Earth (spoilers through 4x17)

Discussion in 'Battlestar Galactica & Caprica' started by Lrning2fly07, Mar 3, 2009.

1. Lrning2fly07

Lrning2fly07 Cadet Newbie

So are we going to hear anymore about Earth? I would be really disappointed if, by the end of the show, they don't connect the Earth in the story to Earth in reality. It would make sense if this is the far future, and all they have to say is something about how humans first came from Earth, before going to Kobol.

I would be disappointed if they just ignore this point. Their Earth has a North American continent, why does it have to look so similar to our Earth if this is a Star Wars-like reality, where there is no connection to the real world at all?

2. Brent

Brent Admiral Admiral

Two trains of thought on this right now:

1.) The "Earth" we saw wasn't our Earth, and they will discover a planet, and call it Earth, and that will be our Earth

2.) The "Earth' we saw was our planet, and we are thousands of years in the future

BTW, humans did not come from Earth. Everyone came from Kobol, the 13th tribe was a tribe of Cylons the Kobol people made, they settled the "Earth" we saw, the other 12 races were Humas and settled the 12 colonies.

3. Verteron

Verteron Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I said this before, and I stand by it: the whole repeating history thing doesn't preclude there being a pre-Kobol iteration that started on our Earth, in our future.

One other 'fringe' possibility I pondered is if it's actually set in the distant past, and the whole dinosaur/fossil thing is either a Cylon trick (or will be totally ignored) or that they'll end up 'seeding' Earth with the building blocks for human-Cylon hybrid life to eventually 'evolve' back to a familiar human shape, but I don't think that's going to be the case. It's a bit too Star Trekkie for today's Ron Moore!

4. darkwing_duck1

darkwing_duck1 Vice Admiral

Hasn't Moore (or someone on staff) already said in a podcast or interview that the planet shown IS our Earth, albeit in an undisclosed timeframe?

5. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

Moore has stated that the planet is EARTH, but I don't think he's used the words "OUR Earth." I suspect that it is as you say, however.

6. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

That has not been firmly established.

7. Starwind

Starwind Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

There's still the problem of the 12 Colonies original flags. Why in the galaxy would they only have star patterns visible from EARTH? (The same patterns that confirmed they had reached Earth) It's been implied the 12 never went TO Earth, so what gives, if they were never ever there? You don't put a star pattern on your Flag if it has no significance to you.

8. Green Shirt

Green Shirt Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Since they removed the word "Earth" from the opening sequence and left it as simply "a home" we may have heard the last on the subject. Unless that's just misdirection.

9. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

Yes the Earth they found was the one and only Earth they were looking for and was talked about, but I think there are several Earths. The series finale is called Daybreak so I think it's safe to saw they find a planet and fight John for it. That planet will become our Earth.

10. Chris3123

Chris3123 Vice Admiral Admiral

Except you are forgetting that when they first showed "Earth", we saw the landmasses, and they were exactly as they are on our Earth. You could easily make out North America, for example. So it has to be 2.

11. Awesome Possum

Awesome Possum Look up here, I’m in heaven Moderator

The Earth we saw at the end of season three was clearly our Earth. There were no landmasses seen on the Earth they landed on that looked like they do on our Earth. Although given that they didn't bother to show it, we may never know.

Or the planet they do find, if they find one, may happen to look exactly like our Earth.

12. Chris3123

Chris3123 Vice Admiral Admiral

I assumed the Earth they found actually was the Earth they showed at the end of S3. Why wouldn't it be?

13. Green Shirt

Green Shirt Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeah, Miri's planet -but with clouds. ;)

14. Chess Piece Face

Chess Piece Face Commodore Commodore

Maybe the earth they pulled out to at the end of season 3 was our earth, which they will get to, but the earth they landed on wasn't.

Or, maybe it was and they will go back there and use cylon tech to go to sleep and resurrect themselves in the future after the radiation clears or something.

15. Cartoonist

Cartoonist Captain Captain

I have a really hard time believing everyone came from Kobol rather than Earth. Not with all the anthropological record we have of man evolving on Earth. It just wouldn't make any sense to me if they were to say man came from Kobol and for some reason lost or abandoned his technology. How would that explain the neanderthals and the many stages of man? How would it explain the little similarities like the neckties and suits?

It makes far more sense to me to think that thousands of years from now, humans HAVE to leave earth for some reason. Maybe we've ruined it with pollution, or climate change has made it uninhabitable, and survivors flee the planet in generational ships. They're in transit at sub-light speeds for hundreds or thousands of years. They colonize Kobol. Then, thousands of years later, for some reason, they have to leave Kobol. Most go to the closer twelve colonies planets, either no longer believing earth exists or not believing humans could survive on the earth they'd left. Maybe they created an entire race of skinjob cylons thinking the cylons could withstand whatever damage had been done to earth and make it fit for humans again. The cylons make the longer voyage back home to the abandoned Earth, a voyage that takes thousands of years. But by then, earth's just a myth to the twelve colonies.

That makes more sense to me than thinking we all came from Kobol, lost our technology, reverted to apes, evolved again, and after hundreds of thousands of years, we've reinvented the gods of Olympus and accidentally recreated the necktie.

16. Crusher Disciple

Crusher Disciple Admiral Admiral

Well, here in Texas we have ways of creatively explaining that kind of stuff away. :lol:

17. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

If you subscribe to the theory that there are infinite numbers of parallel universes, in which every possible iteration of history that could happen DOES happen in one of them, then an Earth with a North American shaped continent could develop in a multitude of different realities. BSG is in one of them, where humans evolved on Kobol and colonized a planet with a continent that shape but not in our own reality, where humans evolved on the same planet with a continent that shape.

18. Racer_X

Racer_X Commander Red Shirt

Yes, thank you. I don't think this has really been explained yet. If everyone did start on Kobol, and then during the exodus, 12 went to the colonies, 1 went to Earth, then how would the 12 know of the 1's constellations? The only way for them to know is for Earth to be the originating spot.

19. kipron

kipron Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Assuming RDM is going for a logical and real world explanation here, then I think it all comes back to the Song. 'All Along the Watchtower' wasn't written by Anders. It was written by Bob Dylan!

Anything else is libel. ;)

Someone must've included AATW in the programming of the original Cylons on Kobol. And this means Kobol was not really the birthplace of mankind - rather it was some distant colony of OUR Earth. Thousands of years in the future. There's also the possibility that the "colony" of the 13th Tribe is in fact our Earth, and that the 13th tribe were subliminally drawn back there because it was the birthplace of their original programmers.

This explains the map on Kobol, too. Whoever programmed the Kobol Cylons knew that whereever they settled, they would look up into the sky and look for constellations that looked like the old constellations from Earth. The planet in SAGN shared some of those patterns, but not necessarily all of them..

Of course, all of this is assuming that RDM is going for a logical and real-world explanation, which he might not be. But this one works for now. :techman: