Episodes in which Data is captain

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by FTV, Jan 9, 2009.

1. FTV

FTV Cadet Newbie

Data always seemed to kick butt whenever they actually put him in charge. So I tried really hard to find which episodes include the times Data has the bridge on any ship but my Google-foo was not strong enough. Can anyone recall the episodes where this happens?

2. Lt.Cmdr.LaForge

Lt.Cmdr.LaForge Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I was watching the episode 'Brothers' last night from season 4. Data is called home to his father, (originally presumed dead). Data takes control of the ship, deactivating the life support on the bridge to force everyone out, he then over rides all ship systems to only answer to picard on the bridge (whom data has been impersonating). He sets the Enterprise on a course to the residence of his father at warp 9.3, which apparently at the time was dangerous due to some recent upgrade or something. During this brief rebellion in which Data has no control over, nor does he even remember. He isn't 'given' the bridge as such, but the way in which he aquires it and takes control of the entire ship single handed is awesome, he 'kicks butt'!

Hope this helped =]

3. Timo

Timo Fleet Admiral Admiral

In addition to "Brothers", there's "Redemption II" where Data gets to command the Sutherland against the objections of her top officers, and "Gambit II" where Data commands the E-D when both Picard and Riker go missing. And then there are umpteen episodes where Data commands a shuttlecraft... Plus one or two where he commands himself on a demanding away mission, such as in "Ensigns of Command" or "Thine Own Self", but I guess the question was about commanding vehicles rather than missions.

Timo Saloniemi

4. Finngle Bells

Finngle Bells Vice Admiral Admiral

I wouldn't count Brothers. He wasn't in control of his actions since he wasn't himself. Plus he didn't act like someone in command or control of the ship. By that reasoning, Wesley was a Captain briefly in The Naked Now.

5. Timo

Timo Fleet Admiral Admiral

...OTOH, Barclay was a commanding personality in "Nth Degree"...

Timo Saloniemi

6. Dane_Whitman

Dane_Whitman Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I think his best two 'command moments' were:

1. When he was in command of the Sutherland and he put that goof Hobson on his place. "FIRE!"

2. When he gave Worf that dressing down in "Gambit". Spiner does 'Data in command' really well, he would have made a believable Captain one day.

7. dave_R_treker

dave_R_treker Captain Captain

He was in command in Gambit part two

8. Red Ranger

Red Ranger Admiral Admiral

New York City, the greatest city in the world!
    Both Gambit, Pt. II and Redemption, Pt. II were Data's Spock/The Tholian Web/Galileo Seven moments. I agree, Data made a good command officer. We did see him in command red twice, also, in Chain of Command, Pt. II and in Future Imperfect. He looked good in that color, too. Would've always had him as a command officer, and reworked it so the conn was an operations post like security or engineering. -- RR

9. Jefferies

Jefferies Captain Captain

Thought I should share this with you.

[​IMG]

Personally, I think Data would have made an excellent captain. Its a shame he never got promoted. If he had lived after Nemesis he maybe could have taken over command of the Enterprise from Picard at some point.

10. darkshadow0001

darkshadow0001 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I think he was in control of the ship in one of the season one's episodes. I believe it might be the episode "Justice"

11. john titor

john titor Captain

Data should never have been killed off in Nemesis, they need to rectify that as its in direct conflict with how he turns out to be university professor in the future.

12. captcalhoun

captcalhoun Admiral Admiral

^ the future with an E-D with three nacelles in it? and Worf rules some Klingon colony?

'possible future', chum. GEN negated it before NEM did.

13. Red Ranger

Red Ranger Admiral Admiral

New York City, the greatest city in the world!
    Jefferies: Nice pic. You know, there is a novel where a future Data is in command of Enterprise, I think it's Imzadi. -- RR

14. Jefferies

Jefferies Captain Captain

From what I have heard it's a really good book, although Data only plays a supporting role in it. Its somewhat strange, in the series Data must be one of the characters with the most development and yet unlike the others he is never given any additional responsibilities.

15. Anwar

Anwar Vice Admiral Admiral

That whole future was just a creation of Q's. As soon as Picard undid the anti-time anomaly he erased that future.

16. RaymondJames

RaymondJames Captain Captain

personally I like when Doctor Crusher in in command:guffaw: why is it when she is in charge everything happens?

17. SiorX

SiorX Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

:confused:

The only times I can think of when Crusher was in charge was in Thine Own Self, when precisely nothing happens while she's in command, and in Descent, where she and her skelleton crew blow up a borg cube.

Am I missing something?

18. Bonzo the Fifth

Bonzo the Fifth Commander Red Shirt

Are you serious? He had three major responsibilities on the ship: Operations Manager, de facto Science Officer, and Second Officer. Not to mention that he tended to moonlight quite a bit in Engineering on top of all the rest of that (in part, probably an extension of his Science Officer duties, but still)... True, his positronic brain could make a lot of the drudgery, administration and paperwork of all those jobs more bearable, but that's still a lot of work for just one being to be saddled with. Juggling all those responsibilites in and of itself is one impressive feat, the success of which is just one more piece of evidence for his command potential.

While he's not a captain in this episode, I've always enjoyed "The Ensigns of Command" as a good showcase of Data's leadership capacity, as he manages to turn a hostile crowd to his way of thinking in fairly diplomatic way... he starts out gentle, using logic and argument to try to appeal to the villagers' better nature, tries for a more 'emotional' argument to make them more afraid and insecure of the Seliak, and, when that all failed, a measured expression of force drove the point home... Though on his own, with no one under his command, per se, I found that to be a great example of how to handle a situation...

19. Crewman47

Crewman47 Commodore Newbie

As Second Officer would he not always be in command of the third shift? So even though we've only seen a few times of him in command technically he's always had a command role on the ship.

20. Vanyel

Vanyel The Imperious Leader Premium Member

Not an episode, but he was told to take command by Picard in Nemesis. He keeps it for about 2 minutes, but he is in command.