DS9 on blu ray?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by borgboy, Nov 28, 2013.

1. Robert Comsol

Robert Comsol Commodore Commodore

I really don't think that the VFX in space are a big issue.

It's the amount of little offenders in the live action footage, ranging from removing the seams in Odo's makeup in Season One to panel reflections and eliminating overhead microphones and all that kind of stuff.

All these corrections were done in SD and would have to be redone in HD. How much work would be involved I couldn't possibly tell, but I'm certain it's more than what they did in "The X-Files" post-production in comparison.

Bob

2. benjaminh

benjaminh Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Wow. That does look great. If a fan can do that, perhaps there's hope CBS can find a way to make it work.

Hire that guy?

3. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

The question is would CBS want to distribute those shows to a rival network in the US?

Second question what about TV stations in Canada, UK, Germany, Australia, France etc....?

TNG-HD is already broadcast in SyFy UK.

4. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Is CBS actually seeing $60 a unit though? Most of the sets I've bought have been for less than $60. They're probably realizing somewhere in the neighborhood of $40 a unit. Plus, is the total quoted ($9,000,000) just the cost of the remastering? If so, then we need to added in the cost of pressing the discs, packaging and marketing.

We also don't know how much the flubbed audio issue from season one ended up costing the project.

So I don't know if one could say whether the project is profitable yet or not?

EDIT: I'm not up on various union rules. But wouldn't the actors, writers and directors also see a piece of each unit sold?

Last edited: Jun 2, 2014
  5. trekker670

trekker670 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

He's already addressed this.

6. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

Frontier Trek can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the source of that video is a former employee of one of the visual effects houses that worked on DS9. I believe he still had copies of the digital assets and the scene files and he simply re-rendered a shot in HD.

7. BillJ

I missed that post! Though I did a good job guessing the amount CBS was making per unit! :lol:

8. trekker670

trekker670 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

TrekCore did an article where they showed pictures and discussed using the existing files, which I believe is what you're referring to.

The video in question is from another source, although it's been floating around that the person who created the video did use the original files as a starting point, which he acquired through a friend that worked at one of the companies.

9. benjaminh

This "all but guaranteed" phrase is still puzzling to me. The arguments you present seem to lead me in the other direction. And in any case FrontierTrek said nothing was guaranteed, and that things look uncertain at best right now.

"All but guaranteed" seems kinda like a faith-based initiative to me. Do you have some blood of the Prophets in your veins? lol....

10. Savage Dragon

Right you are. Here's the article. I could have sworn the video came from him too.

11. BillJ

As someone who has no direct knowledge of the process beyond what I read on various websites, my faith in DS9 making to Blu-ray with the same remastering TNG got is shaky at best.

12. benjaminh

That was a good article. My hopes definitely rose after I read it a year ago. Sigh.

13. Savage Dragon

Mine too. I am still choosing to remain optimistic though. Just about everyone on the BBS was pessimistic about TNG's chances at a proper remastering and look at how that turned out.

14. 80ninjas

80ninjas Ensign Red Shirt

I was just discussing that with a friend this morning. That Netflix deal was for the SD Trek material and hasn't been updated since TNG went HD, and actually never included TOS in HD. So it looks like Amazon was the only one to cough up the cash to get the upgrade. I'd love to see Amazon or Netflix step up and help fund the remaining series, even if it means they'll get the exclusive rights to stream it ("Exclusive Home for all Star Trek in HD" has a nice right to it from a marketing standpoint :)).

I still think that they're some merit for getting a new SKU in stores. There will always be Trek fans getting new people into the franchise and I know a lot of people still like having something physical in their hands (not to mention, these sets generally have some pretty sweet special features plus lossless audio). But perhaps you're right, maybe they're trying to find someone to help make it happen. I know I see all the various ST series in the "Popular" section on both streaming sites, so I guess they bring decent views in for both Amazon and Netflix?

15. drmick

drmick Lieutenant Red Shirt

Are Blu Ray sales the biggest source of income for HD remasters? (For any show, not just Trek).

I would have thought that it would have been syndication deals (globally)?

We get TNG HD effectively free here in the UK on syfy UK! I don't have the HD upgrade that allows me access to the HD channels here, but I'll tell you one thing TNGHD broadcast in SD is so much better than original SD master!

16. MakeshiftPython

MakeshiftPython Commodore Commodore

I'm pretty sure Netflix has TOS available in HD. It's been that way since they got all the shows back in 2011.

17. BillJ

I wonder, in hindsight, if it was a mistake not to release TNG remastered on DVD as well?

18. 80ninjas

80ninjas Ensign Red Shirt

You're probably right, but if they've got the material in HD why not put it out in physical media? I can't see the pressing and distribution of disk media adding a whole lot to the total cost (Considering the volume they'd be doing, and the fact that they've done it for years, I don't see why CBS wouldn't have a pretty efficient process for that at this point).

DS9 and Voyage may not be huge syndication draws (unlike TOS and TNG) but nobody has ever had access to them in HD. Perhaps that would cause an increase in syndication interest? I'm sure SyFy UK would love to say they're the channel for Trek in HD.

19. BillJ

I wonder what a syndication deal would look like for a smallish country like the UK?

20. MakeshiftPython

MakeshiftPython Commodore Commodore

That might have helped plenty. I thought it was dubious that they actually reissued those old DVDs when the blu-rays were being released at the same time. I wonder how many were suckered into buying those sets believing they might be the remastered seasons that had been hyped about.