Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Ryan8bit, May 8, 2014.
Commander is #5. Data is #7 (including both the name Data, and actual data). Spock is #11 (I think half of these might be in TMP alone ). Human is #19. Klingon is #22.
Good use of proper nouns. There's a few more in the bunch I think.
The rest of these weren't in there, but percent was at least #82, and quadrant was #92.
None of these are there but log, and that was already guessed.
Life was a tricky one. I figured that alive, life, etc were all part of the same word, but also that it was too common. Same with death and related words.
Station is #33, mission just missed at #55, report is #24, and torpedo surprisingly wasn't on the list.
Vulcan came in at #43, but the others weren't on there.
Power is at #6, but the rest didn't quite make it.
I said upthread that it didn't count phrases. Those would likely not beat out single words anyways. I did in the other thread mentioned in the first post count how many times Harry said to get a lock.
Sorry, Lucky got this one in shortly before you. But it was a good one.
Federation is #31. Planets was already guessed.
Impulse was #96 at least, but the others weren't on there.
I'll have the updated list in a moment.
EDIT: The list is updated. I noticed that there was a slight sorting error, so some of the places of answers got shifted around a little bit. Those near 50 may have been bumped or accepted. There's still 22 left to go!
Time (Too common?)
Huh, out of all my picks, I would have thought that Alert would have been in the top 50, nevermind 100 (Red, Yellow, occasional blue; medical alert, etc), and certainly thought it was my best bet, rather than shields. Funny that.
(Definitely top 100 for ST Voyager. ST overall, maybe not. )
Phase or phasic
For proper names I'll also throw in Odo. Because like Data and Spock, he's a very prominent character in a seven season series always referred to by the same name.
weapon, if we haven't already had it.
Wait, wait. Nobody's guessed 'Space' yet? How is that possible?
Picard only made #61. Sisko even less at #88. And Janeway even less at #95. Hmm. Archer was much further down. Riker was actually #75.
Cardassian is #38, so there's one actually in the top 50. Bajoran was close at #52. It's worth noting that I combined Cardassia and Cardassian(s), Bajor and Bajoran(s), or any other species that came from a homeworld with the same root name.
Voyager is #49. Borg was only #66. System is a great one at #9.
Most of these have been guessed already. Only Prophet and Wormhole weren't, and neither are on the list.
Haha, lutefisk. The only one of these on the list is Computer at #16, which is a good one. The next closest one here that wasn't too generic was quarters at #73.
Chief wasn't bad, but came in at #54. I think main was too generic. Officer is at #35.
Good one. #20.
Yeah, it didn't actually occur that much.
Orbit was #77. The rest didn't quite make it.
Core was the closest just outside the top 100. The rest didn't make it.
We haven't, and it's #26!
I'll post the updated list shortly.
The closest was subspace, but I didn't think to credit him space. It's #49.
Here's the updated list:
1. captain(s): 15,849 (Joel_Kirk)
2. ship(s)/starship(s)/spaceship(s)/warship(s): 9,500 (Tarheel)
3. sir: 9,380 (JirinPanthosa)
4. doctor(s): 5,555 (Lucky)
5. commander/sub-commander: 4,599 (JirinPanthosa)
6. power (and derivatives): 3,343 (Sran)
7. data/Data/database: 3,319 (JirinPanthosa)
8. Enterprise: 3,081 (B.J.)
9. system(s): 3,039 (Lucky)
10. warp/transwarp: 2,746 (Lucky)
11. Spock: 2,692 (JirinPanthosa)
13. planet(s)/planetary: 2,660 (Tarheel)
14. lieutenant: 2,649 (shadow55)
15. Starfleet: 2,632 (Lucky)
16. computer(s): 2,575 (Vandervecken)
17. engine(s)/engineer(s)/engineering: 2,556 (shadow55)
18. transport (and derivatives including transporter): 2,543 (Lucky)
19. human(s)/humanoid(s): 2,526 (JirinPanthosa)
20. order (and derivatives): 2,498 (Tom)
21. Klingon(s): 2,282 (JirinPanthosa)
22. bridge: 2,215 (shadow55)
23. report (and derivatives): 2,165 (Lucky)
24. beam (and derivatives): 2,137 (JirinPanthosa)
25. weapon(s): 2,136 (WillsBabe)
26. aye: 2,080 (MacLeod)
27. aboard/board: 2,028 (Vandervecken)
29. sensor(s): 1,987 (Lucky)
30. Federation: 1,972 (MacLeod)
31. destroy (and derivatives): 1,938 (Vandervecken)
32. station(s): 1,914 (Lucky)
33. shield(s)/shielding: 1,889 (Cyke101)
34. officer(s): 1,879 (JirinPanthosa)
37. Cardassia(n)(ns): 1,805 (Lucky)
41. log(s)/starlog: 1,728 (shadow55)
43. Vulcan: 1,643 (DrCorby)
46. attack (and derivatives): 1,551 (Tarheel)
47. fire(d): 1,487 (Joel_Kirk)
48. Voyager: 1,405 (Lucky)
49. space: 1,402 (JirinPanthosa)
I sorted some things around again because there was a word on the list that was in the most common 500 English words on the list that I missed, and I didn't think people would guess it, so I removed it. That makes 13 left!
From here on I'll just be posting the updated list since I can't edit the first post anymore.
Might as well throw in Romulan, Quark and Ferengi.
Which derivatives of hologram did you group together? If it was grouped with holodeck and any other word with holo- in it, it just might make the list.
Separate names with a comma.