Gal Gadot cast as Wonder Woman In ‘Batman Vs. Superman’

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Enterprise is Great, Dec 4, 2013.

1. M.A.C.O.

M.A.C.O. Commodore Commodore

A LOSH movie will be tricky. GOTG works because it grounded itself in 80's nostalgia. Endearingly so. LOSH has always been about youth, hope, and optimism. I DO hope they include a Superboy for the Legion. That'll be fun.

Villains off the top of my head they could do.
    Fatal Five
    Khunds
    Time Trapper
    Mordru and his magicians

If they get a second movie they can do
    Darkseid (Great Darkness Saga AWH YEAH)
    Legion of Supervillains (Lightning Lord and Nemesis Kid FTW)
    Dominators

2. grendelsbayne

grendelsbayne Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Monkey see monkey do is exactly how big studios like to cash in on this kind of wave. Different concepts = unproven concepts = financial risk. Better to make the kind of stuff you already know people will like.

3. Kelthaz

Kelthaz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

You can't run a successful company by only copying others. You have to take some risks and be a trendsetter if you want to rake in the real profits. Otherwise you're just another Asylum producing Megashark movies.

4. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

No one knew with certainity that Guardians of the Galaxy would have wide audience appeal. Marvel Studios took a risk, put out a quality product and now suddenly the rumor is LEGION. LEGION has as unique a line up full of arguably goofy characters as GotG, that's a leading reason beyond they just both are space teams.

Firestorm or Question might have broad or mass audience appeal but Warners doesn't seem inclined to want to take that risk.

5. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

The new Flash series has Firestorm and the Question can't be too far behind for either that show or Arrow.

6. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

And they ARE taking a different and riskier approach by having a BvS movie lead into a Justice League movie, and then spinning off various standalone movies from that. And it also appears they're going for a much more grounded tone with their universe as well.

That couldn't be more different from the approach Marvel has taken, so I'm not really sure what more you guys want. I mean there aren't exactly a ton of alternatives when it comes to building towards a team-based superhero movie.

And to say that any kind of team-based or space-based superhero movie is off limits simply because Marvel did it first seems kinda ridiculous as well.

7. M.A.C.O.

^ What davejames said.

Also Legion is more like the X-Men; except with aliens and taking place in the future and in space. I think that route would be the best for WB/DC.

8. Kelthaz

You're putting words into my mouth. I'm not criticizing this movie. I'm actually cautiously excited for it. I was responding to grendelsbayne when he said that big studios want to make money by just copying others and not taking risks. I'm saying that's (usually) impossible.

Some of my favourite movies, TV shows (*cough* Deep Space Nine *cough*), and video games are "ripoffs" of other works, but they did enough different to stand apart. Maybe LoSH will be one of those; maybe it won't. I don't know yet.

9. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

^ Ah, sorry. I'm just so used to the non-stop criticism of DC in this forum, and assumed that's what your post was doing as well. :p

10. Kelthaz

It's cool. I'm usually critical of DC, but not today. :)

11. Morpheus 02

Morpheus 02 Commodore Commodore

I'd agree that DC is copying Marvel's success...and Marvel proved that an obscure group with originations in the 30th century can be a hit...

DC actually proved a cosmic hero movie could work with Green Lantern -- but just the FIRST half. That part of the movie felt cosmic...but when they brought it to earth, and had an inexperienced Green Lantern defeat Parallax, despite the GL gathering at the beginning, just seemed silly and a let down.

Hmm...he's my favorite X-Men artist, especially of Nightcrawler.

oh, and it might not be plagarism, but it could be very lazy.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2014
  12. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Clean Old Mod Moderator

I'm generally pretty skeptical of what WB/DC does with its movie properties...but I have a big fat soft spot for the Legion. I was giggling like a schoolgirl seeing them in live action for the first time on Smallville, even though I'd pretty much given up on the show at that point.

Bring it on! LLL!

13. JD

JD Admiral Admiral

I would honestly be more surprised if we didn't get an Arrowverse version of The Question than if we did. He, or she, depending on which version they went with, is a simple enough concept that they would be easy to do on TV budget. Hell, they're doing Firestorm and if they actually give him/them his/their powers, then that is a hell of a lot more complex and effects heavy than The Question would be.

14. M.A.C.O.

We should probably make a LOSH thread. Instead of crowding the WW/Gal Gadot Thread.

15. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

I think a dedicated thread would probably be better held off for now until an official greenlight is announced. Right now this is just a rumor. I just picked this thread because it was the first DC movie-related one I saw. :ouch:

16. grendelsbayne

grendelsbayne Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'm not saying they succeed by only copying. Just that, when cashing in on an already existing trend, copying is often seen as the best way to go (obviously not 100% derivative, everything has to set itself apart somehow, but diverting too much from the basic formula of the trend runs the risk of placing yourself entirely outside that trend and losing all the interest that it was supposed to generate for you). Big risks are for those times when you're the one starting the trend (or hoping to) and often seem a generally harder sell in Hollywood.

17. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk The Real Me Premium Member

A Cockrum costume is a Cockrum costume, At least three of the All New All Different X-Men were originally envisioned as members of the Legion.

The Imperial Guard were an homage/in joke not plagiarism or lazy.

18. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

I said that it's not plagiarism.

19. Dennis

Dennis The Man Premium Member

Warner Bros is one of the most successful movie studios in the business. Whatever it takes to "run a successful company," they've been doing it for decades. That they sometimes make movies that don't succeed is called "show business." That not every movie they make satisfies the skiffy fanboise is...negligible at most.

20. Kelthaz

Dude, actually read the topic before posting. When I said "successful company" I wasn't talking about the WB. I was talking in general that companies have to take risks in order to succeed. I explained this in my follow up post.