Fan Film List

Discussion in 'Fan Productions' started by scienceguy, May 9, 2012.

1. scienceguy

scienceguy Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

I would like to ask for help compiling a list of Trek-based fan film productions that meet ALL of the following criteria:

1) must include primarily live actors

2) shot with video and/or film cameras (not just an audio recording)

3) a genuinely serious attempt at filmmaking (not just a bunch of guys with a camera in the basement).

4) must be produced no earlier than 1990, OR is currently in production for future release

I only want to list specific productions or series, not individual episodes. The list below provides examples of productions that meet the criteria. What productions are missing from my list? Thanks.

Starship Exeter
    Starship Farragut
    Star Trek Intrepid
    Star Trek New Voyages/ Phase 2
    Starship Ajax
    Star Trek Secret Voyage
    Star Trek Excalibur

2. MikeH92467

MikeH92467 Admiral Admiral

"Not just an audio recording" ? Geez, you make it sound like it's easy or something! :)

3. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

Sorry, you can't copy my homework.

4. Captain Randy Hall

Captain Randy Hall Commodore Commodore

When it comes to listing Trek fan film series, the best is Barb Reader at the Star Trek Reviewed Website. You can find her site at this link: http://startrekreviewed.blogspot.com/

Or if you're lucky, she'll come across this thread and provide you with a lot of help. She's a tremendous source of information on this topic.

Last edited: May 10, 2012
  5. scienceguy

Yes, thanks, I agree there are folks out there who are experts on this stuff. I have a hunch the list I have in mind will be relatively short.

6. Barbreader

Barbreader Fleet Captain In Memoriam

The last three 'series' on your list are planned, not executed. For more like that, see http://startrekreviewed.blogspot.com/2009/06/210.html . I'm not sure how many episodes are needed for a series. Exeter has only one complete Episode, although I believe that TTI will be completed some day.

There are probably 50-100 'planned' series which never happened. They range from Yorktown II which is again in production to ST Horizon, which was fully shot when abandon. There are many people working 'under the radar' which I know about but who do not want publicity BEFORE they are ready to produce at least one film.

Why did you exclude:
    (All films have pages linked from here: http://startrekreviewed.blogspot.com/2009/06/2.html )

Project Potemkin
    Mutliverse Crisis
    ST Osiris
    ST Romulan Wars
    TOTSF
    ST Eagle
    ST Encarta
    ST Nature's Hunger
    ST Dark Armada
    ST New Homelands
    ST Requirius
    ST Dark Frontier

ST Hidden Frontier
    -ST Hidden Frontier
    -ST Odyssey
    -ST Federation One
    -ST Helena Chronicles
    -Voyages of the USS Angeles

ST Beyond

Single shots:
    OGAM
    Metresky Incident(Czech)
    Doomsday Machine(Canadian)
    Digital Ghost(German)
    Retail Star Trek(UK, Nottingham)

Improved production over earlier series:
    The Further Adventures of Star Trek Unity(UK)

There are a lot of others which are one-shots which are shorter, or which are series which are comedic in nature, or not available in English or which otherwise don't seem to fit your pattern, but I am not clear what that pattern is.

Last edited: May 10, 2012
  7. Barbreader

8. scienceguy

Thank you, Barb, for taking the time to respond to my question. The research you do is very impressive! I'm trying to put together a much simpler and shorter list. The productions included on my list do not have to be series. If it's a one-time production, that's fine. If it's a series, that's fine too. But I'm not making a list of individual episodes. Also, to make it simpler, let's exclude any productions that have not been released yet. So here is my (hopefully) clarified criteria:

1) must include primarily live actors

2) shot with video and/or film cameras (not an audio recording)

3) a genuinely serious attempt at filmmaking (doesn't look like a home movie).

4) has already been released in some form (online, DVD, etc.)

5) was released after 1990

6) may be either a series or a one-time production. But if it's a series, I don't want a list of individual episodes.

