Finger Dexterity, The Number 3 and What is Wrong?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Trekker4747, Aug 9, 2013.

1. Venardhi

Venardhi Vice Admiral Admiral

Both hands, opening and and closing, while hopping on one foot and rubbing my belly and patting my head.

I tend towards the ASL way these days ever since I took a semester of it. I count on my fingers the ASL way too when the occasion calls on it.

2. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

No, hypochondria is believing you have a serious medical condition even though the facts show otherwise. Other than the medical conditions I DO have I don't believe myself to have a serious medical condition.

3. iguana_tonante

iguana_tonante Admiral Admiral

Well, I don't want to look like a jerk (too late, I know), but this sounds like you kinda do believe that:

4. Trekker4747

It's more of a back of the mind think though than it is me making a bunch of appointments and spending hundreds of dollars doing tests and such. It's more of a "dammit! why don't my fingers work right!"

5. Scroogourner

Scroogourner Admiral Admiral

Here's a tough one. How many here can bend their pinky finger without the ring finger trying to follow? No cheating using your thumb to hold down the pinky!

It's funny, because I can move my ring finger without my pinky following, but if I try to move the pinky, the ring finger is slaved to it. I can do the "girlscout salute" though by holding my pinky down with my thumb and straightening the ring finger.

6. Trekker4747

Concentrating a bit I can move the ring finger without the other fingers moving as well but I can't move my pinky without the ring finger wanting to move with it, can't even concentrate to move it on its own.

7. OdoWanKenobi

OdoWanKenobi Admiral Admiral

I can move my ring finger on my right hand by itself, but not on my left hand. Both of my pinkies also bring my ring finger with them.

8. RJDonner&Blitzen

RJDonner&Blitzen Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

Yeah, apparently I'm the same. I can bend the ring finger all the way down without affecting (did I use "affect" right? :rommie: ) the others, but the pinky drags the ring finger with it. I can force the ring finger back up, but only if the pinky bends at the middle and not at the base.

9. propita

propita Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

1. Both hands, but my pinky had to be trained to not stick out. And my hand had to be trained to stay flat instead of bending.

2. Usually index-middle-ring, but it hurts a bit especially if I have to hold it a while. So I sometimes use middle-ring-pinky?

If I bend ANY of my fingers down, at least one adjoining finger at least starts to bend. If I make a finger touch my palm, adjoining fingers are halfway bent.

All except my thumbs--they're independent. I like that about them. Maybe because there's a (I'm told) unusual amount of muscle and tension in the "web" area.

10. Happy Xmas (War Is Over)

Happy Xmas (War Is Over) Fleet Admiral Premium Member

Can you roll your tongue?

Touch your tongue to the tip of your nose?

Whistle?

11. Spot's Meow

Spot's Meow Spot's Meow Premium Member

I can sort of do the Vulcan salute on both hands. Meaning, I can't just do it naturally (my pinky and ring finger won't stay together) but I can use my other hand to position my fingers and then I can keep them in that position with no pain.

I show the number three using my three middle fingers. Using my thumb, index, and middle finger (or the German/ASL way as you called it) is actually a bit painful and I cannot hold it long.

12. Kitty Worrier

Kitty Worrier Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Same for me. I am right handed, btw.

13. RJDonner&Blitzen

Yeth.

Not without removing it.

Very well.

14. Happy Xmas (War Is Over)

Happy Xmas (War Is Over) Fleet Admiral Premium Member

I guess I have a long tongue. Call me "Gene". ;)

15. scotpens

scotpens Vice Admiral Admiral

I knew a boy in grammar school who could lick his own penis.

16. rhubarbodendron

rhubarbodendron Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

well, at our age we hardly have a need for a girl scout salute :D
    ^that's the way I signal 3, btw. Only I spread the fingers. Such a 3 is easily visible from afar and hence quite useful for military, scouts/brownies and others who work outdoors.

I fail to understand how someone can *not* do that without bending their forefingers. Even I can, in spite of the tendeon injury and the scars. Can a little bit of training really make such a difference?

17. thestrangequark

thestrangequark Admiral Admiral

I suspect the tendon in my right forefinger is just not long enough. I can do the salute with my left hand. With my right hand my forefinger stubbornly stays bent at the top two joints, and if I try to force it straight it feels like it will break. It hardly matters, though, as the only effect it has ever had on my life is a wonky Girl Scout salute. :)

18. rhubarbodendron

rhubarbodendron Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Just like me :beer:

19. RJDonner&Blitzen