Germany exclusive Star Trek trilogy "Prometheus" coming in 2016

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Defcon, Nov 22, 2015.

1. Defcon

Defcon Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

There hasn't been any official comment yet by Cross Cult, but there is a German Star Trek trilogy listed for July to September 2016, written by Christian Humberg and Bernd Perplies, both of whom are working as translators for CC's Star Trek books, but are also authors in their own right.

Star Trek: Prometheus is set shortly after the fall, and apparently will feature an original ship and cast.

Star Trek - Prometheus 1: Feuer gegen Feuer (Fire against Fire)

Star Trek - Prometheus 2: Der Ursprung allen Zorns (The Cause of all Fury)

Star Trek - Prometheus 3: Ins Herz des Chaos (Into the Heart of Chaos)

There are even covers out there already:

http://www.lovelybooks.de/autor/Ber...-Prometheus-1-Feuer-gegen-Feuer-1207625943-w/

http://www.lovelybooks.de/autor/Ber...heus-2-Der-Ursprung-allen-Zorns-1207626286-w/

http://www.lovelybooks.de/autor/Ber...Prometheus-3-Ins-Herz-des-Chaos-1207630099-w/

To be honest, I'm not sure how I feel about official Star Trek books in German.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2015
  2. Kilana2

Kilana2 Vice Admiral Admiral

Neither am I.

And I guess this is the long awaited yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah on the publisher's facebook page.

Let's wait and see. It's all still quite theoretical. Obviously the author's will introduce new ships and characters, Klingons seem to be among them. :klingon:

All so mysterious...:)

3. Defcon

Defcon Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The "book effect" on the site of the covers look like the ones they usually use in their catalog. The summer 2016 catalog is supposed to be out soon, making me think they're legit and will be announced when the catalog will be published.

4. Kilana2

I wonder if this will be part of the mysterious "Projekt 50". They still haven't announced all the novels that will be released 2016. With this trilogy the program for 2016 is obviously fully occupied.

5. Idran

Idran Commodore Commodore

Could this (from a legal perspective, I mean) end up as part of the Novelverse over here back in the US as well, an eventual English translation over here some time down the line? Because that would be pretty cool, a truly international shared universe going in both directions, but I'm not really sure how international licensing works in that regard.

6. ryan123450

ryan123450 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Interesting development. I'm not sure how interested I am in the idea of yet another new series, though, even if these were in English. It will be fun to watch how this plays out.

7. borgboy

borgboy Commodore Commodore

I think Trek books premiering in other countries is a really interesting idea, I just hope we get English translations eventually.
    I'm still bitter about the audiobooks for Vanguard, Titan and Destiny only getting German releases, no fair if you guys are getting exclusive novels too :)

8. Enterprise1701

Enterprise1701 Commodore Commodore

More motivation for me to learn German/Deutsch!

9. Avro Arrow

Avro Arrow Vice Admiral Moderator

Wow, that's unexpected, but fascinating!

I *really* hope these end up with an English translation somewhere down the line. I hate the thought of missing out on new TrekLit! ;)

(I guess my other option is to learn German, but I'm not really that good with languages. At least if it was French, I'd have a fighting chance! ;))

10. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Could someone translate the blurbs into English, please?

11. Avro Arrow

^ I just ran them through Google Translate. Not perfect, but certainly sufficient to get the gist.

ETA: I guess I can just post them here to save others the trouble.

Prometheus 1

Prometheus 2

Prometheus 3

ETA 2: I'm not really sure about the whole "increased tensions with the Klingons" thing again, though. I can't really see Martok going that way, and I'm not sure if it really fits well with the other novels set around the same time?

12. Stevil2001

Stevil2001 Vice Admiral Admiral

That dubious Typhon Pact! Get his finger out of the pie!

13. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ Too bad the captain isn't named Jack Horner. :lol:

14. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

From my admittedly non-expert perspective, I see no reason why an eventual English translation could not be released in the US. Might take a few years, as that seems to be how long it takes for the German translations to be done, but I'm sure we'll get this series in English at some point. Indeed, I would be surprised if translating and international release isn't something that's already being discussed.

15. Idran

Idran Commodore Commodore

Oh no, I'm not asking if an English translation could legally be released at all, I'm sure that it could. I'm asking if it could be released as the same sort of mutually referential novel that Pocket Books Treklit is part of. Like, could a Pocket Books novel explicitly and without just resorting to vague allusion reference an event or even a full storyline from a Cross Cult original novel given that they're apparently both licensed for prime universe Star Trek prose, just in different countries? Because it would be really awesome if Treklit could become international in that sense.

Since this shows that Cross Cult novels can reference Pocket Books elements, I wasn't sure if that automatically meant that Pocket Books novels could in turn reference Cross Cult elements, or if the legal issues behind licensed novels were more complicated than that.

16. Avro Arrow

^ I could be misremembering, but haven't the authors said in the past that since everything is ultimately owned by CBS, they're technically allowed to reference whatever other tie-in material they want?

That being said, though... until such time that there's an English translation available, I'm guessing it's probably unlikely that this would get referenced in anything other than broad strokes anyway, since it's difficult to reference something you haven't read. (Unless some of the authors are fluent in German?)

17. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

Since the early 80s, Pocket Books has always held the "exclusive license" to publish Star Trek fiction, although things were muddied when the revived "Amazing Stories" magazine started alternating TNG and VOY short stories (the rights to which John Ordover eventually secured for a 2002 Pocket Books trade reprint omnibus) with B5 stories. In more recent times, "Star Trek Magazine" has regularly featured new short stories based on "Star Trek Online".

For some time now, the Trek calendars, numerous non fiction guide books and quirky literary novelties have been produced "in association with" Simon & Schuster (ie. Cider Mill, Titan Books, Universe, Abrams, Thames & Hudson, etc), again to meet the guidelines for the "exclusive license"?

Speculating: Since these new German books are novels, perhaps Cross Cult has already made a publishing deal with Pocket/Gallery, which preserves the "exclusivity" clause.

18. Mage

Mage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I agree. Before the Borg Invasion, Martok might have had some moments where he wasn't to sure, but after that, he was a firm believer in the Khitomer Accords and was working with Bacco to achieve a lasting peace. Although Post-Fall, we haven't seen much with the Klingons, I doubt Martok is suddenly anti-Federation/Khitomer Accords.

19. Kilana2

About the new mysterious project Cross Cult claimed that they have worked for about 2 years on their facebook page. If this is the yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaah that they still haven't revealed.

There are still so many untranslated original ST novels (TOS, which doesn't sell well, ENT, DS9 and so on). Those novels will be delayed until further notice I would think.

20. DS9Continuing

DS9Continuing Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

How the hell does Google Translate come up with 'vainglorious' ?