Episode of the Week: Angel One

Discussion in 'The Next Generation' started by Captrek, Oct 30, 2012.

1. Jeyl

Jeyl Commodore Commodore

So.... the argument is that they should have stayed campy? I thought TNG got better once they abandoned the campy side that plagued the first two seasons.

2. Timo

Timo Admiral Admiral

The argument is that complaining about sexism in Yar's lines is about as fruitful as complaining about racism in LaForge's. Both had idiot dialogue through and through, but sexism or racism had much less to do with it than general writer tapiocabrainedness.

Timo Saloniemi

3. Jeyl

Jeyl Commodore Commodore

So sexism and racism was non-existent in TNG's first years? That's rubbish. At least Geordi got to take command of the Enterprise in two episodes.

4. Timo

Timo Admiral Admiral

It just looks more honest and open there than in the later years. But the amount of it doesn't really change with the seasons. And why should it? It's not as if there's a corresponding change in the society at the time, either.

Timo Saloniemi

5. BillJ

BillJ Fleet Admiral Admiral

So she should be attracted to no one? Should never have sex with anyone? And should never recognize when she's made an error?

Sounds like you're the one with deep-seeded issues about independent women... :shrug:

6. Jeyl

Jeyl Commodore Commodore

I'm sorry. Are you implying that I'm the sexist one here? Go through all of my posts I ever made here at TrekBBS. You won't find a single post where I question Yar's attraction to Lt. Castillo from the episode "Yesterday's Enterprise". I never even contemplated it being an issue. Yar is a really played very well in Yesterday's Enterprise and Denise does a wonderful job with the material she has. No episode from TNG's first season even compares to how great that episode is.

Again, if you watch the episode "The Naked Now", you will find that having issues with it doesn't mean you're sexist. For a show that proudly proclaims that humanity has grown out of it's infancy and will one day be like angels and gods that the first regular outing is an episode where all of them act stupidly drunk and all the women only want sex.

Captain of the Tsiolkovsky: I hope you have a lot of pretty boys on board, because I'm willing and waiting.
    Tasha Yar: You are fully functional, aren't you. How fully?
    Crusher: I'm a woman. I haven't had the luxury of a husband.... a man...
    Troi: Don't you want to be with me? Alone in your mind?

Yeah. We can have this infection cause the men to just act silly, but it must turn the women into sex starved maniacs who practically beg only the men to have sex with them even in the middle of a crises. I fail to see why having an issue with that means that I'm the one being sexist about it. Even DC Fontana, the writer of this episode pulled her name from it because she was so embarrassed with the result.

And as for your "never recognize when she's made an error?" bit?

Tasha: Data, I'm only going to tell you this just once. It never happened.

Nailed it.