7) is intended to be a serious drama (not a comedy)

8) is at least 15 minutes long

9) must be in English

Here is my updated list, based on your suggestions:

Starship Exeter
    Starship Farragut
    Star Trek Intrepid
    Star Trek New Voyages/ Phase 2
    Project Potemkin
    ST Hidden Frontier
    ST Beyond
    OGAM
    Metresky Incident
    Doomsday Machine
    Digital Ghost
    Retail Star Trek
    The Further Adventures of Star Trek Unity
    ST Phoenix

9. Barbreader

Your list really shows just how individual your evaluations are, and underline why I try to include anything that tells a Star Trek universe story. I am surprised you did not include Multiverse Crisis, which I think is one of the best of the lesser known groups, which was shot in part in the 1990s, and not with a Super8 camera, but with a college film department set of cameras.

On the other side, I am delighted that you did look at the last few episode of The Further Adventures of Star Trek Unity, which mix live action with animation and green screens, but this started SIX YEARS and 30 episodes earlier as a bunch of kids filming themselves when they played Star Trek. It has evolved into a very serious, well-written, and well produced (and decently acted!) fan film. One of the most enjoyable to watch. The second episode of Star Trek Eagle is so much better than the first it's hard to believe it's the same group. There are some other live action films (e.g. Calvert Films Presents, Starship Mohave) which I did not mention based on other issues.

I'm also surprised you did not include Osiris. The last episode of Star Trek Encarta is considered excellent by some people. The first is a weak effort. Metrensky Incident does offer English subtitles.

I urge you to look through the website yourself. There is nothing over 15 minutes in the Short Films section. Some films have over a minute of credits which brings them to over 10 minutes (but I just didn't think they were major films).

10. scienceguy

Thanks again, Barb, for responding. I think you're overestimating my knowledge of this subject. Actually, I've only seen some (but not all) of the productions on my list. Some productions are listed only because you suggested them in your earlier post (but otherwise I know nothing about them). And those that were ommitted were left off due to my own ignorance of the subject (I didn't know they existed). When I started this thread, I assumed the list meeting my criteria would be small (less than 10 items).

11. Barbreader

Well, you have a project! You can spend this summer watching and sorting Star Trek fan films. (I've been doing it for three years; at least you don't have to hunt for them, I've done that for you.) And if you decide (I hope, I hope) to write some reviews, create a blog, and let me know when you complete each of them, and I'll be happy to link to your reviews!

You'll find a lot of enthusiasm for HF's later series. Most people think they are better than the first series.

And if you DO find any Star Trek fan film I've missed, please let me know! It's not on purpose! I have links to over 500 Star Trek Fan Films (probably A LOT over at this point) and over 200 Star Trek Audio dramas. If you like franchise crossover work, here's where you find it: http://startrekreviewed.blogspot.com/2009/06/245.html

I'm not clear on your objection to animation. Aurora is excellent. I strongly encourage you to go through my "Quick Picks" before eliminating any of them pro forma. http://startrekreviewed.blogspot.com/2009/06/1.html

As Randy Hall would say, "Enjoy!"

12. MikeH92467

MikeH92467 Admiral Admiral

I also really don't see why the exclusion of audio series. The implication I got was that they somehow don't measure up in terms of story or production skill. Outpost, Lost Frontier, Diplomatic Relations and my personal favorite *ahem* Excelsior all have something to offer. However, I fully understand there are not enough hours in the day to watch and listen to everything, but I would suggest giving some of the audio projects a listen if you haven't already.

13. Barbreader

And for a good list of audio series, look here: http://startrekreviewed.blogspot.com/2009/06/247.html

And, by the way, many of these can be downloaded from itunes or other sources and listened to on car trips, on airplanes, in commuter railroads, or in other 'waiting' situations.

14. scienceguy

Thanks for your advice, Barb! I'm sure there are some quality productions that I have never seen. In fact, that was my motivation for making a list; to become aware of what I have missed.

15. scienceguy

My exclusion of audio productions was never intended to be disrespectful to that particular art form. I just happen to have a personal interest in filmmaking. And when I said I wasn't interested in any production that was "just" audio ... the reason I used the word "just" was because I didn't want to give the impression I was interested in silent movies. If I left out the word "just", somebody may think I was only interested in silent movies.

16. Barbreader