GTA V Announced

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Jax, Oct 25, 2011.

1. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

I thought you could organize your own heists, not only as part of story missions.

2. AlphaMan

AlphaMan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

LOL!!

Theres a point in the narrative where Michael has a life altering event with his family. I actually decided to go on a long drive/rampage after that and visited a shrink for the first time in the game... and yes, I'm a pure psycho with Trevor and prefer Trucks and country/rock music. Franklin likes West Coast Classics and Modern rap and Mike likes 80's pop.

3. AlphaMan

I'm about 4 heist in at this point.... Only 1 where I was able to hire a crew, though.

4. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Unlocked Trevor. Man he's nuts. A fun nuts but nuts.

:lol:

And man, planes "drive" like a slightly more controllable paper airplane.

5. QCzar

QCzar Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Washington, DC - Taxation Without Representation
    I love switching to Trevor. He often seems to have been doing something wacky. And I especially like that whatever it was is left to your imagination.

As with driving, aircraft handling supposedly improves the more you do it (without crashing, that is). I have filled out most of the three characters' driving skill (easy to do, considering the nature of the game) and there is a slight, but noticeable improvement in handling. Especially with sports cars.

I have mixed feelings about the game's whole skills mechanic. While I can see where it adds gameplay value, there are times when fishtailing into traffic in a car that is uncontrollable, not because of poor driving, but because I haven't filled out some stat is pretty infuriating. I guess it's "immersive":shrug:.

On balance, though, it's not too bad. I look forward to replaying some missions with the skills maxed out.

6. Trekker4747

I can't fly planes or helicopters worth damn.

7. Sephiroth

Sephiroth Vice Admiral Admiral

switched to Trevor last night, he was on the interstate with a 2 star wanted level, got wasted cause there wasn't any place to go

8. AlphaMan

I must be not getting something when it comes to flying. I can take off and steer just fine, but I find landing extremely difficult. I've managed to do it twice at the moment, but it took me about a dozen tries each time.

9. Davros

Davros Fleet Admiral Admiral

During to load screen one of the info boxes that showed up said if I found the game too dark I could adjust the brightness in the settings and my thought was. "Does this give the story a happier ending?"

10. Trekker4747

Problem I have with planes and helicopters is that the controls are too sensitive. I push on the stick a bit and the plane pitches into a nose-dive and loses 100s of feet in altitude.

11. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

12. TheGodBen

TheGodBen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Have you guys read about the Mt Chiliad mystery? There's a mysterious mural at the cable-car station on Mt Chiliad that shows a flying saucer, a cracked egg, and what appears to be a guy on a jet pack. What's more, flying saucers appear hidden at specific points of the map, most noticeably the one that appears off the summit of Mt Chiliad at 3am on a rainy night, but only if you achieved 100% completion.

After all the crazy conspiracies that players theorised about in San Andreas, it appears that Rockstar have decided to include a real one this time.

13. Rincewiend

Rincewiend Admiral Admiral

There is also a ghost somewhere, the wife of a movie-star who presumably got killed by her husband, the news on the ingame radio mentons some kind of breakthrough in the very old case...

14. Sephiroth

the map has to do with a quest to get some flying saucer parts, and the ghost is part of a quest to find 50 pages and solve her mystery (I've only found one page, it was under a bridge you go through in that Michael mission where he has his daughter on the back of a jet-ski)

15. QCzar

QCzar Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Washington, DC - Taxation Without Representation
    I'm amazed at the amount of detail they've packed into V. The city really feels alive. While the attention to detail is a hallmark of R*, this just takes the cake. I'll name only a few (which will seem like a lot, but relatively speaking, really isn't):

• Wet clothes (that get wet only where they come into contact with water).
    • Peoples' hair getting wet in the rain.
    • GPS going out in tunnels.
    • Peds commenting on your car after you get it upgraded (and snapping photos with their smartphones no less).
    • Cops continuing to look for you even after you lose all wanted stars (only happens occasionally, but still).
    • The Movies (I was surprised how captivating "Loneliest Robot in Great Britain" was)
    • Car tires kicking up whatever loose material is under them (including blood if it's a person).
    • The facebook knockoff (LifeInvader).
    • Rain that doesn't clip into covered areas and forms puddles.
    • Scars that stay with the character even after you exit the hospital.
    • Weasel News reporting on events in your missions (and occasionally dropping important hints).
    • All of the water effects in the game being realistic, including fountains.
    • Cars making clicking noises as the engine cools after being turned off.
    • People telling you that they're going to call the cops and then actually doing it (crazy!)
    • Functioning equiptment at the docks.
    • The soundscape.
    • City lights light up the sky (when there are low clouds, that is) a distinctive orange-ish color that every city dweller will recognize.
    • Trevor hating (and promptly switching away from) any pop music.
    • Trevor.

