Holy ....! Doctor Who/Star Trek Crossover coming From IDW!

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by StCoop, Feb 10, 2012.

1. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Wouldn't make for a very long comic book. The Doctor wins by waving the sonic screwdriver around engineering, effectively reversing the polarity of the neutron flow. Geordi and Data spend too long trying to figure out a solution using Trek's even more complicated and nonsensical technobabble.

2. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

^ Nah, you're thinking of Voyager, not Next Gen.

3. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

I can completely imagine that conversation...

Geordi: What did you do?

The Doctor: I reversed the polarity of the neutron flow! It's all as good as new!

Data: I am afraid that that does not make sense. A neutron flow by definition would consist of neutrons, and neutrons do not carry a charge, therefore there is no polarity to reverse.

The Doctor: Yes, erm, well, you have to admit that what I did worked.

Geordi: Yes, but I still like to know what someone's done to my engines.

4. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

:lol:

5. CaptainMatt

CaptainMatt Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

So when does the first issue come out again? Will it have as the cover as the artwork of the Doctor and companions on the Enterprise-D bridge?

6. 23skidoo

23skidoo Admiral Admiral

Apparently May. We may find out in a few days if it ends up being the third item on this TrekToday news release:

http://www.trektoday.com/content/2012/02/idw-publishing-trek-comics-for-may/

After all, the big question mark is a bit of a giveaway don't you think?

It's a bit amusing some of the fear and loathing I'm seeing over this from some quarters. I mean, I'm sorry, the Star Trek franchise survived Trek and the X-Men crossing over - twice, if I recall. Doctor Who didn't implode because the Doctor spent several years travelling around with a talking penguin. And there was apparently some serious suggestion to actually doing a live-action crossover back in the early planning of the revival series. The Sun is still orbiting around the Earth, flying reindeer continue to be a navigation hazard for airliners above the 60th parallel, and we know Doctor Who will still return to TV before Guy Lombardo rings in another New Year. ;)

Alex

7. Timofnine

Timofnine Saintly henchman of Santa Premium Member

Re: Holy Shit! Doctor Who/Star Trek Crossover coming From IDW!

I have died and gone to heaven.... well at least I will have done when these are released!

Never been one for comics, but this has definitely got my attention!! :D

8. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

StarTrek.com confirms May release for issue 1, with Awesome cover image.

Details.

9. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

This doesn't automatically whet my appetite, but, I have no objection to it if it's something some fans will love. I may check it out and love it afterall, but, even when I do check it out, if it doesn't appeal to me, as Alex says, it's not gonna do any damage, so no reason to protest it, if it doesn't appeal to some, they can simply ignore it.

10. JRoss

JRoss Commodore Commodore

Not very hopeful for this one.

11. JRoss

JRoss Commodore Commodore

I've been saying that Guinan is a Time Lord for years. I just think that they're sending the wrong Doctor and set of companions. Should have been Five (just like Picard), Seven (would have been perfect and schemy) or Four (because he's Four).

12. Allyn Gibson

IDW's Doctor Who license doesn't cover new stories for past Doctors. Yes, The Forgotten had new stories of old Doctors in its six issues, but IDW was told politely by the BBC after that not to do that again. Working within the parameters they have, the eleventh Doctor is their only option. *shrug*

13. StCoop

StCoop Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

14. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

I just imagine Four's OTT-ness being a perfect match for 1960s era Trek.

Nine should meet with the DS9 crew - not just for numerical reasons but the gritty Doctor ought to meet the gritty Trek.

15. 23skidoo

23skidoo Admiral Admiral

The official IDW announcement:

http://www.idwpublishing.com/news/article/2224/

Is anyone here a member of the Gallifrey Base? For various reasons I've chosen not to join that community. One fan group is responding to this news, well, not very favorably. (The headline for this news on its blog simply reads "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!") Gallifrey Base is known for its sometimes volatile discussions. I'd be interested to hear if WWIII has broken out over there.

Me, I'm going in with an open mind. If the story works and they provide a plausible explanation for merging the two universes, then that's fine. If it doesn't work - not whether the story is any good, but whether merging is actually accomplished in a way that is consistent with the continuity - then I'll just file this with Scream of the Shalka, Dimensions in Time, and Curse of Fatal Death (officially licensed and sanctioned Doctor Who productions that don't count in the canon). I'm looking forward to it. And I didn't expect it to be 8 issues.

Alex

16. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

LOL, Gallifrey Base explodes over anything and everything, from what I understand.

Really, you don't think much of Scream of the Shalka? I think it's an awesome story, and wish there were more Richard E. Grant episodes, Derek Jacobi's Master as his companion was a terrific idea, that I would've liked to see explored further. And, it's got Liz X in it as the Girl he hangs out with in the story

17. Allyn Gibson

The reaction over there has been odd.

First, the mods wouldn't allow discussion of the comic in the Who magazine and comic forum. Until today they keep moving posts and merging them into a thread in the general forum whenever someone posts in the comic forum about it. Now today, they've moved it all back over to comics. It's quite bizarre.

Second, the reaction, which is what I think you're interested in, has been generally muted. There's one person who says it can't possibly "count" because it's in a comic book that's not published by Panini. The issue of Star Trek as a fictional entity within the Doctor Who universe has been brought up many times. (Someone suggested, in all seriousness, that there should be a knowing meta level to the story, along the lines of the "Visit to a Weird Planet" and "Visit to a Weird Planet Revisited" Star Trek fanfic stories.) And there are some who are upset that Star Trek is sullying their beloved Doctor Who. I'd say that, of the people who have posted, the postives are running about equal to the negative reactions.

(Honestly, the easy workaround on the "Spock" reference is an untold crossover where the ninth Doctor and Rose met Spock. ;) )

By the way, Alex, do you have a link to that "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!" post? I think I'd really like to read it. :)

Last edited: Feb 14, 2012
  18. The Dominion

The Dominion Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Q better be in it.

19. Kelthaz

Kelthaz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

You'd think that sci-fi fans wouldn't limit their imaginations so much. I think this is a fantastic idea and I hope we see more Star Trek crossovers in the future. Farscape would be pretty cool.

20. Allyn Gibson

I think Farscape/Doctor Who would work a lot better. :)

Another one that's just occurred to me -- Doctor Who and Edgar Rice Burroughs' Barsoom. Dynamite and IDW teaming up on that could be pretty cool, especially if we got an Alex Ross cover. :)