Green Lantern Series

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by cbspock, Nov 12, 2011.

1. Disruptor

Disruptor Commodore

My favorite part of today's episode was when the bovine looking Green Lantern said "Bitches, leave!"

I think one of the Oans is Darth Sidious.

2. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

^Uhh, yes, the "bovine" GL Shyir Rev was Kurtwood Smith (took me a moment to get the reference), and the Guardian Ganthet is voiced by the late Ian Abercrombie, who voiced Palpatine/Sidious on The Clone Wars. (If the show goes to a second season, as I hope it will, they'll have to recast Ganthet.)

This is Abercrombie's second recurring role in a DC-based series; he played Alfred Pennyworth in the live-action Birds of Prey. (He also did a one-shot guest voice in an episode of The Batman.) Smith's prior DC work includes Agent Bennet in The Zeta Project, the prosecutor in Justice League: "In Blackest Night," and Kanjar Ro in Green Lantern: First Flight.

3. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

While not perfect, I thought Razer's Edge was a good start, post pilot. I'm intrigued.

4. Christopher

Yeah, it was a good one, though the villains were a little silly. Interesting direction they're taking Razer in, and Jason Spisak (also Kid Flash on Young Justice) is playing him well. Aya also surprised us with her abilities and her interplay with Razer. (I do wish we had a female team member who wasn't a spaceship, though.)

It would've been nice if we could've seen what Hal and Kilowog's worst memories were, develop their characters a bit more.

And it surprised me that the voice of the red ring in Razer's memories was Kevin Michael Richardson (Kilowog), not Jonathan Banks, who played Atrocitus in the pilot. Has Banks left the show, or was that voice not supposed to be Atrocitus himself?

5. shivkala

shivkala Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^
    I figured Hal was watching his father die, and frankly, I was glad not to see it. It kind of gets overplayed.

While obviously, I see where the yellow rocks are going, I thought it was interesting that they weren't ring constructs. I expected the warden to have a reveal where we showed off his Sinestro Corps ring. I guess they are going for a slow build-up of that. It's an interesting plot point to reveal and it will be interesting to see what direction they take it in. There's still a possibility that they were constructs, though I assume we're going to see how those rocks become rings/batteries at some point.

I really like Razer. Like Darth Vader, I guess there's still some "good" in the Red Lanterns and, unlike the comic, I guess they won't die when the ring is removed.

6. Christopher

The only time I've seen that is in the movie. It's overplayed to people who've read the comics (I assume), but that would be a small percentage of the show's audience. As for myself, I'm not that familiar with Hal Jordan's backstory, and I don't know how this version of the character might be different from other interpretations, so it would've been helpful for me to be given more insight into what makes him tick.

As for Kilowog, though, I assume he'd be reliving the destruction of his homeworld, as established in episode 2. So that probably wouldn't have revealed anything new.

Yeah. I like it that they've found a way to revive the idea of yellow objects negating GL ring powers without going the silly route of having everything yellow do it. Instead it's just this particular yellow mineral, which will turn out to be connected to the Sinestro Corps and the power of fear.

And the theme of fear was very much present here, so it is implicit that the Spiders were working with/for the Sinestro Corps, but it's good that they're just laying in hints for a later reveal. I mean, we just met the Red Lanterns in the previous storyline; it's too early to spring yet another corps of bad-guy ringbearers on us.

Well, in some of them. I wouldn't expect Atrocitus or Zilius Zox to be particularly redeemable. Razer was still a new recruit, and his rage was driven by love, so he had the potential for redemption.

7. shivkala

shivkala Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Fair enough. Geoff Johns does seem to hit upon a fair amount in the comics and it was central to his pre-Johns origin, Emerald Dawn. I can see those new to the character not knowing it though. And it could be summarized in a quick few-second clip of a plane crashing and a young Hal shouting, "DAD!"

That happened in the comics, retroactively explained as an effect of the Crisis (Kilowog and his planet/sector were not introduced until after the Crisis.

The comics, under Johns, explain that Lanterns feel fear, they just find a way to overcome it. Before Aya got involved, I thought that we were going to see Hal and Kilowog overcome their fears and, thus, the effect of the yellow mineral. Perhaps they are going for a more lasting effect of the mineral.

I'm not sure if the Sinestro Corps is already established or if the yellow mineral and the Spider Guild will be a part of their origins. That, to me, would be a better origin story than the one we got in Green Lantern: First Flight or even the motion-picture.

I meant to add that I'd imagine that not all of the Red Lanterns would have a good side. Then again, in the comics
    it's revealed that Atrocitus' sector was destroyed by the Guardians, including his family, thus giving him a hatred of the Guardians and everything associated with them.

8. Ian Keldon

Ian Keldon Fleet Captain

Just say "NO!" to the "rainbow of corps".

Worst.

Concept.

EVER.

9. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I thought it was a pretty good second episode. Yeah, I liked the subtle hints about the Sinestro Corps, it done that those of us who know the story can smile and nod, but the people who don't won't be lost. I honestly didn't even put together the connection between the yellow mineral and the fear machine until just now.

10. Silvercrest

Silvercrest Vice Admiral Admiral

We saw yellow glows peeking out here and there when Hal and Kilowog first flew in, and "Yellow Lantern" was my first thought. I guess we'll see if they go anywhere with that.

Regardless, as soon as Muahaha Spider Warden made a point of stating that the yellow mineral cancelled green power rings, I knew the red ring would be the loophole, and I figured Razer would be the one to use it. I like him too.

I assume the Lanterns are not going to allow Razer to keep using the red ring. This is partly because of what using it would do to his personality. Also, I would imagine a red ring can't be used for long without Atrocitus' permission, or at least his knowledge. But will they trust him with a green ring?

11. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

They released a new video during Wondercon that features appearances from
    Carol Faris as Star Saphire with another member of that Corps, Saint Walker, and some Thanagarians, one of whom I think was Hawkman but I'm not sure.
    They also said that the whole first season will revolve around Atrocitus and the Red Lanterns' invasion.

12. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ All steps in the right direction, as far as I'm concerned.

13. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yep those are something that Timm hinted at last year at SDCC. I saw the second episode last night and really enjoyed it. Will be sticking with the series.

14. Disruptor

Disruptor Commodore

I was shocked...shocked that a prison ran by large creepy spiders was corrupt.

"Free the inmates, squidly."

"Jordan, you think all the inmates are innocent or sumtin'?"

"Who cares, Killowag? This isn't my sector."

15. Christopher

^They never said the new warden was going to free the inmates, I think, just to reform the system so they were treated more humanely. They did say the Guardians were sending new wardens who'd be there in 18 months, and the guy was just there to handle things in the interim.

Then again, trusting a convict to do that without any supervision for 18 months is maybe a bit naive...

16. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

There is probably not many inmates given that the Spiders admit to eating their prisoners.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2012
  17. Christopher

Good point...

18. Christopher

By the way, I only just caught on to the casting in-joke this morning. The leader of the villains who tortured people with nightmares before killing them was voiced by Robert Englund.

19. Vendikarr

Vendikarr Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

We've been shown the ship is a big power battery, and now that Aya's AI can leave the ship.

The next logical step will be for her to create a female construct 'body' and help out.

And I get the feeling that Aya is pretty close to sentient, and with some life experience will graduate to 'alive.'

20. Christopher

She seems fully sentient already.