Fantastic Four reboot-- Casting, Rumors, Pix, ect;

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Turtletrekker, Dec 8, 2012.

1. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Clearly!

2. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

You're welcome.

Family Business. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0097328/

Hmm, while there's much I dislike about that movie, I thought physically Shia wasn't a bad bit of casting. He has a similarly prominent nose to Ford and Allen's colouring.

I agree about Phoenix (who had earlier played Ford's son in The Mosquite Coast) and Flannery. I remember when the idea of a Young Indiana series was mooted, there was talk of Phoenix reprising his role. However, I think he was too big a movie star by that stage to take a regular tv gig, even if it was as Indiana Jones.

3. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Oh, that's right, Young Indy premiered a year and a half before Phoenix died. I'd forgotten that.

For what it's worth, I did think that Corey Carrier, the actor playing the preadolescent Indy, was credible as a younger Ford. He seemed to have a similar speech cadence and delivery to Ford, unlike Flanery.

4. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

^Of course, we've neglected to comment on the fact that Indy's dad was played by Sean Connery, who is a mere 12 years older than Harrison Ford!

5. Christopher

Well, Ford was older than Indy. The character was born on July 1, 1899 according to the premiere episode of Young Indy, which means that he was 38 or 39 years old in Last Crusade, whereas Ford was 46 at the time. So if Henry Sr. was the same age as Connery, he would've been around 20 years older than his son.

6. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Psshaw. That's nothing. In North by Northwest, Cary Grant's mother was played by an actress who was only seven years years older than him--and who claimed at the time to be younger than him. (She lied about her age.)

7. gblews

gblews Vice Admiral Admiral

"Sue Storm" wasn't Hispanic, the actor playing her was.
    The movie had it's flaws, without question. But what I liked about it was how the relationships between the characters were written and performed. It was very true to the comic book. And BTW, the logical leap with respect to the "risks' taken by the FF in the movie (and I agree, it shouldn't have required a "leap") was that if Doom defeated the FF, his next step would be world domination. So the risk to the population was justified.

BB should have been a much better movie than it was but it was saddled with the most forgettable villain ever, and an uncharismatic performance of the lead character by Bale. I have never been able to get through the movie without nodding off. All a matter of opinion, of course.

8. Christopher

Well, why couldn't Sue and Johnny have been Hispanic? Or black? Or anything? Sure, "Storm" is an English name, but there are lots of people of mixed heritage who have English names by this point. Heck, they cast Kerry Washington as Alicia Masters, so they weren't married to the original ethnicities from the comics. So why be so quick to assume that the movie's Sue and Johnny weren't Hispanic? We have no proof either way, beyond how they looked, and as others have pointed out to me, that's hardly definitive.

Okay, as comic book fans, we know implicitly that Doom is out for conquest. But the movie itself failed to establish that overtly. There was no real sense that Doom endangered anyone but the Four, no sense that they were protecting anyone but themselves.

And no, I don't think it's justified to risk annihilating the human race to stop an aspiring tyrant. That's a textbook case of the cure being worse than the disease. Heck, even if Doom succeeded in conquering the world (and honestly, did anyone imagine for a minute that the Julian McMahon Dr. Doom was remotely capable of that?), at least its people would still exist and could be liberated through some other means than burning them to a crisp.

9. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

No I don't think you're racist, but if I did a statement like this wouldn't convince me otherwise.

Can Jessica Alba only play Hispanic characters?

Is every character she's played Hispanic?

Could only a Hispanic actor play Johnny to Alba's Sue?

10. Christopher

Good grief, stop overreacting! All I meant was that she looked Latina to me in that role. And I absolutely do not mean that as a value judgment or a statement about the actress's worth, any more than it would be if I said someone's eyes looked blue. It doesn't mean any more to me than that. I can't help it if it means something more to you.

11. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

You said something in a way I found clumsy and not well thought out. All I did was point it out. Your attempts to defend and rationalize it are much more of an overreaction than anything I've said.

12. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

I agree. And for what it is worth, I don't think you're a racist. What's more, I am probably more than a little sensitive myself coming from a life where mixed ethnicity marriages are the norm.

But really, Sue and Johnny were the least of the FF's problems. In addition to the obvious flaws mentioned here, the complete disregard for the world of the FF really bothered me.

Doom just wasn't the same character. What's more, if they wanted to write a love triangle with Sue and Reed the comics have already established Namor in that role. Also, the slapstick humor was just embarrassing. If I had watched this movie with my non-comic book friends, I am sure they would have been merciless.

13. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

01. One of the Storms junior was adopted.

02. One of the Storms senior arrived home one one night with the resultant of an affair, and said to their spouse "Deal with it or suck it."

03. One of the Storms senior could have had fertility issues or they could have been a gay couple of Storms and they used a sperm donor.

04. One of the Storms Senior could have begun this new marriage with a child already tallied from a previous marriage.

05. One of the Storms Junior could have been Switched at birth and no one has noticed yet.

06. A Time travelling villain of the Fantastic Four genetically modified foetus Sue Storm until she was a weapon designed to destroy Reed Richards.

07. Johnny fell into a cauldron of bleach as a baby.

08. The Storms Seniors were scientists creating Super soldiers and decided to raise their peak human experiments as their own children.

09.The Storms Senior went to a lot of Swingers key parties in the early 80s.

10. An alien child cuckoo, was telepathically integrated into a typical human family to be raised sincerely as their own, because it's a cuckoo and that's their bag baby.

I really doubt that I could go on.

14. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

Or one takes after the mother and one takes after the father. I have three siblings and none of us look alike. I also know children of mixed parentage where some have the characteristics of one ethnicity and some the other (yep, black and white siblings). But, in the books, the characters are white, blond and resemble each other-- I believe in being faithful to the source material.

15. lurok

lurok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Lost in the EU expanse with a nice cup of tea
    No. Worst thing about movie. And they brought him back for sequel. Sheesh.

16. USS Intrepid

USS Intrepid Commodore Commodore

That would certainly have added a 'different' aspect to the Raimi movies. :guffaw:

17. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Seriously, though, what the fuck?! I mean you want organic web shooters? Fine, I guess. But to have the webbing come out of his wrists is sort of dumb when you go that route.

18. Thestral

Thestral Vice Admiral Admiral

Guy Gardner, bringing the hilarious. :lol:

19. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

Matthew Vaughan to produce...

20. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Vice Admiral Admiral

The only good thing to come out of FOX owning the "x-men" and "fantastic four"?

Cross over potential. With Vaughn producing the movie can drop nods to "First Class"