Fitness Checkin

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by kimc, Jan 16, 2009.

1. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Just when I started having good workouts again, I get bronchitis. Awesome.

2. Crusher Disciple

Crusher Disciple Admiral Admiral

That's what happened to me this month during my special, cheap "new students unlimited dance lessons" month. I got a sinus infection and didn't fill like doing crap until this week.

I crashed the Rumba class and did really well. The instructor never knew. :devil:

Cha cha was much harder to jump in on the third week. I can totally get the pattern, but not on one night. I slipped out when the started pairing up so I wouldn't mess up the guys while they were leading.

3. Moocey

Moocey Vice Admiral Admiral

Hey y'all. I bought a road bike a couple weeks ago and I've been on it just about every day since. I can see my abs again! And my quads are huge!

4. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Oooh, nice. I was thinking of getting a bike yesterday because the weather was so nice! I didn't, though, because I don't know anything about buying a bike. I haven't owned one since junior high!

Maybe that's something I will look into.

5. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Update: I mentioned getting a bike to a friend of mine, and he told me I should get one so I can join him on RAGBRAI. If you don't know what that is, it's an annual week-long bike ride across the state of Iowa.

He did it two years ago...had a lot of fun...ended up having sex with a woman in a port-a-potty...whatever.

Anyway, I kind of want to do it. So I think I'm gonna go to a bike shop on my next day off and start training.

6. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Ew

7. Moocey

Moocey Vice Admiral Admiral

Awesome. Your local bike shop is the only place you should consider buying a bike. If you're looking to take a week-long ride across a state, you'll probably want to spend $800-1000 minimum on a quality road bike.

8. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Damn, that's a lot of money.

I was thinking maybe $500.

9. jamestyler

jamestyler Commodore Commodore

I did my first timed run today and it was abysmal.

I was doing well until last week and suddenly it's all fallen apart. I've got three weeks to get my times down, I'm aiming for two miles in ten minutes. I'm already training with the Army every Tuesday until then, doing a run to, from and in the park nearby (about 4-5 miles). Anyone have any tips?

It's a complete culture shock... all my bulking up has turned into losing weight and cardio. I'm determined to plow through it.

10. Crusher Disciple

I've got nice abs now. :techman:

Damn, salsa class went really well last night. I could've tested out of level 1 and into level 2 last night, but I didn't realize it. That's okay, I'll have a few more weeks to practice and get more familiar with the moves.

Rumba tonight.

11. archeryguy1701

archeryguy1701 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Be patient. 5 minute miles are pretty fast, especially when you're trying to do two in a row. I don't know where you're at right now, or what you've done, but my initial reaction without knowing anything is that I don't think you would be able to get that fast in 2 weeks. For suggestions, do speed-work once or twice a weeks. If there is a track somewhere in your town, do some sort of intervals... sprint x-meters, rest a short period of time, wash, rinse, and repeat.

12. Crusher Disciple

Rumba class went well. These side steps are making the outside of my legs sore.

13. jamestyler

Cheers :)

It is quite an unobtainable goal, but this is the only time I will admit that. I'm going to try and push myself harder than I have before. Speed work... thats easily achievable and I have a track in mind for it.

I'm also planning on running as much as possible on the grounds the Army are using to pre-train new recruits (which is ten minutes from my house), as well as signing up with their trainers classes every Tuesday morning.

The goal for my age is something like a mile and a half in 12 minutes, but I want to drop to the younger age group best time. The more I push, the less I'll fall into a comfort zone. My quickest time was 13:37 - since then I've shed a lot of weight and worked on cardio, but this week it all fell apart and I felt like I was back at square one.

This is the one final piece of the puzzle for joining the Army. So... time to focus on nothing but this.

14. archeryguy1701

^Cool stuff. :) Another thing to try is some hill work once every other week... get a nice, hill, whether it be long or short and fairly steep, and run to the top of it, walk/ jog down to the bottom, and after a little rest, go up it again. Hill workouts once in a while will help you speed up in general, but if you do it too much, it may get your legs unnecesarily bulky, and you will end up stronger but not faster. Good luck with everything!!!

For my fitnes check in, my tendonitis has been bothering my knees again, so I have skipped my runs this week and will probably skip this weekend as well.

15. jamestyler

Cheers for the above advide :) Oddly someone today mentioned the same routine as he does it on a hill nearby. I might give it a go this weekend as I'll have a lot of free time then.

Had a session with the Army recruiters today. Despite having a bad time in the run I did a lot better in todays session. I forgot to take water so I was dehydrated as smeg, but pushed myself further than I thought I would to get a bit over average.

'course the Sergeant foolishly let us do our induction alone as we were all used to the gym anyway and found us half an hour later getting slightly distracted starting a full workout. Oops.

16. TJinLOCA

TJinLOCA Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

OK, I'm getting serious about getting in shape ... again. I'm back to running 3 miles 3x a week or so, and I've been doing a good weight workout on the days I don't run.

Diet's harder, but I'm trying to stay away from sweets, and drink less. That last one is the hard part! :vulcan: I'm also eating more protein, and more frequent smaller meals. We'll see what happens.

17. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I bought a bike today!

I didn't get to ride it because I had to work, but hopefully I will able to take it out tomorrow (except it's supposed to rain all day!).

18. archeryguy1701

Haven't ran in a couple of weeks because my knee's been bothering me, but I've decided it's go time. I have 5 weeks before my big race. Even though I dropped down to the lower distance, I have some work to do the next month. I can deal with the consequences of running through my tendonitis in July. Starting this weekend, I'm getting back to my running.

19. Crusher Disciple

Still going to dance lessons. Tango on Monday and Salsa tonight. Rumba tomorrow and hopefully I'll make it to Two Step on Saturday.

20. TJinLOCA

TJinLOCA Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Good luck to everyone on their various fitness endeavors!

I'm back to running, although it's getting really hot around here. I did 2.5 miles with a mile of high intensity intervals in the middle, three hours ago. I feel as if I'm still sweating. Ick.

Tomorrow I'll stick to weightlifting in the air-conditioned gym.