FARSCAPE..worth the trouble?

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by RobertScorpio, Feb 1, 2010.

?

Farscape

1. Worth the trouble...watch it!!!

96 vote(s)
    95.0%
  2. It's okay. If you have the extra time, not bad.

5 vote(s)
    5.0%
  1. Can

Can Commander Red Shirt

Every great series or franchise have hits and misses , nothing is perfect....But I should point out for me even the most of the mediocre Farscape episodes were much better and in higher quality than most of the best episodes of other sci-fi/fantasy series...I guess the characters and creativity of writing team made the trick...

2. votd

votd Commander Red Shirt

Farscape is amazing - I'm not a big fan of Crais as the main villain in S1 though, he comes across as wooden and non-threatening; once Scorpius steps up though so does the whole show.

3. Dar70

Dar70 Vice Admiral Admiral

Robert just watch the dang thing.:lol: This is like the third thread on farscape since its recent series collection release. The second I think where someone wonders if they should watch it. Its a great show. My favorite scifi show ever.(one of my favorite shows ever) Even the bad episodes are fun and not really that bad. it has everything a scifi fan could hope for. Great character relationships, friendships, enemies, conflict, drama, sadness, comedy, action, sfx, sets, the list keeps going.

Stop reading this thread and watch 2 episodes a day. Come back in about 45 days and tell us how you liked it. Sheesssh.

4. Plomeek Broth

Plomeek Broth Commander Red Shirt

First time Farscape viewer here.

I have watched the first 10 episodes of Season One so far. I really like the characters, especially D'Argo and Rygel. I'm down with the puppets. However, the actual stories themselves so far seem really disconnected and the opening scene of some episodes make me feel unsettled because they start in the middle of something already happening and there is no leading up to how they got where they are, who they are dealing with, and what is actually going down. It feels like I skipped a scene or two at the beginning of an ep when really I haven't. On a positive, this is the first sci fi show I have seen that feels truly alien in space and very very weird (read creative and fresh). I keep hearing Season 1 is the worst and just stick with it and most people say the Bugs Life ep is when things get good or sometime late in the season. Heck, I can't wait to get a few eps down the line to where Chiana is introduced.

So far so good. I've watched the first 10 eps only (but they really do feel standalone and I am clamoring for the story arcs). Is this a typical first time viewer reaction to Farscape?

5. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Yep, pretty typical. Farscape is my all-time favorite show, but even I can barely watch most of Season 1 anymore.

My favorite episodes of Season 1 are "DNA Mad Scientist," "A Human Reaction," and the last few episodes starting with "A Bugs Life." The final arc (yes, I said arc!) of the season is absolutely fantastic.

6. RandyS

RandyS Vice Admiral Admiral

Typical, but incomprehensible. I actually prefer the simplicity of the earlier episodes. Of course, that's not to say I hate what came after. I don't.

7. Can

Can Commander Red Shirt

That is typical. First half of Farscape is mainly stand-alone ( though some episodes will play important parts in later arcs , you just do not realize it initially , just like in first season of Babylon 5 ) But for me even most of the stand alone episodes are in much higher quality than sci-fi stuff we see on tv regularly. Some stand alones are vital to get acquinted Farscape universe , characters and their evolution.

So stick to it...Character arcs are incredible in Farscape

8. Trubinator

Trubinator Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

You'll realize when you finish the show that the whole series is arced out in away. While a good chunk of season 1 contains standalones, many episodes play key roles later down the line. Seasons 1 & 2 also have many two, three, and even four parters interspersed if you like that. But season 3 is pretty much an uninterrupted arc. Season 4 is part standalone, part arc. And yes, it's well worth the trouble. Hope that helps!

9. Dar70

So Robert have you been watching????

10. The Borgified Corpse

The Borgified Corpse Admiral Admiral

Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down ther
    I've only seen a few episodes here & there, pretty much all from the 1st season. I love the characters but there's something about the tone of the series that I don't like; like whenever I watch the series, I wind up encased in some kind of amber colored film. Often it seems to be just going for weird for weird's sake.

"DNA Mad Scientist" is the episode that really drove me away. The needles in the eyes were too gross for me. And it seemed very strange that everyone treated Pilot so cruelly, even Zhaan.:wtf:

11. Technobuilder

Technobuilder Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Farscape is trouble with a Capital T.

Worth It.

12. Dar70

There are more layers to Zhaan than what you see during the first half of the season.

13. LitmusDragon

LitmusDragon Commodore Commodore

So I've just finished the whole series! Hooray! :lol:

I guess I don't have much to say that hasn't been said before. The third season is one of the best seasons of television I've ever seen. I don't think Star Trek- ANY incarnation of it- has had that strong a season. Maybe DS9 at it's peak.

The first few episodes of S4 were really confused and kind of bad. Then it picked up in the middle and became about as good as S3.

Peacekeeper Wars was pretty good but
    I was hoping for more Earth stuff. I thought that was the best stuff about S4, and it doesn't seem quite right that John Crichton never made it back home again. Yes they kind of closed off the Earth arc at the end of S4 but it felt unfinished, somehow.

PS- I think it's horrible that this show got cancelled. A lot of really interesting territory was started to get mined in S4. The mirror universe type stuff especially.

14. Forbin

Forbin Admiral Admiral

Purely a financial decision on the part of Sci fi, sadly. They wanted to cut expenses, so they cancelled an expensive show. As the producer said when he announced it to the cast & crew, "We didn't do anything wrong."

15. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

Having looked at the Archive Thread about this Forum and seeing a Farscape thread on the front page of both 2000 and 2003 I think it shows how Farscape not only maintains a strong place in modern sci-fi series lore but that it finds new fans.

Me being one.

16. Checkmate

Checkmate Commodore

It's not often you see a poll this slanted for a sci-fi series. 95%, baby.

17. Smiley

Smiley Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I watched the premiere episode last night, and I thought it was merely okay. I feel like I don't know as much as I should about the main characters. I didn't even catch the names of anyone besides Aeryn and John Crichton. I know that some shows take longer than others to find their footing, though. Which episode is the first one that the majority of fans really adore? I love Trek, B5, and SG-1, so I won't be majorly bummed if the series isn't for me, but I do want to give it a fair shot.

18. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

"DNA Mad Scientist" and "A Human Reaction" are probably the earliest really good episodes, but the show doesn't really find its footing until the last 4 episodes of the season.

19. cultcross

cultcross Postponed for the snooker Moderator

Hmm well I thought the pilot of Farscape was one of the best pilots out there, oddly for many of the reasons you weren't so keen. I loved the fact it didn't spend half the show introducing everyone and went straight into the story. The slower paced 'everyone gets their moment' approach that say SG-1 went for is fine, but it tends to make the actual story of the episode weaker as a result.

Having said all that, RoJoHen is quite correct - the show didn't really find its groove until the end of the first season. From then on it is pretty much consistently awesome.

20. TechnoBoY

TechnoBoY Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Farscape for the WIN!

Wish more shows would try to pull off 3 parters!