General Trek Questions and Observations

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by The Old Mixer, Nov 3, 2016.

1. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

When was it ever said that the Defiant can land? :confused:

2. 2takesfrakes

2takesfrakes Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I probably should've posted my Section 31 question in here - I thought it had some potential for meaningful debate. But as Kirk so eloquently put it in TFF: "... I was wrong."

3. Gingerbread Demon

Gingerbread Demon I love Star Trek Discovery Premium Member

I don't think you did. My post was merged into this thread.

4. Shawnster

Shawnster Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

No... what he meant was where on Star Trek DS 9 was an episode where the Defiant landed on a planet's surface.

To my knowledge it never did. It did, however, hide inside a gas giant in one episode. I don't remember it ever making planetfall.

Voyager, on the other hand, definitely did. In fact, I think there were times when it should have landed but never did. Another one of Janeway's dumb moves.

5. Mr. Laser Beam

I think the Defiant did CRASH once (Children of Time?), but I'm not aware of any ep where it made a controlled landing.

6. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

There were landing gear on the MSD...that's about it for onscreen canon. Was just reading about it on Ex Astris Scientia...apparently even Ron Moore was unaware that the thing was supposed to be capable of landing.

7. Gingerbread Demon

I'm going to go all nerdy here but I'm pretty sure the Defiant does have landing gear.

According to the DS9 Technical manual the Defiant does have landing gear but it's never been used on screen.

Balok's Decoy likes this.
  8. 2takesfrakes

I enjoy how literate STAR TREK can often be and is, particularly where Shakespeare is concerned. But there are many other references to Classic Literature, as well. Mark Twain, himself, in fact, actually features heavily in a 2-part TNG episode. I just wish the franchise referenced my favourite authors, like Ernest Hemmingway, John Steinbeck and H. Rider Haggard, as well.

UnknownSample likes this.
  9. Gingerbread Demon

Or Jane Austen. I'd like to see some of that used too.

10. Mojochi

Mojochi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I can't help but think, every time I watch Generations, that all while they were shooting, Shatner must have been a little butt hurt that he'd been wearing a toupee for years, and yet was somehow being replaced by a gray, bald-headed, 54 year old man, while he, himself was only 63. On screen together, they don't even look all that differently aged.

11. UnknownSample

UnknownSample Commodore Commodore

I liked how Dax actually had a literary opinion, and a negative one, when she dismissed Les Miserables and Victor Hugo as melodramatic. I wish they'd done more of that.

12. 2takesfrakes

When I was 14 Standard Years of Age, I'd noticed that me mum had got for herself a dead tree copy of The Far Pavilions - by M. M. Kaye. I looked at the cover lining and noticed that it was about India. She's very proud of her Irish heritage, mom is - to the point of being boastful, even. So, I said, "... mum, this isn't about Ireland, it's about India! What, are you going through all of the i-named countries in tribute, now ... or what?" She just threw me a look, she did, and after making some rather hateful comments about my sarcastic wit ...

She informed me that a famous Irishman and Real Life Lieutenant in the British Army - named Walter Hamilton - features somewhat heavily in it. So, I must confess that, quite on my own, this fact encouraged me to purchase my own copy of The Far Pavilions - and it remains the only Romance Novel I own. But it's quite Historical and military-oriented, with a lot of battles and espionage and exotic lands ... and so forth. So, that takes some of the 'curse" off the Romance part of it, if you like. I've not read it in some time, but I remember it quite fondly.

UnknownSample likes this.
  13. Paradise City

Paradise City Commodore Commodore

I'd love to have seen Mirror Kahn emerge from the Mirror Botany Bay in the 24th century and then go on to lead the Terran rebellion. Play it Space Seed Montablan-style and pit him against the sultry Kira. I'd like to see Kahn try to give Mirror Kira the Marla McGivers submission treatment.

Now that would be doing the Mirror universe properly.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2016
  14. Balok's Decoy

Balok's Decoy Commodore Commodore

Last night I watched "Vortex" (DS9 1x12) for the first time and busted out laughing at the "Morn should keep his big mouth shut" line. Armin Shimmerman has redeemed the Ferengi for me.

15. Kor

Kor Fleet Admiral Admiral

He just wanted to show off the piece that he somehow stole from a museum in Nice, France.

But seriously, I have heard the criticism that a great deal of modern art should be considered objectively "bad." I feel that I need to become more informed about art before I take a stand one way or the other.

Kor

16. 2takesfrakes

Art History is endlessly fascinating. I hope that you do pursue it, because Art History belongs to all of us.

17. Mr. Laser Beam

I've always thought that in the MU, Khan and his ilk would be the same as they were in the regular universe. I mean, the Terran Empire would let people like that basically run free. I wouldn't be surprised to find that augments like Khan were running the Empire...

18. trekky2088

trekky2088 Cadet Newbie

I was looking around on Ebay for Star Trek Logo sticker and this come up on my search?

It appears to be a slice of bread with a Star Trek logo on it?
    I thought it was so funny I had to share it with you guys. hahaha :lol:

The ebay item number is 272475597911

19. trekky2088

trekky2088 Cadet Newbie

Here's the link if anyone's [Link deleted by mod.] (Mods not sure if im aloud to put in links please delete if in not) TY

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 5, 2016
  20. UnknownSample

UnknownSample Commodore Commodore

There is no "objectively". That would be the opinion of some narrow-minded person feeling a need to delegitimize what s/he's uncomfortable with.