I have read Titan #1, #2, & #3...reading #4

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by RaymondJames, Sep 12, 2008.

1. DGCatAniSiri

DGCatAniSiri Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Personally, I have a hard time picturing Klingons playing baseball. 'Why would you hit the ball with the bat and not your opponent?'

2. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

^^"You want to hit the ball with your opponent?"

3. Nerys Ghemor

Nerys Ghemor Vice Admiral Admiral

Hm...I was very happy with the first three books of the Titan series--but I had a lot of trouble with Sword of Damocles. It's not that I don't like books with a lot going on in them, or that I don't like time travel plots (First Frontier, for instance, RULED) but I found it too fragmented and the main plot rather uninteresting for some reason. The one thing about it that really stuck out, though, and that I am very glad the author did, was to really explore the idea of Jaza as mentor to a Cardassian: Dakal is a character I was VERY glad to see get a lot more airtime, and I could really root for him where for some reason I didn't really feel as much for the other characters. What I felt for Jaza--although normally I've really liked him all around--I really had to experience through Dakal this time to make the connection.

I am very much hoping the fifth Titan book will pick up, quality-wise, where the first three left off, bring Dakal further into the main circle of characters, and otherwise not really acknowledge Sword of Damocles any more than necessary.

4. Thrawn

Thrawn Rear Admiral Premium Member

Well the whole crew is going to be in Destiny, don't forget that :)

5. RaymondJames

RaymondJames Captain Captain

I have come to terms with the fact that I am a male Vale:lol: I have gone from my natural brown to blond, to bleached blond in the past few months and when the time comes I am thinking of going red.

6. Caleuche

Caleuche Commander Red Shirt

I found the first three Titan books to be a steady progression of quality. The further they went on and the more the characters and the set up began to take defination, the better they got. The later two were more science based though than the first two which were more concerned with character introduction and Romulan plotting. Orions Hounds though is one of the best Trek books I've read and the ideas behind it to be brilliant. Sword of Damocles was also good, but I found my enjoyment of the book was taken down a notch by the fact I wasn't entirely understanding the science behind it. This caused me to have to re-read and re-read again chapters to get a grasp of what was happening. This meant my reading experience wasn't smooth and the flow of narrative was constantly interrupted.
    All in all it has the potential to be my favourite Trek book line, especially if DS9-R sticks which the mirror Kira storyline much longer.

7. Trent Roman

Trent Roman Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^ Marco has said that particular storyline will conclude with the next novel in the series, The Soul Key (it was originally to have concluded in Fearful Symmetry, but author and editor felt the story needed more room).

Fictitiously yours, Trent Roman

8. startrekfiero

startrekfiero Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

This is a perfect example of how you just can't please everyone.
    Each post from someone is either liking one or disliking another, many times being the opposite of the person posting their likes and dislikes just before them.
    Pretty interesting in the different points of view alone ;)

9. BrotherBenny

BrotherBenny Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I liked them all, 2 better than 1, 3 better than 2, and 4 just as good as 3

10. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

IIRC, Marco once said he'd prefer that Pocket published ST books that polarized readers' opinions rather than come out with book after book which everyone agreed was just... pleasing.

11. Thrawn

And for that, I commend him. There's been some interesting stuff published lately, for sure.

12. RaymondJames

well I am about 100 pages in, #4 isn't bad yet..for me atleast. Haven't really gone into any time changing yet.

So far its mostly about Jaza which isn't bad since I like that character.

13. The Grim Ghost

The Grim Ghost Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

So far none of the Titan books have really worked for me. The thing is, I'm not really sure why. I enjoy most of the writers other work. It isn't the whole "most diverse ship ever" thing. I actually like that idea. I just don't feel that any of them have really grabbed me yet. I still think the series has potential though, and I'm planning on giving Titan at least one more chance with the next book.

14. RaymondJames

understandable, sometime sits just as simple as no connection to the characters. I don't like Riker, I dont like Troi, I don't even like Tuvok in this but Vale keeps me occupied as well as the rest of the characters like Ree and Jaza.

15. Thrawn

That's one of the things I loved so much about Sword Of Damocles - Jaza was the character so far that I hadn't been able to connect to at all, just seemed sort of generically nice and normal, and so I was incredibly impressed that the book took him and made him into such a fantastically sympathetic person.

I'll admit, Riker and Troi and Tuvok aren't my favorite onscreen characters, so the series doesn't have the same grounding that New Frontier or Vanguard does in their rock-solid leads, but with SoD, all of the minor characters are now fascinating and I'm really looking forward to where they go next.

16. Tirius

Tirius Captain Captain

I agree with Thrawn and (further up) Caleuche above here. I loved Orion's Hounds' exploration of the "ecosystems in space", but found Sword of Damocles' science difficult to grasp on the first read. I recently re-read it, and enjoyed it a lot more second time round. I also hadn't really connected to Jaza prior to Sword of Damocles, but Geoffrey Thorne succeeded in making me care about him.

As for the series in general, I think most of the characters are quite interesting. I haven't really had any issues with the large cast, and actually quite welcome the fresh perspective provided by characters like Huilan and Chaka. I hope the series continues like this through Destiny and beyond.

17. Christopher

I can promise that in Over a Torrent Sea, you'll get fresh insights into the perspectives of a number of alien crewmembers, including several who haven't previously been explored in depth. (And "in depth" is an appropriate choice of words here, in two cases in particular.)

18. The Grim Ghost

I would like to see more of Tuvok's wife. It feels like she is just kind of ....there.

19. Christopher

T'Pel has one major scene early in Over a Torrent Sea, but unfortunately I couldn't find more to do with her. It's a big cast.

20. The Grim Ghost

^^ Well hey, it is nice to hear that she is at least involved somehow! :techman:

I'm not saying that she should be a major character, but when it was 1st mentioned that she on onboard Titan I was expecting it to have more of an effect on Tuvok. I just don't think we have really seen that so far and I hope it is addressed further at some point.