Has anyone given up on TV?

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Gingerbread Demon, Jul 21, 2016.

1. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Well, that's a whole other issue. Whether the characters are "dark" or not has nothing to do with a show's quality: the acting, the writing, the production values, etc. You can have great shows about brooded, troubled, morally ambiguous characters and you can have great shows about more sunny, upright characters. And you can have bad shows either way, too. Whether the characters are dark or light doesn't determine whether a show is worth watching or not. IMHO.

To paraphrase Oscar Wilde, TV shows are neither dark nor light. Only well done or badly done. :)

stardream likes this.
  2. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

Why? Most of the lessons that characters learn at the end of that type of show were pretty obvious and hokey - outside of shows for small children is there much of a demand for such content?

cultcross and Brefugee like this.
  3. Greg Cox

So all modern TV shows should aspire to the artistic heights of an ABC Afterschool Special?

By that standard, a "Very Special" episode of THE FACTS OF LIFE is preferable to, say, "City on the Edge of Forever" or pretty much any episode of THE X-FILES.

Brefugee and Sto-Vo-Kory like this.
  4. RandyS

RandyS Vice Admiral Admiral

No, that was just my way of saying I prefer episodic TV.

5. Greg Cox

Ah, I think I conflated that comment with your earlier complaint about dark, angsty characters and assumed you were lobbying for more upbeat, moralistic endings or whatever.

6. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

I don't necessarily want Stepford characters, but neither do I want nuBSG-style "scrape the bottom of the barrel" types.

7. ThankQ

ThankQ Fleet Admiral Admiral

There's our issue. If you have it on authority what other people should like, I can understand why you find it frustrating when they don't enjoy what they should.

8. RandyS

Well, Yeah, I would like to see those things on occassion, sure. Dark stories and angsty characters have their place, and there's nothing wrong with that. But I just think it's gotten to be too much there for a while. I'm hoping the new Star Trek takes a lighter approach.

9. RandyS

Then there's no issue. I only speak for myself.

10. Kor

Kor Fleet Admiral Admiral

I like characters that are dark and complex, and I like endings that don't offer neat, trite, and simplistic morality lessons.

What I don't like are indecisive, touchy-feely characters that reflect society's trend toward passive-aggressive oversensitivity and taking personal offense at everything. Show some hardness and strength.

Kor

Last edited: Jul 30, 2016
    Marsden and Ridcully like this.
  11. Greg Cox

Or we can have both, and every gradation in-between, depending on the show, the genre--and what you're in the mood for on any given occasion. Not every show needs to have the same kind of characters, nor do we as viewers need prefer one over another..

Sometimes you want something light and heart-warming. Sometimes you want something dark and disturbing. We are large, we contain multitudes . . . :)

CorporalCaptain likes this.
  12. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yes, that would be a nice change.

13. RandyS

Agreed, there should be a mix of both, but not too heavy on the darker stuff as has been the trend for the last decade or so.

14. Pondwater

Pondwater Vice Admiral Admiral

I only watch DVDs. The only time I watch TV is when I go over to my folk's place or whenever I pet sit.

15. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

Thank goodness they aren't!

16. Sir Anthony Eden

Sir Anthony Eden Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

This year I've been enjoying Scream, Orange is the New Black, Suits, The Good Wife, Jessica Jones, Top Gear, Gotham, Daredevil, Doctor Who, The Daily Politics, Big Bang Theory, Two Broke Girls, Brooklyn 99, Parks and Recreation, New X Files, Bates Motel, The Americans, From Dusk till Dawn, Man in the High Castle, Supergirl, The Flash, Agent Carter, Agent's of Shield, 12 Monkeys, DC's Legends of Tomorrow, Silicon Valley, Veep, Blindspot, Limitless, Game of Thrones and Castle. So for me there's a lot of great stuff on TV.

auntiehill likes this.
  17. Greg Cox

And tonight is Sharknado: The Fourth Awakens!

(I'm not helping my case here, am I?)

18. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

They seem to have a certain self awareness. At least the ads make me think so.

19. Greg Cox

If by that you meant that they're deliberately campy and dopey and over-the-top . . . absolutely!

20. Brefugee

Brefugee No longer living the Irish dream. Premium Member

We don't watch any live TV really, it's mainly using the on-demand services that we use or streaming sites.