Has the Blood & Chrome miniseries aired yet?

Discussion in 'Battlestar Galactica & Caprica' started by Arpy, Sep 8, 2012.

1. Arpy

Arpy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Anyone know when it will?

2. PsychoPere

PsychoPere Vice Admiral Admiral

As far as I'm aware, the last confirmed news regarding Blood & Chrome was back in March - the pilot will not move forward as a television series but may still return to its web series roots. The pilot will supposedly on Syfy Channel "at a future date."

3. NrobbieC

NrobbieC Commander Red Shirt

That was a bad choice, trailer for B&C looked epic.

4. Arpy

Arpy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Hell, I just want to see the pilot. Don't have my hopes up for web-based anything.

5. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

One would hope they'd show it somewhere - hate to have all that work go to waste!

6. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Captain Captain

I wouldn't put it passed them to just break up the pilot into little mini-webisodes.

This is the same channel that essentially aired five seasons of Battlestar Galactica for the cost of producing four. Face it, Season "4.5" aired so much later that it was really Season 5. Likewise, Caprica was aired over two seasons for the price of one.

7. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

Someone needs to acquire it and set it free.

8. Mars

Mars Commander Red Shirt

I think the SyFy channel has more important things like vampire shows to air, God forbid they ever have science fiction on the SyFy channel!

9. NrobbieC

NrobbieC Commander Red Shirt

They do have Warehouse 13, that's like their only redeeming virtue.

10. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

Warehouse 13 is hugely fun but it's not exactly sci fi :(

It's weird as someone who just came out of a BSG marathon and then watched Caprica to hear there was a pilot set in the same universe (with an awesome name) and it is NOT the biggest thing ever to be seen on tv. Why why why why.

11. Robert Maxwell

Robert Maxwell Comfortably Numb Premium Member

Wrestling is cheaper and gets better ratings.

12. Wereghost

Wereghost Part-time poltergeist Commodore

From the Wikipedia entry:

I think it's high time they got on with it and stopped stringing people along. Why the heck not air it as one of their TV movies and gauge the reaction?

13. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

Because if the reaction is bad, it will make them look like fools for ever greenlighting the pilot.

And if the reaction is good, they'll be under pressure to greenlight a whole series, even if they would rather do wrestling or vampires or wrestling vampires.

That why networks never show backdoor pilots unless they've already decided they'd be willing to do a whole series, and the backdoor pilot ratings are just the last hurdle for the show to clear.

Otherwise, its a no-win situation for them. Presumably, SyFy has written B&C off at this point, otherwise they would have done something long before now.

14. Robert Maxwell

I'd like to know how SyFy is "stringing people along," anyway. They aren't even advertising this. It's most likely dead. They may burn it off on TV or online at some point, but that depends on whether they think it's polished enough to see the light of day. If not, it will just be embarrassing.

15. Wereghost

Wereghost Part-time poltergeist Commodore

I din't know about that. I don't see why one of their cheap event movies can't just happen to be in the space opera genre. A little clever advertising of it as a standalone project should do the trick,unless of course the pilot as filmed is obviously jonesing to be a series.

From the wikipedia article, they appear to be equivocating to some extent. They should make it available in some form, even if it means just paroling it on the website prior to withdrawing the thing altogether.

16. Relayer1

Relayer1 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I loved new BSG but Caprica was poor on so many levels.

Much as Blood and Chrome interests me, it's probably for the best if it slips quietly away rather than further sullying the franchise.

17. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

They may not look like fools to the majority of the audience, who aren't aware that a series was even under development because people mostly don't care about that stuff.

But don't discount internal corporate politics in all this. Maybe the people who pushed for it just want it quietly to go away and not be further embarrassed by their failure. When you've got people constantly angling for your job like I'm sure they all do, it's never a good thing to advertise failure.

This isn't just an isolated case specific to SyFy. Every year the networks fund a slew of pilots that don't get picked up, and nobody ever shows them, even in some obscure summer timeslot to fill airtime. Network viewers wouldn't know that they were failed pilots anymore than SyFy viewers would. Why do they never see the light of day?

Corporate politics seems like the most likely explanation. If everyone were being rational, they'd show the pilots because a little money is better than no money. There's something other than money at stake that's driving this decision.

Another issue could be advertisers. Maybe it's not worth the trouble to try to sell the airtime for failed pilots. Would the advertisers think, "I don't want my products associated with failure"? Would it distract from the main business of selling series time? Would the sales department balk at having "crap" dumped on them to sell? That's a different type of corporate politics but it probably has real influence. In any ad supported business, the sales department would be powerful, they are the ones bringing in everyone's paycheck after all.

18. Sindatur

Sindatur Vice Admiral Admiral

The thing is, all buzz has been positive. The Trailer they showed at ComicCon was well received. The folks who saw it to for Toy development were impressed, there hasn't been any insider who had any hesitation in praising it, and what's been released was well received, and Action Packed.

If I was to guess, I would have to say it's related to the Man Hours required to produce more of the same.

It's really hard to imagine, that they wouldn't make at least their $5 Million Investment back with the release of a DVD and then the advertizing revenues from airing it on SyFy. I think A group of Jr. Execs are afraid it will be enough of a hit that they'd be expected by their Seniors to produce more for cheaper and on a schedule, and they can't do it, because they misjudged the Man hours to do the CGI sets.

19. archeryguy1701

archeryguy1701 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Have you seen any of their "sy-fy original movies"? Whether or not it's embarrasing doesn't seem to be a major concern for them. ;)

20. Robert Maxwell

By "embarrassing" I mean the ratings. Those "original movies" get better ratings than BSG did in its original airing. Think about that.

(To be fair, the miniseries was their highest-rated movie at the time it aired, too.)