Gal Gadot cast as Wonder Woman In ‘Batman Vs. Superman’

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Enterprise is Great, Dec 4, 2013.

1. martok2112

martok2112 Commodore Commodore

That's it exactly, Gov. Good find. :)
    Most of the time when I log in here, it's from an iPad, so linking and such is pretty cumbersome....especially with a cracked screen.

Yeah, it was very much the Adam West camp style. :)

2. The Mirrorball Man

The Mirrorball Man Vice Admiral Admiral

I agree with the method, but not with the intent. I think the Azzarello run has offered us the best incarnation of the character in decades and I'm extremely satisfied that thanks to it, years and years of tepid pablum have been relegated to non-canonical status.

3. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Yeah.... I think it takes the Adam West camp style and cranks it to 11. The Adam West show was fun, that? That was painful..

4. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

It was a demo reel made to show to the network execs as a proof of concept, never intended for public airing. They did a similar thing with Batgirl before the third season. So yes, it was a pilot, but in the strict sense of a film made to sell a series to a network, rather than the looser sense of the premiere episode of the series itself.

5. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Yikes. That's not camp, that's just... awful.

6. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Yeah, I like how she's in such a hurry to rush out of the apartment to save the day then she stops and mugs in front of the mirror for a couple minutes before going to do her job. Then there's the little leg flourish she does when taking off from the ledge. Seriously?!

7. mos6507

mos6507 Commodore Commodore

No, she doesn't. The pop-culture relevance of WW is that she is more of a symbol of pre-Kate-Moss beauty than an athletic superhero. Pretty much synonymous with the body-image of a Marilyn Monroe. She's supposed to have a classic hourglass-figure which is why Gal Gadot doesn't really fit the mold.

8. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

I think most women would disagree that WW's hourglass figure is what really made her relevant over the years. Lol

9. martok2112

Wonder Woman was actually created to satisfy her creator's (William Moulden Marston) fetish for female bondage. (This is not said disrespectfully...it is at least part pf the truth behind her creation.)

Once other writers got a hold of her, beyond Marston's control, then she became more the superheroine that most of us came to know and love.

@Christopher....Yes, that's the term I was looking for... "Proof of concept!". That's what I meant. :)

10. Christopher

That's just one part of it. Marston believed in female superiority, and felt the world would be a better place if they were in charge. Bondage and discipline play is about exploring power and submission in a loving way, and that principle of "loving submission" to superior feminine authority was something he saw as better than the brute force that men traditionally applied to get their way. (And yes, that often involved women being placed in bondage, but in bondage play, the person placed in bondage is really the one in control, because the other has to be highly sensitive to their feelings, needs, and safety.)

I don't think that's true at all. Marston wrote her as a genuinely strong, feminist icon, a symbol of the superior wisdom and loving power that he believed women had (and I don't disagree with him). Later writers reduced her to a more stereotypically feminine role and abandoned any feminist themes. It took decades more before creators like Dennis O'Neil and George Perez began to bring back the feminism and make her a really strong heroine again.

11. martok2112

You may be right, Christopher. It's been a while since I've really trailed a lot of the creative process for Wonder Woman. Being that you're a writer, I imagine you might be a bit more on top of such things. :)

12. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Monroe was around fifteen when WW debuted. Grable, Hepburn, Hayworth, Loy and others were popular actresses when WW hit the stands. Myrna Loy has a WWish look to me.

13. Enterprise1701

Enterprise1701 Commodore Commodore

If Dawn of Justice tries to be realistic, then what should Wonder Woman's native language be? Ancient Greek?

14. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

If you want to crosspollinate, if she's speaking Goddessese... Everyone can understand her.

15. Christopher

It's odd that everyone assume the Amazons were Greek. Their whole purpose in Greek mythology was to be not-Greek -- an alien, barbarian culture completely anathema to the Greeks' misogynistic gender values, a perverted enemy nation for manly Greek heroes to defeat and thereby reaffirm male dominance. They were probably based on the horse-nomad cultures of Central and Southwest Asia, which tended to have more gender equality than a sedentary agrarian society like Ancient Greece. They were generally reputed to come from either Anatolia (modern Turkey) or Scythia (modern Ukraine).

Anyway, if you wanted to be realistic, you wouldn't have a present-day culture speaking a language unchanged from thousands of years ago, because language doesn't work that way.

16. Enterprise1701

Enterprise1701 Commodore Commodore

Well, the Amazons of DC Comics have frequently appeared with the Greek gods. I do concede, though, that modern Themysciran Greek, if such a thing exists, would have to be different from ancient Greek somehow.

17. Christopher

^Yeah, but the "Greek gods" weren't affiliated solely with the nation of Greece; they were the deities that Greek culture believed to rule over the entire universe, including those parts of it that were not Greece. So Amazons are part of the same mythology as the Greek gods, but that doesn't make them Greek themselves. Even the name "Amazon" isn't Greek; it most likely comes from Persian.

18. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

That's Reynolds? Looks more like Jason Lee.

19. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

It would be easy to convince most people that that is Gary Oldman.

20. Taylirious

Taylirious Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Jason Lee could be Hal. What!? :p