Here come the 4K tellies

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by JoeZhang, Aug 29, 2012.

1. The Grim Ghost

The Grim Ghost Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

You rang? ;)

2. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

As long as this drops the price in old TVs, I'm all for it.

3. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

In the next, next, generation of HD TVs scientists can actually use electron microscopes in order to study the covalent bonds int he water molecules in the beads of sweat in the brow of a politician!

Seriously, at some point we're going to hit a wall where the finer detail is pointless because it's more detail than can be seen with the human eye. I suspect we're nearing there as it is. Sure there are plenty of times even on HDTV where details are still blurry or muddy but sooner or later we'll reach digitally the limits of what was captured originally on film. Then, say, we upgrade to these super-HD cameras and then we'll reach the limits of even what the human eye can see without aid.

Sure, maybe, someday a video recording of someone will allow the use of microscopes or whatever to study infinitely small details on a recording but what's the point in that?

4. Haggis and tatties

Haggis and tatties Vice Admiral Admiral

Rab C Nesbits vest in 8k(7680 × 4320).......:eek::lol:

5. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

6. Pingfah

Pingfah Fleet Admiral Admiral

Well this new Sony set is much higher resolution, but it is also 4 times the size that most people have now, which I imagine is the point. Not to make small TVs in excruciatingly fine detail, but to make TVs bigger.

I think those bemoaning the lack of content are missing the point as well. The standards for HDTV were put in place long before any HD sets were realistically available to the public, they started testing in the 70s, and that is what is happening here. They are betting on the future rather than just assuming things will stay the same, which is kind of what companies like Sony are all about.

This TV is coming out now "because they can", because it is good for their brand to do it. They are not trying to sell it to Joe Bloggs, they just want Joe Bloggs to see that they can and will develop this stuff.

7. shivkala

shivkala Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

This might explain the fact that a buddy just got a 38" for about $200 at Hhgregg this weekend.

8. jefferiestubes8

jefferiestubes8 Commodore Commodore

Currently in the professional broadcast monitor world only about a handful of minitors are available with 4k.
    4k projectors are available in many movie theaters.

4k tvs may happen but TV wont be moving to 4k as standard before 2022.
    2025 is the time we are looking at for 8k UHDTV in the usa.
    Wall-sized screens like in Back to the Future II will be how it goes with 8k.
    Yes 4k screens will allow for multiple picture-in-picture viewing also how Marty,Jr. Watched tv in Back to the Future II. 4 1080p HD channels at once.

9. Candlelight

Candlelight Admiral Admiral

I can't wait to watch my old 377i Doctor Who episodes upscaled to 2160p!

10. stoneroses

stoneroses Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

11. wildstar

wildstar Commander Red Shirt

I'd be more excited if my local cable provider (Shaw) didn't compress the image so much. You can actually see the jpg type of blockiness. Kinda makes the HD pointless.