George Lucas: Star Wars stood on the shoulders of Star Trek

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by serenitytrek1, Jul 12, 2013.

1. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Admiral Admiral

They struck me as pure stupid.

2. ichab

ichab Commodore Commodore

3. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Admiral

It struck me as bad writing. Offering an explanation for something no one needed an explanation for.

4. Belz...

Belz... Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In a finely-crafted cosmos... of my own making.
    Well I'm not a huge fan of the idea, but I understand it's something Lucas wanted to do back at the beginning. Mind you, Lucas isn't very reliable when it comes to when he had which idea.

5. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, we had Kevin Anderson's Force-detecting paddles.

Midichlorians are better.

6. trevanian

trevanian Rear Admiral

It actually flies in the face of what GR originally intended, with never going into Basil Exposition mode to explain how a phaser works because cops don't explain how their .38 works before they use it. It'd be like having a technobabble seminar playing out in TPM while r2 is outside fixing the hyperdrive -- you don't need to explain how FTL works in the SW universe either, because people bought into it up front, just like they did this whole 'force' business (though I was always astonished that nobody else picked up on what SHOULD have been the rejoinder to 'may the force be with you.' Opening day, I remember actually saying 'and also with you' and expecting to hear that rejoinder.)

Maybe you mean the middiebullshitians sounds pure TNG, because they certainly had a way of stating the obvious early on (how many times did Riker babble about 'never having seen ____ before' even though it was something utterly commonplace, like a solar flare?

7. Cyrus

Cyrus Vice Admiral Admiral

Back on the topic, during the initial release of Star Wars George Lucas said in an interview that he put the word "Star" in the title as an insurance policy, as it would grab the attention of science fiction fans and prevent the movie from being a flop. I thought that was a clear reference to Star Trek fans.

8. Set Harth

"The Wars" would have been a little vague.

9. Flake

Flake Commodore Commodore

Well, Star Wars sounds much better than 'Journal of the Whills, Part 1' !!!

10. trevanian

trevanian Rear Admiral

Well, I dunno. Don't they say, "where there's a whill, there's a whey?"

11. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Wasn't SW originally called something like "Chronicles of the Starkiller Episode 1: The Star Wars" or similar?

12. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

Starkiller was Sheridan's nickname.

13. trevanian

trevanian Rear Admiral

Probably want to check the Rinzler book to be sure, but I think the Starkiller name lasted right up to the start of shooting.

As far as that goes, the TPM script I read before ep 1 got released still had light sabers being called lazer swords ... over 20 years later and GL still didn't have the nomenclature locked in, I guess ...

14. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

I can check the book later, but I think the name was changed from Starkiller to Skywalker during shooting.

15. Set Harth

They're still called that in one scene of the film.