It'll probably take a long time to notice everything (if that's even possible) when the devs put so much into it. I was still discovering 'little' things in GTA IV just this past summer. I don't know about you guys, but those little details are one of the major pros of the GTA series for me.

At this rate GTA VI is just going to be live action Google Streetview.

16. Darth Duck

Darth Duck Commodore Commodore

I spent five hours playing, I accomplished so few missions but I explored the hell out of that map. And I managed to convince my gf to pick up a copy too. I love this game already.

I did it in a Bandit (I think, fast sports car, at least) and did it no problem, really. Ran over a cougar or two, and shot a bunch of hikers.

17. -Brett-

-Brett- Vice Admiral Admiral

I did the flight school missions, and I didn't have any trouble with the planes, it was the helicopters that were a major pain in the ass. I don't get motion sick easily, but I was coming pretty close during those helicopter tutorials.

I finally got to the infamous torture scene. To me at least, the players forced participation just emphasized the nastiness of it in ways that don't come across in other mediums where the audience is a passive observer.

18. Sephiroth

was checking out the map from the blog, started with the location marked "between the crates" it was a cult compound full of naked dudes, as a side note right next to it is a radio station with a scrap, couldn't find some of the stuff on the ocean floor...DLC maybe? or just me not finding them. found 4 ufo parts and two scraps the map has a whole lot of hidden stuff

19. TheGodBen

TheGodBen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I finished the story last night. The game has a few minor annoyances, but taken on the whole it is easily the best GTA game, and one of the best games I've ever played. A wonderful way to cap off this console generation.

I was a bit sceptical of the character-switching mechanic at first, but now I think it's one of the best innovations to come to GTA since the games went 3D. One of the problems I had with San Andreas and GTA IV was that the stories meandered all over the place, but the three characters resolve that problem. Franklin gets to work with the city's gangs, Trevor gets to work with rednecks, and Michael gets to be involved with the movie industry, and none of it feels contrived because those settings suit the characters. They could have done better on the character-switching during missions though, only about 20% of the missions feature all three and many of those force you to switch between characters instead of letting you do so freely. My personal favourite mission was one where the three team up to attack a lumber mill because I felt that mission had the best implementation of the character switching in the game. I must have freely switched characters over a dozen times during that mission, and when one character got pinned down I would switch to one of the others to attack from another angle.

My only real complaint about the game is that some of the heists didn't have enough choices during the planning stages. Out of the 5 heists in the game, only 3 have the full range of options from what I experienced, with one of the heists only allowing me to pick a gunman. I wish there were more heists like the jewellery store robbery or the big score, those were immense fun.

That torture scene was torture for me. Not because of what was happening on screen, but because the controls for the tooth-pulling bit didn't work well. I don't know if it was because the game glitched out for me or if my controller is slightly busted, but I couldn't seem to spin the analogue stick fast enough. It took me about ten minutes just to complete that part.

That's the Altruist cult. Trevor has the option to drop off hitch-hikers there instead of at their intended destination for a little extra cash, and it's implied that they eat the victims you give them. I dropped off a crazy woman there because she hinted at having murdered a bunch of people in the past, including her mother, so that seemed fair... sort of.

As Franklin, I encountered two of them seemingly trying to rape a woman on the side of the road, so I rescued her. This game can be really messed up at times.

20. Trekker4747

I think too much has been made of the "torture" scene. In context it "makes sense" given the despicable characters, and corrupt government agents we're talking about. Same goes for the perceived misogamy in the game, since we're looking at a satire of sorts on popular culture and Southern California.

The torture portion was what it was, select a device and watch a cut-scene of a meth-headed sociopathic criminal use it on an informant. Hardly any worse than most of everything else that goes on in this game and went on in other GTA games.

(Didn't GTA3 feature in a cut-scene with two female villains torturing a man (including castration) for information?)

I'm a slow-player when it comes to these games so I'm still going through the story mode, still enjoying the game. It's a lot of fun and for all his faults Trevor is a fun, great, character. When complete I don't think I could ever get 100% completion with this game, finding all of the jumps and random stuff scattered around the map. I'll try as I might but, man, it's not going to be easy. I wish it was possible to mark jumps on the map so you can go back to them if you happen to pass them and are in the middle of something so can't use it, or need a better car/whatever. Instead they're scattered around, hidden, with no easy way to remember where they are or to find them again.