Grimm, season 2 thread.

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by sojourner, Aug 16, 2012.

1. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, I loved the looks on everybodies faces when she hugged her.
    One thing I still haven't been able to figure out, is whether or not there are more Grimms out there. I know they keep saying he's "one of the last Grimms", but I wasn't sure if that actually meant there were more out there.
    And would they all be related? I've never been able to figure out if they're actually supposed to be direct decedents of the Brothers Grimm, or if the name was just inspired by them.

2. Thestral

Thestral Vice Admiral Admiral

Well, we got some backstory from Kelly in the first episode of the new season, that the Grimms apparently are the descendants of seven knights - or was it just knights that worked for the seven royal families? - that took part in the Fourth Crusade. And they made seven keys, one for each, because they didn't turn over something incredibly powerful. That alone makes them 500+ years older than Jacob and Wilhelm. The impression I got was that they're all related, albeit very distantly after so much time. And from what Kelly said, the "calling" of a Grimm is random from those with potential (not unlike Slayers?).

3. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

That's right. I did see the episode, I just forgot about all of that.

4. propita

propita Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Ok, I'm forgetting something...Adalind got Juliette scratched by the cat, putting Juliette into the coma, etc. What happened to Adalind? I thought Nick took her out. No? She got away? Damn! Can't remember.

Loving the show, though.

5. Technobuilder

Technobuilder Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Nick's blood turned Adeline Human, negating her Hexenbeast Power.
    She then proceeded to skip town.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2012
  6. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

Nick turned her human before Adeline poisoned Juliette. The poisoning was her revenge. She skipped town after.

Good episode tonight. Nice to see Hank finally let in on things. And hey! the bad guy was on 2 different networks tonight, being the big bad on Alphas right now.

7. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Ah, I thought that was Stanton Parish. I am so glad that he actually told Hank. I hate it when they drag out the whole "I've got a secret" storyline. They did pull the whole memory wipe thing with Julliete, but at least with her it does seem to be playing a fairly important part of the story. Unlike a lot of shows where they just do it long enough for the victim to forget about "the secret" and then move on.

8. propita

Loved how Hank was like, "Oh, ok. At least I'm not nuts."

I got "Adalind" from the closed captioning. We tend to leave it on.

9. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

I liked that they didn't go the cliched route with Hank finding out and then having him pissed at Nick for the next few episodes. Instead he's just relieved that he isn't crazy.

So essentially these guys were going to gang rape a 17 year old girl? That's pretty dark for a network show.

10. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

^^^ One of the big things I love about this show is that they don't seem to embrace cliche's for the sake of a quick wrap-up or sloppy storytelling. Other examples elude me at present, but I've always been impressed at the writing, which has only gotten better.

Poor Nick. He just can't catch a break with his woman. Early on, I had hoped that she might have been the descendant of an ancient Reaper clan or one of the royal families, but now I'm starting to think she's generally kind of pointless to the overall plot and provides nothing more than a source of continuous angst for the main character. I dunno...maybe they can write her out of this soon with her lack of memory.

11. Rhaven

Rhaven Captain Captain

I want to see Nick happy with Juliette, but her memory loss may be the way out of the series for her.
    Hank being finally clued in is going to be an advantage for Nick. He has a partner now that can help him fight. They should add that beat cop as well. I forget his name, the one that ate the cookie meant for Hank.

12. 137th Gebirg

^^^ Sgt. Wu (played by Reggie Lee) - yeah, love his character. I really felt bad for him eating foam insulation and all that other crap there for a while. He's probably one of the most useful and entertaining second-tier characters I've seen in a genre show for quite some time. I suspect, however, that Hank will be this season's only mundane being let in on the secret. They don't want to have everyone in-the-know, which could cause all kinds of story-wrecking problems.

The other interesting thing I've noticed throughout the course of the series is the conditions under which Nick recognizes a Wessen and vice-versa.

Some Wessen instantly know when Nick is a Grimm as soon as Nick sees them for what they are. Other Wessen (like the actor-formely-playing-Jacob-from-Lost) don't seem to figure it out right away even after revealing their true nature. Then, in the opposite direction, you have Captain Renard who knows Nick is a Grimm, but Nick has never seen him in his true form. Is this due to the age/strength/purity/bloodline of the Wessen in question? Will Nick eventually see Renard for what he truly is? Not quite sure about this one. Anyone have any thoughts?

13. Rhaven

Rhaven Captain Captain

I think you're right about a royal being hard to detect by Nick. Renard is a prince, being the only one that could wake Juliette with a kiss. He must be able to well mask his powers and true nature.

14. propita

Reynard is a bastard, literally according to Adalind's mother, and evidently HALF-Hexenbiest. Maybe that's he's only half lets him conceal it from Nick--that and being half-royal.

I am SO loving this show!!! Monroe and Rosalee? Fan-tas-tic, especially in the car with Nick's mom.

I am amazed at how well this show can continue the ongoing story lines, add to the mythology, have their "case of the week," AND add to the characterization of so many characters. This is what happens with great writers and the studio (or whomever) either backing them or staying out of their way. Would that more shows had this.

15. Thestral

Thestral Vice Admiral Admiral

Their 17 year old neice/cousin no less... with the implication that the same had happened to her mother. Very dark, yeah.

Glad Hank's in on the secret - I was down on his character, but I think he's gonna turn out good. Should be interesting to see what happens with Juliette...

16. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

Poor Nick, Juliet is probably going to fall in love with Prince Renard the minute she lays eyes on him, because he gave her the magic kiss. Which wasn't his intent, he probably won't even be interested, but Nick is going to be furious, or at least curious...

And that will probably start the chain of events that leads to Nick figuring out who Renard really is. Why should Juliet just up and fall in love with the guy? Well besides being gorgeous, suave and built like a stallion I mean. :rommie:

17. 137th Gebirg

I had no idea they had so many West Virginia transplants in Oregon. Who knew? :shrug:

18. Borgminister

Borgminister Admiral Moderator

Another decent episode, although kind of bland-ish and predictable. For the subject matter handled, no real sense of foreboding or consequence. It is that kind of vibe that turned me off from the show initially. If you're gonna deal with dark subjects, don't white picket fence it at the end with a paint-by-the-numbers course of events.

Warehouse 13 is camp, and knows it. Breaking Bad is dark, and knows it.

This show has got to make more of a decision in that regard I sometimes think.

19. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

They're going about as dark as I've seen on a network show. I'd rather they stay where they are than devolve into camp, and I doubt NBC would tolerate too much darker.

20. superdeluxe

superdeluxe Captain Captain

Hank fills in the role that Munroe used to fill (On a Vessen Hunt, Nick called Munroe). But with Rosalee, Munroe will have something else to keep his hands full.