Generations deleted scenes

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies I-X' started by los2188, Sep 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 22 Stars

22 Stars Commodore Commodore

Grant, what does one need to do to have access to view that ST II print? I know much of Nick Meyer's documents are available: http://www.lib.uiowa.edu/spec-coll/Msc/ToMsc450/MsC425/MsC425.html

But I was unaware of this print. I used to handle prints for Paramount, including final prints going to the Library of Congress. Yes they have a print of everything.... including Pootie Tang....

2. Grant

Grant Commodore Commodore

Well, you need to go to California. Make an appt. with the UCLA film and television archive and have an excuse to see it. (Like research, etc.)

I recently visited Ca. and my 2 nephews set it up as a gift for their old foggy uncle Trek fan--me.

I don't think they had to pull too many strings but you cant just walk in and say I'd like to watch some Star Trek. :lol:

It was a sublime experience after first reading about the TWOK deleted scenes in the Making of star Trek II book in 1982 and being obsessed ever since.

Another poster on these threads trailblazed this path and made me aware last year of this little-known treasure and I finally got to go out west and see it for myself!

3. 22 Stars

That's great, thanks. Next time I am out there I will plan on making that happen! Did they transfer it to some other medium or did they screen the 35mm print for you?

4. Grant

No, it was on a DVD. I don't know what medium it was originally on. I guess tape or 35mm.

Very cool. It's B & W, no opening credits, it runs from the simulater scene to the exact point where Spock leaves his station (to fix the engines). We assume it ends there to keep the ending secret to whoever might see it back in 1982.

It has no musical score except some very inappropriate stock music layed over the stock FX fottage from TMP as they leave drydock. It has no FX (except as above) at all and most of the V.O. stuff (intercom voices, communicator voices, computer voices) are being read by script persons-male and female.

It does include almost every famous deleted scene that you might know fropm the script (which you can read at Trekcore and other places online).
    Including...........

Saavik's Rom heritage scene in full
    Kirk trying on the glasses
    David bemoaning Starfleets lazziness
    the mentioning of Sulu's promotion to captain of Excelsior
    the mentioning of Marla by name by Khan
    Terrell tricking Beach and Kyle into beaming guests aboard
    the mentioning by Kirk that Chekov is serving on Reliant
    the original Kirk/David fight that David wins.
    the 'Eden cave' dialogue of Saavik/Davids attraction

and YES Chekov/Terrell finding the child outside and then inside the cargo carrier!

and a lot of other stuff.

5. 22 Stars

Thanks again. I am honestly shocked that since this has been transferred from a rough cut film print to probably tape , now DVD, that it hasn't been leaked out. Copies of things have been leaked from much more secure sources, that's for sure.

I once had a film print stolen from a theater of mine, and the culprit tried to extort money from Paramount for its return! Little did the thief know that all prints can be traced, and that the federal authorities can and do pursue this kind of thing on a regular basis and take it very seriously.

6. Grant

^^My thoughts too.

Nobody at UCLA is a Trek nut?!?

Well if Paramount claims they can't locate the deleted footage for any future DVD/Blu-ray release--all they have to do is copy the UCLA version and release the footage in B & W.

7. 22 Stars

Is there an existing thread that you started about this, sounds like a fun journey and a great find.

8. Oso Blanco

Oso Blanco Commodore Commodore

Is this the scene where Sulu's line got cut off in the shuttle?

9. 22 Stars

Yeah, that cutting Sulu's line while his mouth is still open always bugs me!

10. Grant

Yes! It's a mere 15 seconds cut and NO Shatner did not botch it on purpose. His best performance--no, but did he throw the scene? NO.

And there is an added line (not in the script) by McCoy where McCoy enthusiastically congatulates Sulu---that i assume they added to counter the monotone delivery by shatner.

It COULD have been used and noone would have raised an eyebrow about the performances. They cut it for other reasons.

11. Grant

Me too. and if you use freeze frame it's cut both before AND after the exterior cutaway. You can see his mouth opening and closing at both ends of the final version.

In the workprint he finally gets to be heard!

12. Oso Blanco

Oso Blanco Commodore Commodore

So how did Sulu finish his line?

13. Grant

He says,

"Any chance to go aboard Enterprise (however briefly, is always a chance for nostalgia." Kirk-"With Spock in command, any chance I'll turn up anything?")

Then the exterior cutaway and then Kirk says

("By the end of the month you'll have your command--U.S.S. Excelsior.
    McCoy--"Well congratulations Commander."
    Sulu--"Thank you sir, I've looked forward to that for a long time!)

Resume---
    Kirk--"Well I for one am happy to have you at the helm...."

They cut Sulu off at 'however' and it comes back as he says 'time' in the theatrical version.

14. los2188

los2188 Commander Red Shirt

I apologize for my comments and behaviour. I reached the very end of my patience. People are free to think what they want, and I joined this site to talk all things Trek and have fun. My apologies for name calling. All my best to you Grant. :)

15. Grant

Accepted. No problem. Life is too short to hold a grudge over this kind of thing. Best to you.

And I apologize as well! Too harsh in some posts--I admit!

Last edited: Sep 21, 2012
  16. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

He may have been doing the other off-camera Shatner standard. Crossing his eyes, or looking bored, while his screen mate attempted delivery of their closeups.

Just ask Yvonne Craig.

17. wahwahkits

wahwahkits Commander Red Shirt

England, somewhere between Liverpool and Chester
    Robin Curtis had issues with Shatner too

18. Grant

He may have been doing whatever whenever, but the scene as cut into the movie was fine--could have been used and it would have worked. They cut it for another reason.
    Also Takei's performance was fine as well--he wasn't looking at Shatner--he's staring out the pod window 'piloting the shuttle'. I guess it's a blessing to do a scene with shatner and not have to look at him!

Last edited: Sep 22, 2012
  19. CaptainStoner

CaptainStoner Knuckle-dragging TNZ Denizen Admiral

Los, you look great for 5 kids. Just sayin'

20. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

It's no secret that they only put the scene in the script as the final tempter to get Takei to sign a contract. He had held out till one day after principal photography started, IIRC. He said if the role was a repeat of TMP, just sitting and piloting, then he wasn't interested because Sulu would have moved on by now. It has been suggested that Bennett and Meyer were never really serious about keeping the line in, but there was still hope - and the vague promise that future ST films might have meatier roles. George often says that the actors always took each ST film one at a time; they assumed each one was "the last one".

But... you said "NO Shatner did not botch it on purpose" and Takei himself told me - in 1984, at his house - long before he started mentioning it at conventions or in his autobiography - that Shatner deliberately did his renowned Shatner trick (which often meant that the only usable take is a Shatner closeup rather than the other person in a scene). So if that makes George a liar in your book, so be it. He seemed genuine enough at the time and it wasn't onstage bravado to hundreds of amused fans, it was a quiet chat over green tea.

Perhaps George was trying not to look at Shatner, who was off-camera crossing his eyes or doing bored-face.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.