Harbinger?... (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Battlestar Galactica & Caprica' started by USS Gettysburg, Mar 21, 2009.

1. USS Gettysburg

USS Gettysburg Captain Captain

I think the "harbinger of death" line deserves some more thought. Many have dismissed the line as something RDM abandoned in order to move the show in a different direction for the finale. However, I don't know if the ending of the show invalidated the line. For summaries sake here are the lines:

• "You are the Harbinger of Death, Kara Thrace. You will lead them all to their end."
    • "You must not follow her. She is the Harbinger of Death."

So what do those mean? Harbinger in the archaic means to go ahead and find lodging, which obviously Kara did. But, that doesn't jive with the death part. Unless you say that the death is for the cylons who will now never be able to procreate because Kara flipped the switch to elude them forever. Both times it was a hybrid speaking. So "you must not follow her" and death could be the hybrid's warning to cylons, not humans.

Harbinger in the modern form of course means one who brings about or leads others to a monumental change... Well she certainly did that, but it didn't kill anyone. Although the FTL jump did kill Galactica, which put an end to their journey in some sense. I smiled when Adama realizes that Galactica is permanently disabled and immediately states with certaintly that they were staying put.

Could the death also be the death of the cycle, "this has all happened before, and will happen again?" We'll we don't know that either... thanks angels! Does the end of the cycle mean that humans and cylons will eventually fade out of existence and meet their end? Or does it mean that, like in the Bible, the end of the Christ story signifies the eventual end of God's intimate connection with humans through prophecy and visions? You could draw all sorts of connections with death and the end of the cycle.

I think my ultimate point is that we still cannot dismiss the hybrids' prophecy. The message still means something and that its ultimate meaning is still shrouded in quite a bit of ambiguity, but wonderful subtext, symbolism, and allegorical references.

2. Legolas

Legolas Commodore Commodore

All good points.

I think what i realized today is that Kara is Jesus. She willingly sacraficed herself to save those she loved, like what Jesus did for humanity, and her dead body wound up on cylon earth. She was then resurrected to complete her mission and when she was done she ascended like jesus did after he met with his disciples post resurrection and told them to spread "The "Word".

and I also think that "our God" is probably one of The Lords of kobol.

3. Chess Piece Face

Chess Piece Face Commodore Commodore

She brought about the end of the cylon and kobolian human races. The new race is Hera based. She is technically the harbinger of death to both sides in this war.

Although I have no idea how the hybrid knew it, and it was presented as something other than what it turned out to be, which I chalk up to bad writing. Especially since we don't know anything more about Kara now than we did when her viper returned in season 3 or whenever that was.

4. USS Gettysburg

USS Gettysburg Captain Captain

I like that one. Yea, I don't know why the hybrids would either besides maybe their gibberish was slightly plugged into the cosmic going ons.

5. Ryan Thomas Riddle

Ryan Thomas Riddle Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

She did bring death -- the death of their previous civilization, which ended when they gave up the "baggage" of the ships, the technology, and their way of Colonial/Cylon life.

When she led them to their end, Earth, it also led to the death of that previous culture and the birth of something new.

6. CaptainHarlock

CaptainHarlock Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

* I don´t know. It seems forced. Ron Moore could explain why the old hybrid say that.

7. nx1701g

nx1701g Admiral Admiral