Farscape - anything I need to know?

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by backstept, Feb 17, 2009.

1. Rowan Sjet

Rowan Sjet Commodore Commodore

I should probably get the DVDs out and give it another go one of these days, but PKWars has never sat entirely right with me. I think it's because, at least compared to the 4 seasons before it, the plot mostly drove the story, rather than the characters. A kind of necessary evil, I guess, considering the timeframe they had to deal with.

I'd probably give it an Above Average, if we were to rate it today.

2. chrisspringob

chrisspringob Commodore Commodore

I didn't really like PK Wars myself. I thought the PK/Scarran conflict thread was resolved in an unbelievably hokey manner (not going to get into more detail, because I don't want to drop spoilers for the newbies). Nothing really happened in PK Wars that I found all that imaginative or surprising. I actually felt the same about most of Season 4 as well. Season 3 was great, but then I thought the show went off the rails.

I actually kind of prefer "Bad Timing" as a finale over PK Wars. It was a serious 'WTF?' style random ending, that seems more in the spirit of Farscape.

3. Yoda

Yoda Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I didn't think Season 4 and PK Wars was quite in the same league as Season 2 and 3. The stuff in the beginning of Season 4 didn't work for me, I don't remember specifics, but the crew was all kind of fractured and apart, and it all took too long. PK Wars was solid, but it felt off... even Pilot didn't sound right.

I don't think I'd call Bad Timing a good series finale. I might accept something like that if they meant it as a WTF ending, but if it's written and filmed as a cliffhanger to be resolved, it by definition is a TERRIBLE way to end.

4. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

While the first half of S4 was very muddled, the second half was excellent. And while I've only seek PK Wars a single time when it first came out, I remember thinking it was a good ending to the story.

5. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

I really need to start watching Farscape again. And finally watch the fourth season and the miniseries, as well. Is it mildly embarrassing that the guy with the Scorpius avatar hasn't seen the final season of the show he's called his "favorite" more than once?

6. Orac Zen

Orac Zen Mischief Manager Super Moderator

^
    It does seem just a bit odd. :lol:

S4 of Farscape is a bit like S5 of B5 for me - both start off with too much emphasis on characters I...err...dislike a very great deal, but then become quite brilliant. And PK Wars is pretty damned good, IMHO. :bolian:

7. rramarr

rramarr Commander Red Shirt

I was thinking the same thing about Farscape because its such an expensive series - did you get a deal or bite the bullet?

Totally unrelated.

I'll cross that bridge when it gets here.
    Burn the midnight oil.

It reminds me of Boondock Saints when the bartender kept mixing up his idioms - I don't know if you seen that but it's funny.

A picture is worth a dime a dozen.

If you can't stand the heat hatch your chickens.

insomnia insignificance at its finest.

8. Checkmate

Checkmate Commodore

The only problem with the Peacekeeper Wars is that there's a very noticable discontinuity between it and the series due to the long break that occurred. Everything is just a little off, and combined it really skews your perceptions just enough to draw your attention to it a little too often, and thus draw you out of the story.

As for the fourth season, the only part I really enjoyed about it -- and this is something I rarely see anyone mention or notice -- is that the song the missing monks chanted (in the flashback) at the archaelogical dig site was the same song that's been a part of the theme since the beginning. Other than that, I honestly can't watch much of season four until after Lava's a Many Splendid Thing (and that episode cumulated in the gross-out ugh factor of the show that I really disliked).

9. Booked_moss

Booked_moss Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Recently rewatched the peacekeeper wars and cannot be the only one thinking that i wish it had not been made as the previous ending to the tv show when it was canceled was just so farscape and right for that show.

10. chrisspringob

chrisspringob Commodore Commodore

Honestly, I didn't even really dig the latter half of Season 4 all that much. I mean, parts of it were good, but the formula was getting a bit stale for me by that point. But really, if this is going to turn into an extended discussion of Season 4 and PK Wars, we should move it to a new thread, since this thread has newbies who haven't seen everything yet.

11. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

"Bad Timing" as the ending?!?!

That would have justified the pitchforks and torches treatment. :devil:

12. Bishbot

Bishbot Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

A world of agreement! Just because it would have been an unconventional ending to an unconventional show doesn't mean it wouldn't also have sucked golf balls through a hose. "Bad Timing" without the final cliffhanger would have been acceptable, but not anywhere near as good as PKW.

13. Booked_moss

Booked_moss Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Bad timing was so farscape. PKW was every sci-fi show ever.

Liked PKW but after a few years i think Bad timing was fascape. Everyone to their own i suppose.

14. backstept

backstept Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

John Quixote! :lol:
    Farscape does outlandish wacky humor simultaneously with suspenseful drama! I love it :D

15. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

It took me watching "John Quixote" a couple times before I loved it. The first time I just remember thinking "WTF was that?"

But now it's one of my all-time favorites.

16. Plain Simple

Plain Simple Commodore Commodore

^That's a great episode. One of many. :)

17. backstept

for me it was instant
    I kept thinking 'this is great!' while I was watching
    for me one of the funniest parts was Claudia's silly accent as the princess :D

one thing that I didn't quite get was how Stark got into the game . . . maybe I'll have to watch it again.

indeed . . . it was great to see Zhaan again

18. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Yeah, that part confused me a lot the first time.

Basically (as I understand it), after Stark left at the end of Season 3, he ran into some guy who created a virtual reality game based on the memories he gathered from the dead John Crichton. That is why there was no Noranti or Sikozu, and why Jool was still around. It's just a matter of cosmic Farscapian coincidence that it happened to be the same game that Chiana and Crichton ended up playing.

I have to say, though, that I honestly love this episode more for the few heartbreaking moments than I do all the comedy. A few moments specifically stand out in my head:

When Zhaan returns, her dialogue is fantastic: "This Stark blames you, believes I died for the love of you" and "Have you wasted my death, and the deaths of so many others?"

And at the very end with Aeryn: "I hear I was a princess," and then Crichton doesn't even respond.

Dammit, now I think I have to watch it.

19. Plain Simple

Plain Simple Commodore Commodore

I think that's about right. :)

20. backstept

oh man . . . I just thought of a horrible t shirt design . . . nobody steal it okay? :lol:
    it's a picture of Chiana on a tricycle, and the caption says "Tralk on a trike."

anyway . . . just finished season 4 . . . Bad Timing indeed