How could they evac Pegasus?

Discussion in 'Battlestar Galactica & Caprica' started by Darth_Daver, Oct 21, 2008.

1. solariabsg25

solariabsg25 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The other thing to consider is that even after Galactica had jumped, there were still civvie ships to be protected (Colonial One didn't even leave until after the Pegasus had been destroyed).

Had Lee not jumped in, then Galactica would have gone down, leaving the Basestars and Raiders free to concentrate on the Vipers and civvies.

Had Galactica remained to fight alongside the Pegasus, in her damaged state, a single Basestar could have remained to finish her off while the others engaged Pegasus with the result that Lee would have been forced to jump away to avoid her own destruction, once again leading to larger civilian casualties, along with huge Viper losses as these would have needed to either be abandoned or fight their way through the Basestars and Raiders to reach the Pegasus.

Galactica took the arrival of the Pegasus as an opportunity to get out of harm's way, fix the FTL, land the Vipers, then get the hell out of Dodge.

Lee simply took over the duties of flying target to distract the Cylons, and in the cause of saving the civilians, the Pegasus had to be considered expendable, a fitting end that vindicated her after Cain saw civvies as expendable to continue her fight with the Cylons.

2. darkwing_duck1

darkwing_duck1 Vice Admiral

That's just it...they hadn't been upgraded YET...that was why the ship was at Scorpia, having just recently made port. The Cylons attacked BEFORE Pegasus and her Vipers had been upgraded with the tainted software.

3. David cgc

David cgc Vice Admiral Admiral

Of course, even without the backdoor in the new operating system, the networked systems would still be vulnerable to Cylon hacking, like what happened in "Scattered."

I'd assume that even though the Colonial military had relaxed their standards on networked computers, they were still designed so they could be disconnected and operated independently if worse came to worse. That'd also explain how Adama could keep Galactica operating without a network, even though he probably wouldn't have enough clout to decline whatever refits and upgrades the ship was due for.

4. Kaijufan

Kaijufan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I've always thought the way the Cylons were able to hack the Galactica in Scattered was poorly written. They networked the computers together with cables and the Cylons were still able to hack them? Why couldn't they turn off all wireless signals except for radio contact with their vipers while the computers were networked? If all they did was connect the computers together with wires why can't the Cylons hack each indivdual system when they aren't networked together?

5. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

You're absolutely right. They should be concerned about WIRELESS networks or traffic (both between systems onboard, and between them and the vipers). Wireless would be their way in, and also explain why they had wired phones and older headsets. Of course, Pegasus had way more wireless gear (to look newer and kewler), so would have been at greater risk.

If just networking the computers together, but doing it by hard-wiring them) made them vulnerable, then each system was already vulnerable by itself (moreso because they implied the firewall Gaeda added was new and just for that), and the ship would have been lost before they left the arms depot in the pilot...

6. Kaijufan

They really should of gotten someone who has a passing familiarity with networks to go over the script before they finalized it. I'm sure NBC Universal has a ton of IT staff, they should of just grabbed one of them, made them sign a NDA, and had them read the script.

7. David cgc

8. Kaijufan

When you have to spend 3 pages that are that long explaining it maybe they should of done it differently in the first place.

9. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

and after the 3 long, convoluted pages, I'm still not convinced :p

If they can easily hack all the computers when they are networked, but hardwired together, then can just as easily hack the individual systems. Just something like shutting down the FTL would do it, as they use the same stock footage of like 30 nukes and 100 raiders that always zoom through the spot where Galactica JUST jumped out of. Delaying their jump even 2 seconds would destroy the ship in almost every episode...

10. Kaijufan

I agree. Some of the things he's talking about, like how it's possible that there were actually could of been dozens of computers networked for that episode, and normally some computer systems actually are networked together, go against the dialog from the show.

I also didn't see an answer to how the virus got in there (though the explanation was so long I could of missed it), the Cylons shouldn't of been able to interface with the FTL, navigation, damage control or fire control computers in any way. If they were somehow able to interface with any of those on their own (maybe with the exception of the damage control computer) they could of easily destroyed the ship by preventing the FTL from working, causing the Galactica to jump into a planet, or preventing the weapons from firing.

11. David cgc

Exactly. The basic idea is that the cylons could hack any system with external inputs they wanted to any time (DRADIS, communications, and so on). It's just pointless because there are so many easier was to confound those systems than cyber-warfare. But if one of those is plugged into another, inaccessible system (navigation, engines, fire control, and so on), then hacking in suddenly becomes worth doing.

12. Kaijufan

Yeah but according to the dialog in the episode the networked computers weren't networked to DRADIS or the communications systems. I would think that at most the fire control and navigation computers have something similar to sensors, but I doubt it's something the Cylons could use to plan a virus (or they would of a long time ago to destroy the Galactica by preventing their weapons from working or having them jump into a planet or star).

13. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

It's not about the 'network', it's about the wireless, and they really even ignored that in the 3 page explanation as to how it could have worked. Here's the thing:

If I'm running a wireless network in my house (not even to the internet, just computers networked wirelessly to each other), a skilled enough hacker sitting in my driveway can get in. passwords, encryption, firewalls, with enough skills and time, they get through. If instead, I've got those same 4 comptuers hard-wired to each other (and still no internet access), and there's no wireless component, that guy is shit out of luck.

It's the ACCESS that is the key, not that they are talking to each other. If it's wired and shielded, no one else gets in. If the Cylons can hack THAT, they could have hacked every single system individually in a much shorter time (because Gaeda installed the extra firewalls himself just for this, he said), and accomplished the same goal.

ANd it's NOT a pointless goal for the Cylons. Fire Control was one of the systems they were able to get into when it was networked. If they can get into that system, they prevent Galactica from firing their weapons. KInd of an advantage, don't you think? And if it only cost a couple raiders to try, they'd have done that EVERY time.

Whole thing was just bad writing, and then the writer coming up with bad justifications for the bad writing, making it worse...

14. solariabsg25

solariabsg25 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The problem is, we're dealing with a tech that operates similar to, but differently, to us.

We have never fought an enemy that could over-ride our computer programmes, ordering our weapons to open fire on our own side, or opening us into space.

The Colonials fought the Cylons for over a decade, and it stands to reason that their computer-systems are designed resistant to Cylon interference. We just haven't had someone sit down for a episode explaining how different their computer systems are to ours. DRADIS would appear to be the weak-link, as it has to accept incoming data or it would not work, but shutting off DRADIS, while giving the Cylons an advantage, would not be as devastating as taking power or weapons off-line. From the experiences of the Pegasus in Razor it would seem that weapon stations have their own individual control so could continue firing on manual, even without DRADIS, as engagement appears to be mainly at visual range anyway.

The Colonials were going back to a wholly-networked system, hence the CNP back-door that enabled the Cylon Virus and Logic Bombs to swiftly move from system-system. The CNP could even over-ride any normal virus-warnings that they have (in the Mini Starbuck's Viper systems appeared to give some kind of warning of an incoming virus).

However Galactica's computers may be arranged, they are resistant to the virus infiltration, as evidenced in the Mini. But, as I said, no-one's sat down to explain why.