Galileo Restoration Update - Jan 2012

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by Search4, Jan 29, 2013.

1. Gary7

Gary7 Vice Admiral Admiral

The great thing about paint is that... it can be stripped and repainted again, and again...

So yeah, Ed took a little artistic license. You know what I interpreted it as? AGING. It's not clean and spit polish shiny any more; it's a museum relic starship. The lines are visible. To show contempt for Ed doing this is just... well, is such out of whack perspective. If Ed didn't take up the charge, the ship would've been consigned to some non-paid volunteer who probably would have done a hack job on it. "Golly gee Elmer, lookee here, I done fixed up th' Enterprise--Star Track ENTERPRISE!!"

2. T'Bonz

T'Bonz Romulan Curmudgeon Administrator

Sorry for the bad quality but these were taken in uh, I think summer of 1978 when I went to the Smithsonian for the first time. I was THRILLED to see the ship as I was a huge Trekkie even back then.

[​IMG]

3. ZapBrannigan

ZapBrannigan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

T'Bonz, your set looks a lot like the pics I took as a kid in 1974. At that time the model was displayed level and high up enough that you couldn't see the top of the saucer. I also recall something blocked us from seeing the taped-up port side; it was too close to the wall or something:

[​IMG]

The original main deflector dish and nacelle domes were lost in California somehow, and this exhibit shows the Smithsonian's first, inaccurate replacements.

Edit: Correction, I took my pics in August, 1977.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2013
  4. Search4

Search4 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

So, perhaps predictably, the discussion has moved onto the paint job on the Enterprise.

We are deciding what to paint Galileo - wouldn't mind a few thoughts.

Thanks to a dedicated fan, we have some paint chips from Galileo original wood. They are >40 years old and you we do worry they are not necessarily representative.

Also, we have various reference photos, albeit under studio lighting. The image from "Way to Eden" seems closest to sunlight.

Also, we have the colors on the ship as of the restoration from the 1990s.

Also, thanks to the generosity of Ed Miarecki, we have the exact paint color used on the Smithsonian model.

They're all "grey" but i wouldn't say that any are the same.

And of course, have to ask, does anyone want weathering or damage? The original shot from the "Galileo 7" showed burn marks and damage on the ship and nacelles.

I think we can eliminate grid lines.

Will read all thoughts but the ultimate reasoning and choice is ours.

5. Robert Comsol

Robert Comsol Commodore Commodore

Very nice pictures, I'd also like to recommend Phil Broad's collection.
    When in 1974 did you take these pictures? Wasn't the Enterprise a new attraction for the Bicentennial in 1976 (that's when I took my first pictures)?

The miniature arrived with some shipping damage 03-01-74 at the Smithsonian and underwent curatorial inspection by F.C. Durant III, assistant director of Astronautics of the Smithsonian Institution.

Rogay Inc. got the job to replace the missing pieces and Durant was specific that the exterior of the nacelle caps was to be frosted and the interior to be painted with amber lacquer.
    Durant wasn't happy about their restoration job: "The paint used by Rogay was turkey red, the exterior is not frosted as requested."
    What I really appreciate was Mr. Durant's mission goal: "We are most anxious to exhibit this model in its original studio condition as nearly as feasible." :techman:

Bob

6. jayrath

jayrath Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

We're agreed. I was referring to the Enterprise model.

As for the Galileo, I'm sure we're all very grateful that such a dedicated group has taken this project on, and that it's work is proceeding so carefully.

7. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

Sadly, there will be fannish outrage, no matter how they proceed, and no matter how great the final result might look to some other fans' eyes. As with all things Trek, there is a tendency for IDIC to be tossed out the airlock. :vulcan:

8. RPJOB

RPJOB Commander Red Shirt

Yes, people should be grateful for a restoration regardless of the outcome. To do otherwise is just wrong.

[​IMG]

9. mach7

mach7 Commander Red Shirt

Hey, they ponied up the money to buy her, move her, and restore her.

They can paint her purple with green racing stripes, they own her.

I'm just happy she is not going to rot away.

10. T'Bonz

T'Bonz Romulan Curmudgeon Administrator

I can't wait to see the end result.

11. ZapBrannigan

ZapBrannigan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Good catch. I checked my notes, and in fact my family's trip to D.C. was in August, 1977. I'm amending the post with my snapshots in it. We went to the Kennedy Space Center in '74. Good times. :)

12. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Aside from being just plain inappropriate and overwrought, Forbin's analogy and the other fannish indignation has the situation just plain backward. Here's a similarly ridiculously exaggerated analogy that has the virtue nonetheless of being more accurate:

Mom is dying of a degenerative illness. She goes off to a clinic and returns, in better health than she's seen in twenty years and virtually cured. But as she comes off the plane some of the kids shout "Mom has never worn her hair that way! It's the wrong color! The clinic beauticians are incompetent! Ruined forever! Aggggh!" ;)

I live about five miles from the museum, BTW. I've seen the model hundreds of times, in every version of maintenance/restoration and every display location.

13. Forbin

Forbin Admiral Admiral

It's more like Mom came off the plane with a face transplant from Nick Cage.

14. Robert Comsol

F.C. Durant's description of desired restoration work by Rogay Inc. from 04-30-74 does not include a paint job of the hull. Doug Drexler's Smithsonian report from 03-01-77 states for the primary hull "Imperceptable surface detail - Radiating gridwork, flush. Top only." I can't help the feeling that with your paint job claim you'd like to make us believe there had been grid lines on the rest of the hull that vanished in this mysterious "paint job"...:rofl:
    (amazing that all the tiny engineering hull numbers, markings and letters visible in the various pictures posted here were not affected by this mysterious "paint job")

Bob

15. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

Me, too.

That said I am expecting there to be a lot of discussion over this when the restoration is complete. And to add further fuel to the fire Round2 announced awhile ago that they're going ahead with development and production of a 1/32 scale Galileo shuttlecraft model kit. It will be done with the same care and attention Gary Kerr and the folks at Round2 exercised with the development of their big 1/350 scale TOS Enterprise kit. Expect lots of discussion as details of that kit come to light.

16. Admiral Buzzkill

No. Not in the least. The cosmetic analogy is by far the most appropriate.

17. Forbin

Forbin Admiral Admiral

Forgive me, I forgot you're never wrong.

18. Robert Comsol

You forgot to indicate whether Mom originally looked better or worse than Nick Cage. ;)

But it's noteworthy to compare the Smithsonian's restoration concerns for Charles Lindbergh's Spirit of St. Louis next to the Enterprise's: The protective coating has yellowed with age, resulting in the golden hue seen today. Smithsonian officials have indicated that the varnish will be removed, and the nose panels restored to their original silver appearance, the next time the aircraft is taken down for conservation.

Now that's the way to do it, but of course one may suggest to paint the plane in red so that new audiences won't mistake the plane for one from the 1950's because of its silver surface. :rolleyes:

Bob

19. Admiral Buzzkill

20. Forbin

Forbin Admiral Admiral

That's Gary Kerr himself in that first photo!