Humor on nuBSG

Discussion in 'Battlestar Galactica & Caprica' started by MyCylon, Sep 13, 2008.

1. MyCylon

MyCylon Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I don't know how I could forget this one:

Starbuck: "Bitch took my ride..."

2. Deckerd

Deckerd Fleet Arse Premium Member

I don't think any of these examples of dialogue is more than usual banter between soldiers. I'm a BSG fan but I have to say the laughs are non-existent. It's one of the big problems with the show. The best war movies have moments of (usually gallows) humour that make you laugh out loud but I don't recall any moment like that in any ep of BSG. The scripted exceptions of Madame President having one of her borderline hysteria moments with Adama seem geared to make the viewer slightly uneasy, I always think.

3. MyCylon

Well, they make me laugh (or, at the very least) smile.

4. NoImpulseEngine

NoImpulseEngine Lieutenant

Humor in BSG!?Yes there were some funny moments way back in season one but finding humor in bsg is like finding water in a desert. For the most part their is none and the show is dull as dishwater. I loved the writing in season one but find the recent attempts at humor to be corny and pathetic, perhaps its a show only manic depressives can enjoy.

5. DigificWriter

DigificWriter Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

As a general rule, humor is, by its very nature, subjective. This is particularly true of the humor on BSG. Because of the series' nature, it doesn't lend itself to what might be thought of as 'typical' humor, but there are things about the series that can be seen as being humorous. The dialogue that myself and others referenced, although not intended to be humorous, can be seen as humorous because of the way it's delivered.

6. MyCylon

^
    I agree with you for the most part though I'd argue that many of these things WERE in fact meant to be humorous. IMHO it fits perfectly with Moore's type of humor which shines through in the Podcasts.

Examples?

Uhm, yeah, right...

7. MyCylon

Just came across another one:

Roslin: "I'm playing the religious card. I know exactly what to do."

*fiddles with the tape in front of the tape deck, not knowing what to do'

Roslin: "How does this thing work?"

:D

8. DigificWriter

^ That is kind of funny.

BTW, my memory is a bit hazy, but I seem to remember RDM and David Eick indicating in their podcasts that, aside from "Tigh Me Up Tigh Me Down", they didn't consciously try and put any overt humor into the series, which would seem to indicate that a lot of the series' humor was unintentional.

9. MyCylon

^
    Hmm, I don't really remember that. I'd assume they meant that they didn't want to stray into comedy territory the way that particular episode did.

Personally, I've never had the feeling the writers were actively trying to keep humor out. I think they've been careful to use it in the right places and with the right style. It has to fit into the show.
    As I mentioned earlier, I find that most of the humor results from the characters or the situation. It's never about telling a joke or making fun of somebody. It's just that people can be very funny in what they do, and I think that's what they're making use of the show.
    I think the writers are very observant of human nature, and this is one of the ways in which that shows.

I don't remember specific podcasts but I certainly remember Moore saying (on more than one occasion) that a given scene was very funny in his opinion, and it didn't sound as though that was unintenional at all.

Maybe somebody who knows the podcasts a little better can provide some feedback on this.

10. DigificWriter

Like I said above, I don't actually see how or why "Tigh Me Up Tigh Me Down" is different, tonally, from any of the series' other episodes, so that might also have colored my interpretation of what RDM and Co.'s intentions were with regards to humor in the series. I will agree with you that there's a lot of humor to be found, but I think it's the kind of humor that is dependent on dialogue and delivery, as opposed to being placed there deliberately to get laughs.

11. MyCylon

^
    I'll have to disagree on "Tigh Me Up, Tigh Me Down". I re-watched it yesterday and find that it's far more like a 'comedy' episode in parts.

For example, the confrontation between Roslin and Adama over the fact that she thinks he's a Cylon isn't played like the usual drama but exaggerated for laughs. That's certainly how I perceived it.

There's a good reference to this scene in Jammer's review of the episode, I think:

"Up to now the episode is a muddled mix of suspicion and drunken behavior. The episode's definitive breakdown comes with the "payoff" scene in the lab, where Baltar is asked to first run a Cylon test on Adama (Roslin's request) and then on Ellen (Adama's request), and then all the threads crash into each other with everyone arriving in the lab and arguing. The scene is played as screwball comedy, but that's a miscalculation. There's simply nothing funny about the idea that these people are suspecting each other of being Cylons. Going to such a place should be sad, or scary, or painful, or insulting -- anything, really, but funny. This proves to be a very odd -- and unworkable -- choice. The characters -- especially Roslin after airing suspicions about Adama, of all people -- back away from and are let off the hook of their paranoia far too easily."

http://www.jammersreviews.com/bsg/s1/tigh.php

12. Herkimer Jitty

Herkimer Jitty Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

BSG just needs to have an episode where they all take a break and play Pyramid.

13. MyCylon

^
    "Take me out to the Pyramid court"? :D

14. MyCylon

Roslin: "Sorry about the mess. It's a bit of a ritual, superstition, really. I used to do this before testifying at committee hearings. This is what I'd do. I'd take a [sheet of paper], memorize a talking point, tear the card *tears the card and throws away the pieces*, let the pieces fall as they may. It helps."

Adama. "You know, my father used to break pencils before he'd go into court. He'd borrow one from the clerk. Break preconceptions, work with what you have."

Roslin: "You know, I like that. Let me see. *grabs pencil* I like it. *breaks pencil, throws pieces away, exhales* That's good."

Adama: "Feel better?" [the slightest of grins is visible on Adama's face

Roslin: "Yeah. But what happens if the...ah...moderator doesn't have a pencil?"

Adama: "Then you're pretty screwed."

Poor Roslin starts giggling and won't come down again :D. I think that's a wonderful and funny scene. It really evolves from the moment and works because the character know each other so well.

15. Deckerd

That's precisely the kind of scripted hysteria I mentioned earlier that isn't actually supposed to be funny, as far as I can see.

16. MyCylon

^
    How's that NOT supposed to be funny?

17. Deckerd

Because it's not?

18. MyCylon

^
    But it is! At least I think so.

It would seem we have a different understanding of humor. Or is it that what you're maintaining that while what's on screen is funny, it wasn't meant to be funny when it was written?