Fantastic Four reboot-- Casting, Rumors, Pix, ect;

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Turtletrekker, Dec 8, 2012.

1. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

They could be adopted siblings of course.

Wow, no-one has ever made that point before, apart from the hundreds of times I've heard it before.

2. AvBaur

AvBaur Captain Captain

Here's a very good article on why a black Human Torch is no big deal: http://badassdigest.com/2013/05/02/5-reasons-a-black-human-torch-is-no-big-deal

Seeing as they're considering 24 year-old Allison Williams and 26 year-old Michael B. Jordan for the Storm siblings, I doubt their plan is to go with an older, already-established team. But I agree that Anna Torv would be a great choice!

3. Shazam!

Shazam! Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I wish they'd cast age appropriate actors. Wasn't Johnny Storm, like 16 or something when became the Torch? I know they often play younger but it's rarely believable. A 28 year old high school attending Spider-Man is the worst example of this.

4. Icemizer

Icemizer Commodore Commodore

Well you know we have to fill in those missing demographics from the first time around. Perhaps a nice hispanic Ben Grimm and there is no reason Reed couldnt be Chinese to capture that market.

5. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

But that doesn't work - as Christopher notes above - The Black Panther is other by the very nature of his character and Luke Cage's historical context is Blaxploitation so he doesn't make much sense removed from that. Johnny Storm's character is an off-the-peg teenager archetype, there is nothing within the character that requires him to white.

6. Shazam!

Their intentions are honourable but their logic is flawed. They say "Bruce Wayne’s old money background pretty much means he needs to be a white guy"... is that really any different to the Storm's background of having a wealthy physician as a father (in fact, wasn't Bruce Wayne's dad also a physician)?

7. AvBaur

AvBaur Captain Captain

Yes. I'm sure there are plenty of wealthy black physicians, but I can't think of any African American families akin to, say, the Hiltons or the Rockefellers, which the Waynes were presumably modeled after. And if Johnny Storm is adopted, this isn't really an issue anyway, is it?

8. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

As the article mentions, they could also be step-siblings.

If he's a good actor I don't have a problem with it.

9. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Commodore Commodore

I do not have a problem with it. But assuming anyone in any movie is only cast "Because they are the best for the part" is very naive.

First of all who is best suited for any role is completely subjective regardless of their race. But more important than that , This is Hollywood! More and more the studio execs are making decisions based on market research and demographics. They are looking to make the most money possible. Never assume that on a property like this that the director has final say. The studio have huge influence on casting. They probably had finalists which they approved and vetoed certain actors. Maybe the actors were of different ethnicities. But the idea that its as simple as "Best for the Part" does not understand how the business works when so much money is being put into these things.

10. Shazam!

[​IMG]

11. Thestral

Thestral Vice Admiral Admiral

A sitcom family? Really?

12. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Not sure a family (even a sitcom family) who wealth is first generation is comparable to the Hiltons or Rockefellers. The Wayne family is very old money, even they would look askance at the Nouveau riche Rockeflellers, Hiltons and Banks. ;)

13. stj

stj Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

There were wealthy African-Americans before the Civil War. There has been a privileged layer long enough that the phrase "Talented Tenth" was coined for them back at the turn of the twentieth century. SF fans might be aware of Samuel R. Delany's family background from his autobiographical works. Not too long ago, the Sanaa Lathan/Simon Baker film Something New put some of it on popular film. ER is a little older, but the Angela Bassett/Courtney B. Vance characters came from the same milieu.

It is of course true that as yet no African-Americans have as yet reached the extraordinary heights of the Rockefellers in their heyday. But I shouldn't be surprised if some have indeed reached the levels of a Hilton.

PS My belief is that DuBois wouldn't approve every self-assignment to the "Talented Tenth."

14. gblews

gblews Vice Admiral Admiral

What was considered racist wasn't hiring a white actor to play the part, it was the fact that the studio would not even consider a actual Asian for a lead role in a picture like that in those days.

If they did hire Jordan to play the Torch, I'de like to see them do what Spielberg did in the Lost World with Ian Malcolm's daughter. Just make it obvious that Sue and Johnny are siblings and don't explain anything. Just let it hang there and watch (certain) heads explode.

Anna Torv or Alice Eve as Sue Storm would be sublime. :)

15. Dr.H

Dr.H Lieutenant Red Shirt

They're casting the guy who played Wallace in The Wire as that torch guy? Sign me in! Jordan has the charisma to pull off the womanizing, brash, snappy guy that the Human Torch is in spades. The only folk that would be vehemently opposed to this would either be strident comic fans that care more about superficial faithfulness to source material, rather than the meager deviations from the comics or racists of course.

16. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

I admit a part of my inner geek would love to see the movie replicate the comic book exactly, but it's just a small part.

17. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

Anna Torv or Alice Eve, why only considering blondes? ;) How about Zoe Saldana for Sue Storm?

18. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Zoe would be amazing...but she's already locked up for "Guardians of the Galaxy" :)

19. Dr.H

Dr.H Lieutenant Red Shirt

20. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

They should make all the characters Black, then instead of it just being tokenism, they could advertise an "All-Black Cast" like the race films of the early 20th Century. Ah, we've made such progress. :rommie: