Farscape First time watch thread....

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Distorted Humor, Jun 16, 2011.

1. TiberiusMaximus

TiberiusMaximus Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Fair enough. I will cease and desist. :)

2. Trubinator

Trubinator Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Some of these avatars are spoilerific, too. Sakrysta's is awesome, but it kind of shows what happens between the two main characters.

3. Distorted Humor

Distorted Humor Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I am the OP, and it does not spoil, as I don't know who's baby that is, for alls i know its D'argo's kid being fostered.... :techman:

4. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Very Interesting. You should come back and read your post again, after you watch the concluding Mini-Series Peacekeeper Wars

5. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

Actually the OP should reread that comment during the second season too.

I don't really see that as a spoiler, but I also don't really pay attention to the avatars. All I knew of Farscape before this year was the last minute of the show on the water world and Scorpio. Neither one wrecked my enjoyment of the show.

6. Sakrysta

Sakrysta Vice Admiral Admiral

Sorry, I have avatars turned off. I had completely forgotten that was my avatar. :eek:

7. Distorted Humor

Well the weekend is coming up, so hopefully I can knock out a bunch of epsiodes.

8. Distorted Humor

"Till the Blood Runs Clear" - Not a bad episode, at times funny (Butch and Sandance and other funny moments) and it does show up to the kink by having sunorgasms and D'Argo in bondage. The guest stars where odd.

"Rhapsody in Blue" - the opening sequence is hilarious, but much of the rest of the episode is odd, two of the actresses looked too alike in the alien makeup and i was getting confused. Also unlike the previous episode, the guest stars where decent. and one of them has Heterochromia.

9. Bonzo the Fifth

Bonzo the Fifth Commander Red Shirt

Yeah, I really like 'Till the Blood Runs Clear'. Probably the first time since 'PK Tech Girl' that John and Aeryn got to be the Dynamic Duo sans D'Argo. It's interesting to watch their banter at this point, as John has to try fairly hard to get Aeryn to go along with any of his suggestions. It's obvious she still doesn't see him as anything like an equal, more like an inept asset.

I have to say my favorite moment in the ep comes from the scene where Aeryn is forced to swallow her bile while Crichton hams up the chauvinistic display for the two Vorcarian Blood Trackers in order to get Alpha status over them. By the end of the episode, though, you can see that Crichton's and Aeryn's 'working' relationship has progressed quite a bit, with much of the stage set for some of their later feats of derring-do.

10. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Everytime I see Rhapsody in Blue, I get even more annoyed. Maybe it's the whole spiritual/craziness angle that plagued the episode, but it is one of the weaker episodes of the series. Hell, the only thing it did in my view was introduce the concept of Unity (After watching Bone to Be Wild the other night, I have a question regarding Unity but I can't spoil anything) and that concept was kind of thrown away shortly after.

Till the Blood Runs Clear was a fun episode though, with some good Chrichton/Aeryn moments and the fun of the end battle scene.

11. Distorted Humor

well, last night I was sick as a dog, so I went ahead and rewatched those episodes in case the illness altered my view of the episodes. I enjoyed Till the blood runs clear very much, but Blue still sucked.

12. Kegg

Kegg Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

"Rhapsody in Blue" is one of the episodes I was pretty forgiving to on my first run through the series simply because I liked the idea of it - finally, an episode that delves into the culture of one of our resident aliens other than the Peacekeepers, and tells us some crazy stuff about Zhaan's crazy past. And unity, there's a headtrip... in a very literal sense.

But yeah, it's not actually good.

13. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I think the other thing that annoys me about Rhapsody in Blue is I still don't entirely get the story. It's almost like the entire episode was told in Riddles (And just to make sure I'm not stupid, I get pretty much get every other story in the series) and the whole Unity makes one go insane angle is something that I find confusing.

However, learning about Zhaan's past and the unity scenes were well done so I can't dog the episode too much. There are worse episodes out there, like the two last night which one wasn't very good (Vitas Mortis) and the other was Farscape on Acid (Taking the Stone).

Last edited: Jun 26, 2011
  14. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

With this series, that's an occupational hazard. ;)

15. TiberiusMaximus

TiberiusMaximus Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I loved "Till The Blood Runs Clear", specifically seeing Crichton bluff the hell out of the Norcarian blood trackers. "Put that gun down before I make you EAT IT!" Playing the alpha male...and it was hilarious later on when they stopped buying it.

16. Sakrysta

Sakrysta Vice Admiral Admiral

I think "Rhapsody in Blue" wouldn't have been so bad if it hadn't been such a disappointment as regards the Delvians in general. Zhaan was so cool and mysterious and multi-layered, and then we got to this episode with all the petty relationship musical chairs and power grabbing and it all felt so small and insignificant and off by itself in the middle of nowhere. It just felt like here was this little Delvian cult off by themselves going wacky on Unity acid and pretending to be important.

Funny how something similar, the Nebari rebellion, felt real and immediate, even though it arguably was less developed when it was first presented. But I cared about what happened to the Nebari. The Delvians I just wished we'd never heard from if that was all they were.

17. Bonzo the Fifth

Bonzo the Fifth Commander Red Shirt

I think a lot of that is just that the glimpse we did get of the Delvians was just so... incomplete. We get a glimpse of one splinter colony of them, but, in the end, we don't end up with any other insight into their greater culture or personality. Hell, we don't even really discover anything about Delvian society outside of its spiritual component (or even if it HAS a secular component). Contrasted with, say, the Peacekeepers, where we lean at least that Peacekeepers!=Sebeceans, and that there is considerable variation in their temperament. Or the bits of Luxan society we end up seeing. Yes, it's a martial society, but it does seem to have other aspects, as we'll see through various Luxan guest characters over the course of the series. Even the Hynerians seem to have somewhat of a diversity to them, if half of Rygel's tales of their history have any merit to them.

With the Delvians, though, we end the series knowing next to nothing about them, and 'Rhapsody...' being, rather frustratingly, the ONLY episode of the series that even attempts to spotlight them, and it does a very terrible job of it. I think that's what gives this episode a bad rap. Not that it's necessarily BAD, but that it's woefully and frustratingly incomplete. Which is really much too bad, because Zhaan as a character is really quite interesting and cool.

18. Distorted Humor

Well the good news is later this week I should get rolling again on Farscape, right now i am watching 3 tv series, but one of them is almost finished.

19. Zhylka

Zhylka Lieutenant Red Shirt

When viewing the episode I can see why someone would think that, but just wait until the second season. There are points in the story that are understood better by watching Rhapsody In Blue. I do agree that it is a week episode, and some continuity in later episodes come in to question, so I am in agreement on that point. Just wait until Through The Looking Glass and PK Tech Girl. That's when it starts to really get good.

20. DS9Continuing

DS9Continuing Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The thing with the Delvians - or perhaps just with Zhaan - is that you can kinda see where they might have been going with it in season 2, if not for certain real-life concerns getting in the way.

Watch "The Locket" with knowledge of later seasons in mind, and focusing more on Zhaan and Stark than Crichton and Aeryn, and you'll get what I mean.