Episode of the Week: 2x18 "Up The Long Ladder"

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by Jeyl, May 27, 2013.

1. Charles Phipps

Charles Phipps Captain Captain

Sep 17, 2011
    I just watched this episode and it occurs to me that it's all over the place.

* The Irish stereotypes make me wonder what Colm Meaney was thinking during this episode (sadly, he doesn't have Michael Dorn's excuse "I wasn't there for Code of Honor--THANK GOD").

* There's a good parable about immigration -- a society needing new blood but it's almost irrelevant given it's too literal. The Irish don't offer anything to the clone civilization but their brood mare status.

* The "clonebortion" debate overshadows everything when it's miniscule to the episode as a whole.

* The forced marriage is really-really creepy when you think about it.

* I think it would have been a more interesting episode if the Irish weren't primitive, just POOR. Such as their planet was **** and the other guys planet was rich but they didn't have the people to harvest those resources.

* The idea of "uploading memories" into adult clones is not a new one but, oddly, makes the clone question more odd. I suppose the implication is there since Riker and polaski blasting artificial wombs would have been too much at the time.
  2. Trek or Treat

Trek or Treat Vice Admiral Admiral

May 24, 2009
    He kind of does. IINM, he was there for only a single brief scene.