Earth

Discussion in 'Battlestar Galactica & Caprica' started by Agent Richard07, Jun 14, 2008.

1. Phyzzx

Phyzzx Lieutenant Red Shirt

Or, Earth and this "colony" are close enough in space that the nav computer is still able to match up constellations.

2. multitrek

multitrek Lieutenant Red Shirt

Could be some space-faring pre-Plato civilisation that has wiped itself out with some survivors on Earth and other planet. Galactica crew cleans up the planet (radiation). Galactica people could be what Plato later calls Atlanteans. They then mix with some survivors through time (post-apocaliptic primitive groups we have yet to see on the show). Hides some of its own technology that gets forgotten with generations passing. Technology is found by some military body or archeologists at the beginning of the 20th century, hence our technological development in the last hundred years and the similitude between Galactica radios and 1950s radios. We started by secretly copying their tech and evolved our own actual tech from there... but they figured out the transistor first. ;)

3. Lookingglassman

Lookingglassman Admiral Admiral

It is the Earth. The constellations matched up from the ones they got from Kobol. I read somewhere it is a 22nd Century earth though. I cant wait to find out what happened to it.

4. Starwind

Starwind Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The only system close enough for the constellations to match is Alpha Centauri, which is a trinary. Everyone seemed to know Earth was a single-star system.

5. Phily B

Phily B Commodore Commodore

Did the Constellations actually match up with real life? If so, then it must be Earth. Maybe the final Cylon is here? I can't wait until Season 4.5.

6. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

Same here. I felt kinda meh, predictable, that's all they can think of to do?

Dealing with a populated Earth, but with a population and/or a mindset we don't expect, could have been a truly ass-kicking way to do a 180 for the balance of the season. But now I'm just left with an overwhelming sense of ennui about the rest of the season, which maybe is a good thing considering how long the wait will be.

I do want to find out who the Fifth is, and in what sense the Final Four (Five?) have "been to Earth." Maybe the Fifth Cylon is the sole surviving inhabitant of Earth and will stumble out of a hole in the ground to greet everyone in the next episode?
    I also instantly "read" that as "Brooklyn Bridge," and several people in this forum have said the same. If RDM did not mean to give that impression, he should have chosen to show us different looking ruins, that would give no strong impression that can easily be derived from the many times we've all seen similar scenarios. Anyone familiar with popular culture should be able to figure all this out, and I can't believe RDM could be so clueless that it was an accident, but who knows, it's possible it was.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2008
  7. Verteron

Verteron Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It's definitely Earth.

What I want to know is what happened -- and when.

Considering the lush visions of a forested Earth that our chaps previously experienced when they saw the constellations, it's a shame to see the old girl in such a dilapidated state.

I suppose what has happened happened some ages ago (I think we'd be talking about longer than the 22nd century, I think if the year is 22,000 then it's the 221st century), or, there's a slim chance it could've happened very recently.

I wonder if ultimately they could all just go back and settle on Kobol? It remains a lush, non-irradiated world with a functioning ecosystem that seems to have recovered from whatever horrors it was previously subjected to...

8. Hobs202

Hobs202 Commodore Commodore

Here's the question:

Is the planet still habitable? It didn't look like a nuclear hell-hole from orbit. This would indicated that if there was a nuclear war, it happened a while ago. At least long enough for the radiation clouds to dissipate and for a certain amount of green plants to grow.

So, will the crew stay on Earth and try to make do with what they've got, or will they move on in hopes of finding a better planet?

9. scotthm

scotthm Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It would be pointless to call it "Earth" for the past several years, and have it not be our Earth. It's not a question of where, but when.

---------------

10. watermelony2k

watermelony2k Vice Admiral Admiral

just because the area they touched down on was a raddiated piece of crap doesn't mean that the rest of the planet is the same. More rural areas away from previously heavily-populated urban locations have probably recovered faster.

11. DontFeedPhil

DontFeedPhil Fleet Captain

It just occured to me. What if they entire journey to Earth...what eventually leads to a truce with the cylons was just a way to unite us and show us that we did it in the past...we did it in the present and we'll do it again. Just like little Adama said. We need to change.
    And now for the real twist. Yes Earth is iratiated. But they realize that they cant stay there and the Kobal is really their Earth. For both of them to exist on...

12. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Vice Admiral Admiral

Indeed...if that is the Brooklyn Bridge, then they're within spitting distance of New Jersey...that would explain the irradiated soil.

13. Jack Bauer

Jack Bauer Fleet Admiral Admiral

The 13th tribe did go back to Earth a long time ago. Perhaps they thrived there for several thousand years and then war broke out between them. Perhaps they made their own Cylons and the Earth was nuked a few centuries before the events in Revelations. That would account for there still being radiation. If Earth was devastated millenia ago the radiation would be gone by now, right?

14. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, except there's that pesky remark of David Eick's:

It could be "Earth as we know it" - but then, it doesn't really matter all that much what planet this is - it's their final destination. It's "Earth."

15. Acidrain

Acidrain Commander Red Shirt

I would have to agree, they landed on this spot though there is no indication that the entire Earth is like that. Even from Orbital screen shots it doesn't look that bad and why the location in which they landed on?

16. Cyrus

Cyrus Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

A devastated empty Earth was the most predictable outcome, at least to me. Ever since they mentioned that they will find Earth I expected this. But a pleasant surprise was that they arrived there with half a season to go.

17. Rowan Sjet

Rowan Sjet Commodore Commodore

^ A devestated, empty Earth was the only real possibility I didn't think of.

ETA: One possibility I haven't seen mentioned: Maybe it's Mars.

18. Aragorn

Aragorn Admiral Admiral

The year on earth is 2009, and this was the "change" that Obama promised. :p

19. MeanJoePhaser

MeanJoePhaser Admiral

There might still be ocean life. Maybe they could get some fishing in. Beats algae.

Tigh could go crazy and chase after a white whale, taking Starbuck along with him.

20. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Really?

As soon as the ships started breaking into the earths atmosphere I started screaming at my Monitor... Gil Jerrad! Dinosaurs! the middle ages! 2020? ...Then I started looking for the statue of Liberty because it's THE PLANET OF THE APES!

It's nice to blame it on Obama, but Nixon is where my money is on after reading Warren Ellis blaming a dysfunctional timeline on tricky Dick wining out in 1960 in last weeks New Universal.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2008