Heroes 3x20 "Cold Snap" Discuss and Grade

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Dream, Mar 23, 2009.

?

Grade the episode

1. Excellent

31.0%
  2. Above Average

56.3%
  3. Average

11.3%
  4. Below Average

1.4%
  5. Poor

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Gertch

Gertch Admiral

What was that wink? Kinda creepy with only half a frozen face.

2. FreezeC77

FreezeC77 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

WTF? When did Matt turn into Peter?

dream sequence mayhaps?

3. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

She's as cold as ice.......

4. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

I think the Parkman flying thing is just some illusion he's making in her head.

EDIT: Oy, I was right...didn't see that last bit coming though. Bye Daphne.

5. Gertch

Gertch Admiral

Wow, that was actually pretty touching.

This episode leaves me a little hopeful about the show. Not season 1 great but it was certainly a step up.

6. DeafPoet

DeafPoet Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That actually didn't suck. If they let Fuller run the show there might yet be hope!

7. FALCONX0N

FALCONX0N Captain Captain

Wow, I did not expect that she'd shatter...or that she'd still be alive. Interesting...

Oh no...that's...I've got a bad feeling about Flying Parkman....

CRAP! MY DVR just cut out. Can somebody tell me what happened after Daphne revealed it was all in her head? Am I right in guessing that she died on the table?

8. melancholymecha

melancholymecha Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

awww I had hoped theyd keep Daphne alive...
    anyway this was a great ep, it felt like a season 1 ep!

ps I think I know why Tracy winked....but I cant say anymore...

9. brianbeercan

brianbeercan Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Still not awesome. The Daphne stuff felt forced. Hiro was less one dimensional this week, but what's up with Ando's power? So it's either a supercharger or a fireball? Weak. No Sylar this week, that was a good thing.

10. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Well that was a great improvement in quality! Definitely the best episode of the "Fugitives" volume. Suddenly the characters had personalities and motivations and touching little moments! Of course it helps that all the douchey characters (Claire, Sylar, Peter, Nathan) were off-screen ;) Hiro deals with his mother's death... Parkman and Daphe work out their relationship (permanently)... we see Janice for the first time since S1? and learn his baby's power... Hiro gets his power back but minus the time travel and teleportation thank gawd... we finally learn Micah is Rebel (gasp!)... Nikki-clone sacrifices herself but is still alive as Hydro-Man... this was all good stuff!

11. The Habs Fan

The Habs Fan Commodore Commodore

I have to give this episode an Excellent for the sheer amount of stuff that happens. This is, IMO, the best episode of Volume IV. I even liked it better than any episode in Volume III. Very surprising since it didn't even feature my favourite character, Sylar (the only character I cared about this season on Heroes. That is, until this episode).

This episode had one of the best, if not the best, Daphne/Matt stories. I did not figure out that it was all a dream until Daphne did (I instead thought that I had forgot that Matt had somehow learned the power of flight, so I was trying to remember the episode he learned it). Daphne's death was so touching and it was surprising to me as I didn't expect her to die. I did find her initial break up with Matt kind of abrupt and out of character since he just saved her life, but if she knew it was a dream and that she was dying all along, it does kind of make sense that she'd try to push Matt away and not break his heart.

Micah being Rebel was not surprising, but really who else could it be?

Overall, a great episode and the best of Season 3.

12. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

I thought Daphe leaving him was completely left-field as well, but it makes sense in retrospect. When Parkman flew, I thought he was Sylar who got a shape-shifting ability at some point and was about to kill her.

13. The Habs Fan

Yeah, well he also wrote Living Witness, Drone, and Relativity. So, he also wrote some of the best episodes in Trek history.

14. The Habs Fan

The Sylar thing also crossed my mind.

15. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

I must say, this episode really did validate the Bryan Fuller hype. While I was one of the few who enjoyed S2 and "Villains", even I found "Fugitives" to be subpar. This episode was really a breath of fresh air... and now I'm excited about seeing the future of the show again. Particularly once we get out of this "Fugitives" arc and get back to having super-powered villains!

16. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

It does seem a step in the right direction however I couldn't stop laughing during the whole Parkman sequence, at least they put a kabosh to all that nonsense, I could never buy into that.

17. Arlo

Arlo Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Garbage. Sorry, this episiode was the same incoherent nonsense as before.

Winking ice? Peter Suddenly in an elevator shaft to save his mom? The Parkman TV set is always showing the same news footage? Feh.

18. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

I thought that the baby was controlling the TV to show his daddy. As for Peter's rescue, he was watching her from the sky. When he saw her duck into the building, he flew into the elevator shaft. Hell, maybe it will turn out they had an escape plan worked out in advance or something. The winking ice actually makes a kind of sense to me, because I was surprised she was susceptible to her own ice power. Lord knows Bobby Drake's been shattered and melted a million times! ;)

19. Trent Roman

Trent Roman Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Was it a wink? Her eye opened but didn't close again--and a tear ran down her cheek. Melt? Maybe. But I thought she was dead and, frankly, still do. If she is, though - good exit. Third triplet, coming up!

Fictitiously yours, Trent Roman

20. Daneel

Daneel Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Now that's more like it! Not quite an excellent, but definitely an above average for me.

OMG, Micah is Rebel! I totally didn't see that coming!!!

;)

Well, at any rate, I don't mind seeing the kid again... I just hope they give him something interesting to do.

Hiro and Ando had some amusing moments, and yes, I got a kick out of all the Trek references. Hiro's attitude toward the baby seemed a little out of place to me at first, but I guess it sort of makes sense, after he revealed he still wasn't completely over going through his mother's death once again. Oh yeah, and Hiro has his powers back, but they are considerably reduced. Good. I hope we don't have to see any more time-travelling on the show for awhile, if ever.

Nice to see Swoosie Kurtz, but is she going to be in any more episodes? She seems kind of wasted for this one scene. I was glad, though, that they referenced Angela's bizarre behaviour in early Season 1 (i.e. the shoplifting) -- good to see they haven't forgotten some of the smaller details about the show's history.

The Matt/Daphne stuff happened a little abruptly (as did the Tracy/Micah stuff, to a degree), but it was reasonably well-handled. When I saw Matt join her in Paris, my initial response was, "Wha?" When he flew, for a moment, I felt like shouting "That makes even less sense than him painting prophetic visions! How the hell does he keep getting these new powers?" I really should have realized that it was all an illusion, but it was a nice, touching surprise, especially in light of Daphne's death immediately thereafter. So long, road runner.

So Daphne seems to definitely be gone... is Tracy? It would appear so (although I don't know what to make of that (winking?) ice eye thing -- if there's no explanation, it's just ridiculous). If she is dead, at least she had a decent demise, IMO. It's strange, though: both Daphne and Tracy die in the same episode. That's two of the show's younger female cast members, pretty much leaving just Claire. That's no way to attract the superficial male demographic! What are they thinking? ;) Well, in any event, it would be nice to see the producers strengthen the female presence on the show, as I hope they will.

I look forward to next week. Mr. Fuller, welcome back... now please don't let us down.