Fear the Walking Dead Season 2 discussion and spoilers.

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Morpheus 02, Mar 3, 2016.

1. Morpheus 02

Morpheus 02 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Since we're already viewing webisodes during TWD, as well as plenty of commercials, I thought it might be wise to start up the thread...

So how do we feel? I am extremely disappointed with the time jump. It seemed to erase what many people were looking forward to in this show.

Hopefully the lamer characters will be killed and we'll get more interesting one.

I am hoping to see Tobias return as the leader of a group of survivors.

And I hope we also see Michelle Ang ("Charlie" from Flight 462) get connected as well. She obviously has a story that needs to be told.

p.s. Where does Flight 462 fit into Fear, "officially"

2. Mark_Nguyen

Mark_Nguyen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I watch via alternate means and so haven't been catching Flight 462. Will do so at its conclusion.

They already did a form of time jump in FTWD in the middle of the season by locking everyone in their neighborhood and sitting tight for many days. The thing you're talking about - actually watching the fall of society through the eyes of this show - basically happens off screen while the main characters here basically pull a TWD season 2 that's somewhat less boring. By the end of the season, aside from everyone landing in a pristine safe haven, it's functionally not much different than where the main show is now.

Aside - if you're a manga fan, try the series "I Am A Hero", which Dark Horse will be bringing out this year. It actually DOES show the rapid decline of civilization, through the eyes of a slightly-delusional introvert shut-in. The art isn't stereotypical manga style, but it does a great job (so far - it's ongoing) in showing how Japan rapidly goes to crap as the dead start rising. Also, zombie babies. Lots of zombie babies.

Mark

Riverside2233 and Morpheus 02 like this.
  3. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

I haven't been watching the promos so I didn't realize there was going to be a time jump. That really is kind of a bummer.

4. Morpheus 02

Morpheus 02 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The time jump is as Mark mentioned the middle of season 1...which to me seemed like the producers had this great idea for a show, but dumped it during production (kinda like Voyager).

Season 2, from the commercials, seems to pick up right where we left off, as they prepare to board the ship. If IMDB is correct (and I am not betting on it) we should have at least 1 addition to the crew before it sails.

5. STEPhon IT

STEPhon IT Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Seems like drifting away from California is the best thing to do, but eventually they'll require fuel and food. These shows were never geared to have any sort of hope or path of a resolution. The Walking Dead and Fear* could be on it's 20th season and they'll still be right where they're left off.

6. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

Can't wait to rejoin the adventures of the super-villains.

EmoBorg likes this.
  7. Servo

Servo Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The time jump kind of ruined it for me, to be honest. I was looking forward to seeing the fall of civilisation. What we got was the fall of a few city blocks viewed through a tiny hole in a wall while people whined about petty shit in the background. Now we're left with the characters in the position of surviving the aftermath together, which is exactly what we've had for 6 seasons on the main show. The only difference is that I give a shit about the characters on TWD. We could lose any character from FTWD and I wouldn't be bothered.

Season 2 is going to have to work very hard to not just be TWD: LA with boring characters.

8. Mark_Nguyen

Mark_Nguyen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm running through Stargate Universe right now and am actually seeing some parallels. Nevermind the apocalypse, both shows tried TOO hard to give us flawed characters, which resulted in making most of them generally unlikeable. This makes it too much of an investment to see anyone change and grow, which kills the show IMO. Still, some shows like Agents of Shield were able to do it, so...

Mark

9. TREK_GOD_1

TREK_GOD_1 Vice Admiral Admiral

Its the same, cowardly Kirkman avoidance of why the ZA happened, including any greater look into the fall of society. So, with the time jump, it might as well be TWD season 1.

That means everyone is killed off except Alicia (and she's a case-by-case situation) and the ever so mysterious Strand.

I'm not sure, but it seems like it would have to be during the first week after most citizens are aware of the dead rising, since some on the plane are clearly aware of a spreading situation.

10. Turd Ferguson

Turd Ferguson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm looking forward to Fear's return. The No Safe Harbor tagline has me intrigued. Maybe the fall of civilization we saw (or didn't see, due to the time jump) only happened that fast in major cities like Atlanta and Los Angeles. So, it's possible they could put to port somewhere up the coastline like in upstate California, Oregon or Washington state and come across a town where either the zombie virus hasn't taken root yet or is in its early stages. All the while the townsfolk look at our group spreading doom and gloom like they're insane because the dead just don't get up and start walking around.

11. hux

hux Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

When is this back? I found season one to be monumentally disappointing. Walking Dead is like the Marvel movie universe (took their time building it) while Fear the Walking Dead is like the DC movie universe (lets try and establish it entirely in one go with Batman Vs Superman).

Fear the Walking Dead was basically all the stuff the Walking Dead skipped by putting Rick in a coma. They were right to skip it. Hopefully, they hit the ground running with season two.

12. TREK_GOD_1

April 10.

If anyone cares, because with what might happen in TWD's season finale, all attention could end up focusing on the parent series all spring and summer long.

FTWD would do well if they bumped off the drug addict and his obnoxious mother. The rest of the cast is tolerable..just as long as that other mama's baby never picks up a camera again.

13. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

Well, that was a thing, I guess. Seems they're starting out slow. Hopefully something happens (anything) in episode 2.

How many episodes are we getting this season?

ETA: Ah, Talking Dead says 15 episodes this season.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2016
  14. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

15, though only 7 in the spring. No idea when the second half starts, I would guess near the end of the summer to lead into season 7 of Walking Dead, like they did last year.

15. TREK_GOD_1

FTWD season 2..and Strand still tolerates largely ungrateful, self interested bums. Now, it seems like Alicia has set up her own people to be tracked by the voice she was speaking to.

16. Commander Richard

Commander Richard Yo! Man! Premium Member

2x01...

People making bad decisions for the sake of the plot or just making bad decisions in general, like the girl who got on the radio to bring them trouble. That said, I'm looking forward to more. I'm on the yacht owner's side. He's the most sensible one so far.

Gotta watch that Flight 462 or whatever. I tink I missed one or two segments.

17. sojourner

I'm not sure you can qualify wanting to save other random people they encounter as "self interested". Short sighted and gullibly dumb? Yeah, but not self interested.

18. Commander Richard

Commander Richard Yo! Man! Premium Member

I kept thinking... If only they had a clipper ship. They wouldn't have to ditch it due to fuel issues.

[​IMG]

19. Evil Twin

Evil Twin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Being on a boat in the middle of the ocean during the zombie apocalypse? Yup, about as mind-numbingly boring as you'd expect. Hershel's farm 2.0 here we come!

20. sojourner

Maybe they'll run into the Nathan James.