Holy ....! Doctor Who/Star Trek Crossover coming From IDW!

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by StCoop, Feb 10, 2012.

1. StCoop

StCoop Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Thankfully we've all moved on from those days. Well, except for Ian. (Who I'm honoured to say once called me The Biggest Cunt In Doctor Who Fandom for daring to suggest that his plan to get fans to recolour Ambassadors Of Death and then sell it to the BBC wouldn't come to anything.*)

*It didn't.

2. ATimson

ATimson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Not for 100% sure, but both IDW's separate Trek and Who titles have been; there's no reason to expect this to be different.

3. 23skidoo

23skidoo Admiral Admiral

IDW just did another crossover with Trek. The TARDIS appears in Issue #5 of the TOS/LSH crossover in a collection of time machines held by Flint/Vandal Savage.

Cheers!

Alex

4. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

I wouldn't call it a crossover as much as the Tardis and the Master's Tardis made cameo appearences. There is a link in the Trek Lit thread pointing out all the devices. It was a very cool panel.

5. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

Too bad the creative team is so terrible.

If it was Roberson or maybe Fialkov, there would be some guarantee, but instead they get the guys who wrote TNG Infestation.

Reading IDW is suffering. :(

6. Admiral_Young

Yeah I gotta admit I'm not thrilled with that decision. I avoided Infestation. I hear Tony Lee is "consulting". I was hoping Roberson would do it. He's done a wonderful job with the Star Trek/LOSH crossover.

7. 23skidoo

23skidoo Admiral Admiral

True, but it does serve to indicate that the TARDISes exist in the IDW version of the Trek and DC universes. And knowing IDW's fetish for crossovers I wouldn't be too surprised if there isn't a connection.

I agree it was a cool panel. I didn't actually notice the TARDIS at first. First thing I saw was the time machine from the 1950s version of The Time Machine.

Infestation lost me when I realized they were crossing TOS with TMNT. I mean T-M-bloody-N-T. Given the choice I'm quite happy Doctor Who wasn't involved in Infestation 2 which I'd expected to see.

Tony Lee apparently has a cover writer credit so it may be more than consulting. He's done good work with the comic, but things did get a bit over the top near the end, what with the dinosaur companion and that bizarre Silent Night thing. The jury is still out with me on the current DW team. I like the premise of As Time Goes By but I really can't see past the artwork.

Alex

8. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

Except that it didn't. Infestation wasn't really a crossover in the sense that Star Trek/Legion of Super-Heroes was a crossover. The Transformers didn't meet the Turtles, the Enterprise crew didn't have to battle Storm Shadow. It was more of a "Hey, let's have four series battle zombies!"

Since it's dealing with Lovecraftian horrors, I would have loved to see a Doctor Who element to Infestation 2.

At work, we're hoping that Infestation 3 will be Mars Attacks!-centric. :)

I loved the Christmas issue! That was, for me, a far better Doctor Who Christmas story than "The Doctor, the Widow, and the Wardrobe." :)

I really like Matthew Dow Smith's work on Doctor Who. *shrug*

Issue #16, by the way, is the final issue of this run of Doctor Who. I'm not sure when IDW is relaunching the series. I suspect that the TNG crossover is simply replacing it on the schedule for its duration.

9. Stevil2001

Stevil2001 Vice Admiral Admiral

The Tiptons are pretty much the best Trek writers IDW has got.

Tony Lee, on the other hand, does nothing for me, though his eleventh Doctor stuff looks superior to what has come before from what little I have seen of it.

10. 23skidoo

23skidoo Admiral Admiral

True, but they're still connected by the basic story premise, and every place I see calls it a crossover even if you didn't see Donatello on the Bridge with Captain Kirk and Snake-Eyes.

Except for as noted above. But I'd totally be for a standalone Lovecraftian storyline (even an adaptation of one of his stories) in Doctor Who.

I'm simply not a fan of over stylized art, especially in comics based upon licensed properties. I want my characters to look like they do on TV. And just so it doesn't look like I'm picking on one artist, I'm not a fan of that Salmon fellow who occasionally does art for DWM and Big Finish covers either. My disappointment in the art for Ongoing right now is magnified by the fact I was really really really looking forward to the As Time Goes By storyline, being a huge Casablanca fan. Compare the art in IDW's current run with the art by Martin Geraghty in the recent DWM comic strips and there's no comparison, in my opinion. IDW's run afoul with me before - I picked up issue 1 of their Star Trek The Wrath of Khan adaptation and fortunately flipped through it in the checkout line. I couldn't stand the art so I never bought it again.

