E-Books or Paper Books

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by JD, Mar 11, 2013.

E-book, Paper books, or a combination

1. E-Books

42 vote(s)
  2. Paper books

34 vote(s)
  3. Combination

31 vote(s)
  1. JD

JD Admiral Admiral

Jul 22, 2004
    Arizona, USA
    I was just curious to see what the ratio of people here who read all e-books, all paper books, or a combination of the two is.
    Personally, I'm probably close to 50/50 right now, but I'm working on trying to get through all of the paper books I bought before I got my Nooks. Once I get through all of my paper books I own now, I'm hoping to get probably around 90% e-book, with the occasional paper book I find on sale really cheap.
  2. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

Jan 9, 2008
    all ebooks.
  3. Garrovick

Garrovick Commander Red Shirt

Jul 10, 2012
    wallowing in a pool of emotion
    I like paper books; I only read e-books right now for works that aren't available on paper. It's not that I have anything against e-books per se, I just prefer having the paper book. If Pocket was to stop publishing paper books I'd switch over with no problem.
  4. Bizarro

Bizarro Commodore Commodore

Jul 4, 2008
    John Clark
    I mostly buy ebooks nowadays.

For me, it's mostly about storage space so for any new ones, I'll probably go in that direction. As for which I read, that's about 50% each way as I do re-read older books that I only have in physical form.
  5. Thrawn

Thrawn Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Jun 15, 2008
    Washington, DC
    All ebooks.
  6. Paris

Paris Commodore Commodore

Dec 29, 2008
    In the future's past
    100% paper for me :techman:
  7. Pavonis

Pavonis Commodore Commodore

Apr 26, 2001
    I have a large collection of physical books which I'm still trying to get through (I estimate I have a 2-3 year backlog based on my typical reading behavior). I have both a Nook and an iPad with e-reader apps. I've downloaded many public domain books to the e-readers, but haven't gotten through them yet.

When people see the stacks of books I own, they say I should just get an e-reader. Of course I tell them I already own one, but that not everything I want to read is available in e-format, and that there are still advantages to owning non-volatile storage media.
  8. shanejayell

shanejayell Captain Captain

Feb 4, 2009
    BC, Canada
    Paper books. Until ereaders drop in price and the ebook prices go down a bit, I plan to stick with paper.
  9. ronny

ronny Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Mar 21, 2006
    San Francisco, CA
  10. zarkon

zarkon Captain Captain

Mar 24, 2011
    paper is all I buy
  11. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

May 12, 2004
    Oxford, PA
    I have yet to join the ebook revolution, although I will sometimes grudgingly read and edit manuscripts online. I'm used to working with hard copies, but realize that's a losing battle . . . .
  12. sulfur

sulfur Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Sep 6, 2010
    I picked up an e-reader over Xmas, and have been reading far more with that than I was able to do with paper books.

Having said that, there are certain things that I still want to have in paper form, including Trek books. Those are still all paper.
  13. King Bob

King Bob Fleet Admiral Admiral

Jan 30, 2001
    E-books here.
  14. DeVario

DeVario Commodore Commodore

Oct 31, 2003
    Sacramento, CA, USA
    Mostly paper, but if something is coming out exclusively on ebook, then I just download it on my phone.
  15. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

May 10, 2005
    The visitor's bullpen
    I buy all E-books now. Ever since I got my first iPad, I have done this. I intend to keep it up - I won't buy a paper book ever again if I can avoid it. E-books are just too convenient.
  16. tomswift2002

tomswift2002 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Dec 19, 2011
    I have to go with paper. Even though I did purchase the Slings And Arrows TNG collection in ebook form two years ago (because there has been no paper release), I've only read about 3 of those books, and I usually only read about one chapter a week when I'm on the closing shift (I go home for lunch on that shift, and then I have a couple of fifteen minute breaks, so I don't bring a book for that short of a time), and I find that I can't get into the books as well as I can with paper. Paper still rules.
  17. Boo! Did I Scare Ya?

Boo! Did I Scare Ya? Admiral Premium Member

Oct 14, 2009
    bbailey861 -- Kingston, ON
    A combination for me. Non fiction is primarily hardcopy and fiction is primarily digital - although not always the case.
  18. Gul Re'jal

Gul Re'jal Commodore Commodore

Jun 28, 2010
    Gul Re'jal is suspecting she's on the wrong space
    Combination. I love paper books, but ebooks are more handy.

I carry a book with me all the time (to read on the bus, etc.) and if that's a thick title, eReader is a lot smaller and lighter. And there are titles not available as paper book any more, but still available as ebooks. Not mentioning the space on my shelves, or if I have to move and pack all into boxes.
  19. teacock

teacock Fleet Admiral Admiral

Jan 20, 2007
    inside teacake
    Two words: FONT ADJUSTMENT.

Last time I bought a Game of Thrones book in paperback I could hardly read the damn thing what with the grey paper, tiny font, convoluted things I had to go through to hold it, read it and not break the spine..

I absolutely LOVE my kindle. I love being able to order the next book in a series instantly and have it right there. I love that it doesn't weigh anything, that I never lose my place, that just clicking one font up from the standard instantly makes it more readable for me.

And most of all I love that it looks just a bit like a padd :adore:
  20. T'Boo

T'Boo Romulan Curmudgeon Administrator

Apr 1, 2000
    T'Bonz - Across the Neutral Zone
    I'd say about 3/4 paper books and 1/4 ebooks. If I want to keep and reread a book, I get a physical copy. If the price is right and it's not something that I must keep, I'm more apt to get an e-book.

One thing that holds me back from getting more ebooks is that when you have a paper book, it's yours. An ebook can be yanked back and you're really renting it (long-term) but don't own it.

If the price is almost equal, then I'll go with a paper book.