Extract MIDI files from Judgement Rites?

Discussion in 'Trek Gaming' started by Nacluv, Dec 18, 2012.

1. Borjis

Borjis Commodore Commodore

wow! thanks I'm going to try that. I don't think I ever heard the better instrument music in MT-32.

speaking of audio hacks, I wish there was a way to replace the lousy transporter effects sound in the Judgement Rites CD.

In 25th anniversary CD they have the real sound effect from the show....hell the add on for Judgement Rites floppy disk version had it too, but they left it out of the CD Rom version.

2. Nacluv

Nacluv Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I just tried that program, somehow I couldn't get it to work with my neither my Judgment Rites CD nor a floppy version I found on the Internet.

Perhaps, I misunderstood the instructions because I work with DOS programs almost on a daily basis, so that's not the problem.

It would be nice to see how much music I missed / skipped when I captured the MIDI music live from the game.

Also, do you know if there's any music in 25th Anniversary that is not included in Judgment Rites?

And when you ripped music from the 25th Anniversary game, did it sound properly in your MT-32? I know that in Sierra games you have to "record" the MT-32 MIDI music live to get it with the right instrumentation, but I guess that's not the case with the engines used in these games.

3. Borjis

Holy Crap!!!

The midi music sounds AMAZING!

It's like getting a whole new update to the game...WOW!

I got 25th anniversary working by installing MUNT.
    found here:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80mWKVG9NnM

you don't even have to use the dosbox he includes in the download.
    just install munt, then goto your sound settings in control panel
    and switch your midi device to the MT-32 then run setup for 25th anniversary
    and change the midi to MT-32...sounds so so much better!

gonna try getting Judgement Rites working...

I wonder if there's a way to get my tablet with dosbox turbo to sound like this.

EDIT/UPDATE:

Apparently so!

As of DosBox 2.1.0 MT-32 is indeed supported.

https://sites.google.com/site/dosboxturbo/

4. Borjis

hmm I downloaded the patch files and used that utility to patch them,
    then copied the new .exe over.

when I run setup for Judgment Rites, which port is the MT-32 supposed to be set for?

I tried all of them, it just hangs in a black screen after interplay logo shows.

5. Python1980

Python1980 Ensign Newbie

Nacluv:

I dont understand what might have gone wrong, all I did to use the program was:

1. extract trekext2.exe and trekext2.pas to the game folder
    2. goto the game folder in dosbox
    3. type "trekext2 data.dir data.001" or "trekext2 fed.dir fed.001" etc

On the floppy version of STJR it went merrily away and unpacked the .001 file, for the CD it unpacked some then spat an error hence my saying it mostly worked on this version. No issue with ST25th for me either.

Im not sure about any tracks in ST25th that are not in STJR, but I dont think there are any.

Like yourself the only way I personally managed to get MT-32 music out of the game was to use dosbox midi recording. These recordings sounded fine on MT-32. If you want the XMI dumps then I would suggest you follow the link I posted for the STJR patch and ask tikalat how he got them, he is a wiz at driver hacking and has been (along with New Rising Sun) fixing many driver/sound issues for MT-32 and GM in Sierra/Apoggee/Lucasarts/Interplay games.

Borjis:

The port dosbox uses by default for midi is 330. Not sure why it might be hanging as the patch worked perfect for me on my Collectors CD version. Did it black screen before patching with MT-32 selected? Without the patch the game will still run when MT-32 is chosen, it just wont sound quite right.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2013
  6. Borjis

ya it launched fine before I made the changes.

what did you set the JR audio setup for?
    330 on the mt32?

any chance you could post a .zip file with the .exe and
    patched files?

I wonder if maybe i patched them improperly somehow

7. Python1980

Python1980 Ensign Newbie

For JR audio I selected MT32 for music device with port 330 and for sound I used soundblaster pro with port 220 irq 7 dma 1. I do not have access on this forum to attach files so I cant post the patched files.

The patches are only to fix General Midi reset issues anyway. If you are going to use MT-32 then all you really need is to overwrite your games trekjr.exe with the new one tikalat made which fixes the MT-32 detection issue.

I know this is an obvious and probably silly question but just to cover all bases you are using the CD collectors edition and not the floppy version? I ask as tikalats exe is specifically for the collectors CD and wont work (and is not needed) for other versions.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2013
  8. Nacluv

Nacluv Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Haha, thanks to your post I saw instantly what I did wrong. I forgot that I had to type trekext2 instead of trekextr. While the program's name is trekext2 and even the readme instructs you to type trekext2, the info within Trekext2 still refers to its program as TREKEXTR.

9. Borjis

Thanks for replying, I am on the CD Collectors edition, running DosBox .74 i think.
    25th anniversary plays MT32 perfectly, so something must be right.

I did try to using the auto detect sound utility in the STJR CD setup screen.
    it just found soundblaster 16 for both sound and music.

I'll try your suggestions.
    Can't wait to hear it!

one last clarification, if I don't really need the patch files...what is it they are supposed to do?
    (what would I be missing by not utilizing them)

thanks again for posting about the MT-32.
    I had a soundblaster AWE32 back in the day and was in AWE (pun intended) at how much better the midi music was on the games that supported it. And I always wished these Interplay Trek titles could sound better...and now they do.

On a side note, I wonder if it's possible to locate the transporter effect sound in whichever file it is
    and replace it with the more authentic sound in 25th anniversary cd, then repack it so it sounds
    that way in Judgement Rites CD.

10. Borjis

ok I got Judgment Rites working with the MT32 midi.

I deleted the modified data and fed files and used the original ones,
    so I'm only using the updated exe.

I ran the setup and picked the same exact settings for sound that
    you did which are different than I ran before, but anyways it works!

Interesting that the mouse click beep sound is different (has more reverb)
    I also noticed the transporter sound f/x must be midi based as they
    now also sound different but not sounding like 25th anniversary does.

Fun stuff!

11. Python1980

Python1980 Ensign Newbie

The patch files are to fix a General Midi issue so you arent missing anything by not using them when selecting MT-32.

In regards to the transporter effect, I dont know whether its possible or not. Would be cute if it can be done though.

Glad you got it working in the end. I know what you mean about the reverb, I think they overdid it a bit in JR.

12. Borjis

haha I thought that as well.