I'd tend to agree. There's been no announcement of the title being cancelled (we knew six months in advance that Tony Lee was leaving, so you'd think we'd know if IDW was closing up shop). IDW does finite-numbered series rather than continuous releases: technically we should be up to something close to issue #50, but because they keep restarting the numbering it's just a "meh" when they say issue #X is going to be the last. Wait a few months and they'll launch a new Ongoing with #1 again.

Alex

11. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

That's something to be proud of. I'm sure that there's a lot of competition for that title.

12. CaptainMatt

CaptainMatt Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Say what you will, but Ian has enough money to resurrect Downtime and change it into a proper 7th Doctor adventure.

13. Allyn Gibson

According to this interview with IDW editor Denton Tipton, IDW pitched the BBC on three crossovers last summer at SDCC, and it was Star Trek that the BBC gravitated to, partly because of the reaction IDW got from Trek fandom over the announcement of Star Trek/Legion of Super-Heroes at the con.

I'd speculate that of the other two crossovers IDW pitched, one was probably Doctor Who/Transformers.

Doctor Who/G.I. Joe doesn't really click in the mind, so that probably wasn't the third.

Doctor Who/True Blood could be fantastic, but it would be a pairing of Doctor Who with a mature property, and the BBC would have probably nixed it on those grounds. Same too with Doctor Who/30 Days of Night (which, personally, I think would be fantastic). So I think we can rule both of those out.

We can also rule out Doctor Who/Angel, which would have been awesome, but the Angel license was done at IDW by last summer.

Doctor Who/The Rocketeer would be a ton of fun, but that wasn't likely to have been the third, either. Same with Doctor Who/Godzilla.

I'm leaning toward Doctor Who/Locke & Key or Doctor Who/John Byrne's Next Men as the third crossover concept IDW pitched to the BBC, but they're both kinda niche properties in comparison to Doctor Who.

Now, if there's a crossover after this upcoming Star Trek series, I would love Doctor Who/Mars Attacks. :)

14. Admiral_Young

Doctor Who/Transformers could be crazy fun if handled correctly. Doctor Who/Angel or Doctor Who/Buffy The Vampire Slayer could theoretically happen if Dark Horse would be open to talks. Since DC okay'd the Legion/Star Trek crossover, I don't see why other company crossovers wouldn't be able to happen.

15. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Doctor Who/Mars Attacks could be interesting. the rest...eh. i mean i like Buffy and Angel i just don't think it would make for a crossover.

16. Allyn Gibson

One thing that's generally gone unremarked in the noise of TNG/Doctor Who is that the current 11th Doctor ongoing (first by Tony Lee, now by Joshua Hale Fialkov) is ending with issue #16, a month before Assimilation-Squared debuts.

At the London Super Comic Con today, IDW announced that Andy Diggle will be writing the next ongoing Doctor Who series. Diggle is the creator of The Losers. He also cowrote Judge Dredd/Aliens, and has worked on Batman, Hellblazer, and Daredevil. He's a left field choice for Doctor Who -- I'd mainly associate him with mature readers properties -- so I'm curious to see what he'll bring to Doctor Who.

17. Allyn Gibson

To follow up, Bleeding Cool has more; Diggle's artist will be Mark Buckingham.

Also, IDW has announced that TNG/Doctor Who will be available officially in the UK.

18. Stevil2001

Stevil2001 Vice Admiral Admiral

I liked Diggle's work on Green Arrow: Year One, and I've heard good things about his sf in Adam Strange: Planet Heist. This could be good.

19. Cutter John

Cutter John Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I gotta confess, I'm one of those crusty old goats who tends to grumble about continuity. But I figure this is just a bit of fun, and some cheap publicity so I'm not going to get too worked up.

Of course they could just have the Tardis do another bit of universe hopping and call it good. :)

20. Allyn Gibson

Comic Book Resources has up an interview with the Tiptons about the crossover. They talk about why it's a TNG story (25th-anniversary, airing currently on BBC America) and the profound differences between the Borg and the Cybermen, amongst other things.