Farscape or Buffy The Vampire Slayer

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Infern0, May 20, 2013.

1. Infern0

Infern0 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I have never seen either show and am going to watch both all the way through but which would you start with if in my shoes?

2. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

Depends on your tastes. Buffy's first season is not representative of the rest of the series. It takes a while to gain momentum. Farscape starts off strong but it is a little out there. Sometimes you wonder if you are high when you are watching it. With a minor pacing issue in season two, it sticks together well as a story from beginning to end. Buffy is a little different in that each season is an arc unto its own. You could watch a couple of seasons of Buffy and take a break before going back to it. With Farscape, you are going to want to watch the whole thing all the way through.

3. Kegg

Kegg Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I didn't like Buffy, so I'm going to say Farscape (doesn't hurt I'm in the middle of yet another rewatch). It starts stronger than some sci-fi shows (like most of the Treks, for example) but it doesn't actually really start coming together and getting good until "Durka Returns", with "Nerve" being the make-or-break episode for new viewers.

Farscape is an oddball and fantastic and brilliant space opera series, and if you're in this forum I assume you enjoy those.

4. Timelord Victorious

Timelord Victorious Vice Admiral Admiral

What's wrong with alternating episode by episode?

5. Vendikarr

Vendikarr Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Why not 'program your own network." Watch one hour of Buffy, then one hour of Farscape every night, and see which one grabs you more, and then keep watching that to the end.

6. Icemizer

Icemizer Commodore Commodore

I am struggling to get through the first fews eps of Buffy for so many reasons and so will strongly recommend Farscape.

7. .:: TSN ::.

.:: TSN ::. Captain Captain

Alternate Buffy & Farscape episode by episode, and after season 3 of Buffy add Angel to the mix.

8. Lucky

Lucky Captain Captain

I consider Buffy, Angel and Farscape to be my Holy Trinity of TV. Buffy is my favorite series ever, but it would be a bigger investment, as it is 7 seasons and it has a spinoff that lasts 5 (and part of it should be watched concurrently with Buffy). Farscape is amazing too though, easily my favorite sci-fi series. It is creative, out there, and has some wonderfully developed characters. Both shows take a bit to find their legs. For Farscape it is towards the end of the first season, for Buffy more towards the middle of the second. But all the shows are great and worth watching.

9. Leroy

Leroy Commodore Commodore

You couldn't get any more apples and oranges if you tried. Go with Buffy if you are interested in fantasy and vampires. Go with Farscape if you are more interested in outer space and aliens.

10. Forbin

Forbin Admiral Admiral

Stick with it. Season 1 amounts to a bunch of standalone horror trope spoofs (which is actually why I liked it, personally). Season 2 is very strong and more acr-driven. If you're not sold by the time you get to the S2 finale, you're not going to like it any better. But I think there's brilliance in every season.

11. Evil Twin

Evil Twin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Not entirely an accurate statement, I don't give a fig about vampires, nor really cared about the show's mythology, yet I still really liked the show. It's the clever writing and great characters that make the show a joy to watch. It succeeds despite its subject matter (and that was the thing that was holding me back from giving the show a chance for so long.)

12. Halmirdax

Halmirdax Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Buffy is big on fighting and character stories. With of course your typical monster problem every episode kind of shunting along the story.
    Farscape is great for prosthetic lovers, some of my favourite sci-fi characters spent their lives in Farscape. Hope you enjoy whichever you start with first!

13. kirk55555

kirk55555 Vice Admiral Admiral

Buffy is a great show. I liked season one, but it does take a bit to gain momentum. Still, it has great characters, clever writing, and overall is just a great show. I watched a fair amount of farscape and ended up not liking it (although season 1 was ok). It definately isn't written as well as Buffy is once Buffy gets going. I'd say go with Buffy.

14. Thestral

Thestral Vice Admiral Admiral

Oh man, I can't even decide. Both are in my top 5 shows - I'd say alternate, either season by season or episode by episode. As noted though you may want to throw Angel in the mix eventually... Farscape's certainly less of an investment. Both shows are absolutely brilliant though.

15. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Ooh, that's a rough one. Both are near the top of the heap when it comes to genre shows: clever, funny, dramatic, imaginative . . . often at the same time!

Hard to go wrong with either.

16. hyzmarca

hyzmarca Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I've marathoned Buffy before, finishing the entire series in 5 days before going on to angel at a similar pace. I've done that twice. I've never marathoned Farscape like that. Most I've done is like 4 eps a day.

By the way, I don't recomend doing 144 episodes in five days. It's extremely fun, but not healthy.

17. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Damn, I don't think I could do that with any show.
    As for the question, I'd say it depends on which you prefer, sci-fi or fantasy. Both shows are two of my favorites of all time. You are in for a hell of a ride.

18. Lindley

Lindley Moderator with a Soul Premium Member

The differences aren't that significant. Demons and aliens don't play fundamentally different roles in a dramatic sense, and magic tech isn't all that different from plain old magic when it comes down to it.

Both shows thrive on the strength of their characters and arcs, not on their particular set of conceits.

19. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Damn. I don't watch much regular TV, typically no more than 3 or 4 shows at a time, and often not even that many, so, I do watch alot of box sets, and probably go through about a season a week. But, 144 episodes in a week? That's over 20 episodes a day. I would probably watch all of Buffy in a month, but a week?

20. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

I am in a similar position in that I have seen neither. Buffy was too scary for my toddler when it was first broadcast so I only saw a couple of episodes. Farscape just looked awful - rather like The Muppet Show in space so I just didn't bother with it.

Of the two, I'm way more interested in seeing Buffy...