Falling Skies - season 3

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by DarthTom, May 23, 2013.

1. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I didn't remember to mention it in earlier posts, but I thought that was pretty cool too. I was really sad to see Red Eye die at the end of last season, so I thought that was a cool way to pay tribute to him in universe, and in the real world it was a nice way to identify the Rebel Skitters.

2. Kirby

Kirby Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I was disappointed in last night's episode. There were some good moments for Matt, but the whole magic baby thing, and yet another group of humans... Meh...

3. gblews

gblews Vice Admiral Admiral

The magic baby storyline isn't bothering me yet. I'm satisfied watching to see where it goes. But that is one creepy looking baby.

The big problem (setting aside the skitters and Volm), is the existance of the "real" president. Maybe the group should have made Tom "regional" President. But why President Abernathy would sanction his people firing on the Tom's group without much investigation into Tom's group's apparent actions re: contact with rebel Skitters, is beyond me.

Did Moon Bloodgood really have a kid in the off season? She looks bigger this season.

4. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

Yes, she is/was pregnant. I'm not sure when she gave birth, but that is not a fat suit she is wearing. :lol:

5. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

I was kind of expecting them to encounter other "presidents," but I didn't expect the real one to show up. Having them seen as collaborators by the legitimate government puts a whole new spin on things.

Yeah, the half-alien baby plot is definitely not a good idea.

But they wrote Pope with some depth this episode, without compromising his loser status.

6. Admiral2

Admiral2 Admiral Admiral

No proof yet the new human is telling the absolute truth. Lotsa people can claim to be president...

7. stj

stj Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Pope was the guy who let his crew rape women. I have to disagree that the episode was good characterization. It retconned Pope into a nicer person, but why is that desirable?

The basic problem is that the unthought out nature of space war is messing them up. They don't really know what comes next, because they can't figure out what the alien characters want. And that matters even when those characters are largely offstage. They'll never be able to figure them out until they've come up with a clear understanding of how space war could actually work. So they have to come up with arbitrary diversions like the baby.

8. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

So, any bets the President was hanging out in Guantanamo?

9. Kitty Worrier

Kitty Worrier Vice Admiral Admiral

After the premiere, I had to look it up. According to IMDB, she had a baby in December. I also read that filming started in August, so she was pregnant through out filming, it seems.

At first, with Hal, I thought it was a mental link, and not him literally walking out to meet her. That would have made more sense.

I also was hoping the thing with the baby was going to be some super post-partum, but this is sci fi, what am I thinking? :lol:

10. Cap.T

Cap.T Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

According to Producer/Directors Greg Beemans Blog next weeks episode was
    the last episode Moon Bloodgood did for the season. After that she went on here maternity leave.

11. RJDiogenes

That's certainly true.

It's not a retcon, it's character development-- he's being changed, perhaps, by his experiences in the war. We'll see.

12. Kitty Worrier

Kitty Worrier Vice Admiral Admiral

Makes sense. :cool:

I also have to agree that Pope is going through evolution/character development. And I like it.

13. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

You didn't translate their reactions?

Benjamin Hathaway was President before the invasion and he's been fighting his own war against the aliens for the last two years (or he's been hiding in a bunker with his thumb up his bung hole.).

The part has been cast with Stephen Collins formerly of 7th Heaven and Star Trek the Motionless picture. Oh, and he's going to be on Devious Maids next week. ;)

14. RJDiogenes

Yes, obviously Benjamin Hathaway was president when the aliens came, but we don't know yet if the guy claiming to be Hathaway is really him.

Stephen Collins is pretty good, despite 7th Heaven and Decker. His best role was Jake Cutter in Tales of the Gold Monkey.

15. Guy Gardener

So are you thinking that he's locked in his bunker, and all presidential orders are are written on toilet paper and tucked under a door frame? But it all turns out to be a complicated shell game like in Patterns of Force?

Or is it one of Hathaway's bullet catching Secret Service Dopplegangers lying constantly about the legitimacy of his appearance like with what happened with Richard Nixon and they based the movie Dave on?

16. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

I think the president is a wimp and has been living in a bunker somewhere for 2 years crying in his own filth.

Then it turns out there are some humans still alive and he goes "I'm the boss, I mean president, listen to me!"

17. Guy Gardener

There are no concessions for ignoring elections in perpetuity. Hathaway's Presidency might have expired?

18. RJDiogenes

Actually, I think it's probably him, but it certainly could be a fake-- or he could be a collaborator.

19. hyzmarca

hyzmarca Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

He's the President of Nothing. The United States doesn't exist any more. He has about as much authority as the President of the USSR did in 1993.

20. DarthTom

DarthTom Fleet Admiral Admiral

Well technically he'd have authority over any remaining US armed forces. While regional governments after an alien invasion may not recognize the authority of a national government it would be interesting in such a scenario how individual combat units would respond to announcement that the President is alive and in control.

I've never been in the military but as I understand it they are indoctrinated to follow the chain of command and if commanders had allegiance to the President - so would they - IMO?