
  7. Holdfast

Holdfast Fleet Admiral Admiral

Feb 19, 2000
    17 Cherry Tree Lane
    I just rewatched Tapestry this afternoon, and while it isn't really a full-on speech, the emotional depth & real meaning Patrick Stewart puts into these scenes is superb. The fact that the message is so true anyway only adds to the depth:

I think I like his final conversation with Riker even more as it reveals that he really has changed, and come to terms with his own identity, but I couldn't find that online. A transcript will have to do:

PICARD: I still don't know what to make of it. Was it a dream? Was it one of Q's elaborate tricks?
    RIKER: A lot of people near death have talked about strange experiences, but I've never heard one so detailed.
    PICARD: And, you know, there's still a part of me that cannot accept that Q would give me a second chance, or that he would demonstrate so much compassion. And if it was Q, I owe him a debt of gratitude.
    RIKER: In what sense? It sounds like he put you through hell.
    PICARD: There are many parts of my youth that I'm not proud of. There were loose threads, untidy parts of me that I would like to remove. But when I pulled on one of those threads it unraveled the tapestry of my life.
    RIKER: I was just trying to imagine a hell-bent for leather young officer insulting a Nausicaan twice his size. I wish I'd had a chance to know that Jean-Luc Picard.
    PICARD: Oh, well, to tell the truth, that wasn't the first run-in I'd had with a couple of surly Nausicaans.
    RIKER: Really?
    PICARD: Oh, yes. During my sophomore year, I was assigned to training on Morikin Seven. Well, there was a Nausicaan outpost on one of the outlying asteroids, and one day...

8. UUS Contrarian

UUS Contrarian Lieutenant

Feb 22, 2014
    Mirror Archer>>>>Archer.
  9. Salinga

Salinga Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

May 16, 2005
    AFAIK it was Michael Piller, who often wrote the Picard speeches in a script.
  10. Sela301

Sela301 Admiral Premium Member

Mar 2, 2003
    San Francisco Bay Area, CA
    I liked his speeches to Tomalak, in both The Enemy and The Defector. Stewart knew how to deliver a hell of a speech, which made the character all the more awesome.