I just saw BSG: The Plan for the first time...

Discussion in 'Battlestar Galactica & Caprica' started by stonester1, Apr 1, 2012.

1. stonester1

stonester1 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Heres what I wrote about it on Facebook...

Battlestar Galactica: The Plan-The last follow up BSG film after the series ended, which told the story from the Cylon point of view, using a combo of new footage and clips. Overall, I enjoyed it, but thought the "going behind the scenes" and showing how it was all done, ie clearing up all the "mysteries" that the Cylons were involved with was unnecessary. That was done for some of the fans who complained about not all the "mysteries" being solved. Who cares? Mysteries are fun. But the GOOD part was going a bit deeper into the mindset of the Cylons and their Plan, how they thought they were doing the will of God and even doing humanity a favor. But their plan began to quickly break down with contact with the humans. And prolonged contact made things unravel even further. What was really interesting was that they illustrated the schism in Cylon society through the Cavils (Dean Stockwell), who voiced the break in Cavil's point of view, though their viewpoints on humanity, the Plan and the conflict could not have been further apart. That was well done and made the film for me.

2. scnj

scnj Captain Captain

I liked the stuff about the Simon model who cared about the humans, but the stuff explaining how Six disappeared in that one episode was awful. I always figured she was just projecting into everyones' mind rather than just Baltar's.

3. Sean Aaron

Sean Aaron Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm someone who just "accepts the mystery" so I really don't see a need for this film, but I'm glad it sounds like they put a little effort into it.

4. milo bloom

milo bloom Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The varied and beautiful Chicagoland suburbs.

I think it's a better mindfrak that Baltar had to deal with a physical copy of the Six that everyone else was dealing with too, then go back to having his head-Six.

It probably could have done without an explanation, but the one we got wasn't terrible either.

5. Brikar99

Brikar99 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I didn't think "The Plan" was bad by any stretch, but I did come out of it with a sort of "...So what?" kind of feeling. But it has some fine sequences and effects and I'm always up for more music from Bear McCreary.

6. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I think the best part of The Plan is the attack on the colonies sequences. The visuals and music were stunning. The darkness and tragedy of that really was quite effective.

7. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Admiral Admiral

The Plan is pretty good up until it shows the attack on the Colonies. After that it simply reviews everything that went on during the first two seasons and becomes rather tedious.

Like I said in another thread "instead of The Plan, I would have preferred A Script."

8. AJ86

AJ86 Captain Captain

I'd have enjoyed the attack better if it wasn't a carbon copy of something from Stargate Atlantis. The BSG CG obviously better, but it was so blatantly a copy it came off as kinda tacky.

9. RandyS

RandyS Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah. I still find it ironic that a movie called "The Plan", didn't actually have one.

10. Caliburn24

Caliburn24 Commodore Commodore

11. cml898

cml898 Lieutenant Red Shirt

I like it when they take familiar events and show them to us again from a new perspective, such as the "Expose" episode of Lost. So I enjoyed "The Plan" very much. I don't care if certain answers were necessary or not, I enjoyed getting a slightly deeper glimpse into what was going on from the Cylon's perspective during the first two seasons. Most of all I was grateful to see the Simon character finally be given something interesting to do on the show.

12. milo bloom

Simon was criminally underused in the main series, I agree it was great to see him fleshed out more.

And I also enjoy seeing things from another perspective. In fact, if they ever wanted to get me to rebuy the whole series again (I have it all on DVD), one thing they could do is re-edit episodes that could use footage from The Plan, or just regular deleted scenes to expand the episodes. There were so many cut episodes that really seemed to hurt the story but for the want of an extra two minutes.

13. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

"The Woman King" would certainly be more effective if the original ending hadn't been excised. There are definitely several other episodes that would be better if they had been longer. It's a shame Bear McCreary couldn't score the longer version of "Unfinished Business." I like the extra scenes, but prefer the tempo to the original that his (original) music provides.

14. milo bloom

That extended version of Unfinished Business was just fantastic, regardless of the music. I wish the third season could have actually shown this stuff in order, instead of having to do it in flashback.

15. The Janitor

The Janitor Ensign Red Shirt

I wasn't too enamoured with the extended version of Unfinished Business, it wasn't a great episode, despite some magic moments, but I was pretty angry that Dualla's character was cheapened further by showing her knowledge of Lee being in love with Kara that early on. That part was better left on the cutting room floor.

The Plan was a let down too. I so wanted to love it...but...I just can't. As a standalone, it's script is choppy and makes little sense unless you are already a fan. I think too many fans were disillusioned by that point so it had too be something really special to win back the goodwill..but it didnt. The premise is amazing. The script was lousy.

16. WeAreTheBorg

WeAreTheBorg Vice Admiral Admiral

well this is an argument for the plan because this was never the intention

17. mark1eyeball

mark1eyeball Cadet Newbie

I enjoyed the fact that The Plan tied up many of the loose ends and fleshed out the activities of Cavil as priest aboard Galactica. I found the sequence with Leoben foreseeing his relationship with Starbuck fascinating and enjoyed the explanation of Boomer's non-awareness of her sabotage. And of course, we finally got to see just who Caprica Six was talking to in the Mini-Series when Baltar walked off the campus. I thought some ofthe CGI work on the destruction of the colonies was excellent and loved the moment (for the first time in the whole of BSG) when the baseships swivelled to align their axes prior to the attack. BUT, it was not something to watch unless you had seen the whole of BSG as it did not work as a stand-alone, unlike Razor, because many of the key plotlines and characters (such as Roslin and D'Anna) were missing making the whole thing disjointed. Having said that, I enjoyed it as it fleshed out some of the Cylon characters and added context to some of their actions.

18. USS Kongo

USS Kongo Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Other than seeing the attack on the Colonies in more detail, I didn't really care for The Plan. I hated how they had Brother Cavill goading Boomer into committing sabotage aboard the Galactica--I thought it cheapened what was a superb storyline from the first season, where Boomer was battling her inner demons alone.

Sean