DS9 Forum Welcome Thread: Hello fellow Niners!

Discussion in 'Deep Space Nine' started by Disillusioned, May 30, 2009.

1. dub

dub Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Hang in there, @Riverside2233 ! Let us know what you think when you've watched the entire series!

Riverside2233 likes this.
  2. Dukat's Major

Dukat's Major Commander Red Shirt

So this is a kind of "welcome back" for me, I guess. My join date says 2010 but I joined much earlier than that, I think 2005. I haven't been around much due to life and school, but I've been rewatching DS9 with my wife (who has never seen it before), and I'm really appreciating it again. DS9 is my favorite of the series. I grew up with TNG and the TOS movies, and DS9 & VOY aired during my teenage years. I was on the AOL Trek Message Boards in 1995-7 and so have been doing the BBS Trek thing a loooooong time. I'm interested to meet new faces here, and re-connect with old faces if they remember me :)

3. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Savage Mod Moderator

Welcome back! What was your old username?

4. Dukat's Major

Elmo Dukat.

5. Savage Dragon

I remember you! It's a pretty unique username.

6. Dukat's Major

Cool! :) I haven't been posting too much, just getting used to the board again. I used to spend a ton of time in Misc but I'm more interested in Trek stuff and science these days. I'm really excited for the new Trek series, as I haven't been able to discuss new episodes of a Trek series on forums since the 90s when I was on AOL :lol:

7. Capn Nick

Capn Nick Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I think I introduced myself on the TNG and Voyager boards (yes, I shamelessly like all the Star Trek shows) but not here. I really didn't like DS9 when it first ran. My first thought was that it thumbed its nose at the philosophy of Star Trek. More militaristic. Less exploration. More modern sensibility that was, maybe, less idealistic (don't hate me yet! I came around!).

Anyway, I am a great fan of Colm Meaney as an actor and was talking to a friend about something he was in and my friend mentioned how great he was in DS9. Then he nearly beat me up for not having finished it. So I watched it from start to finish. I recanted and took back my previous opinions. The character development is just superb and it has, in my opinion, completely believable but great long arcs not just about stories but about people. Even Damar, a long minor character, gets wonderful growth!

Anyway, sorry that was so wordy, but this particular Star Trek series was a great surprise to me once I gave it a real chance.

dub and Kilana2 like this.
  8. Savage Dragon

I'm a little late, but welcome aboard Capn Nick! And no need to apologize. It's always interesting to hear how someone became a fan. :beer:

9. poundpuppy29

poundpuppy29 Commander Red Shirt

Hi all I am in the middle of watching DS9 for the first time I was a TNG girl watched it first run I think I watched one episode of DS9 back in the day and couldn't get into it but I was missing something back then because I love this show I love the storylines and the sarcasm do I love the sarcasm loving all the characters so far I am in the middle of season 3

10. Savage Dragon

Glad to hear you are enjoying it. Welcome aboard!

11. ShamelessMcBundy

ShamelessMcBundy Fleet Admiral Admiral

By Gar, it's been a while. But I'm back. I'm glad to know that this place is still kicking around.

12. zombiemalkshake

zombiemalkshake Ensign Newbie

I love ds9, the characters the story,don't get me wrong I love all star trek but I'm hooked on Ds9. My heart races every time. Sad I know. But it's my escape.

13. zombiemalkshake

zombiemalkshake Ensign Newbie

I've owned all and ds9 is what I find myself watching over and over. I remember when it came out, I was so next gen. Didn't want to look at it, but when i did I was hooked, and when the dominion story line came out that was it for me, loved it. Taken a lot of stick for it but took it on the chin and stood up to what I love and wish. Ps I'm normal lol

14. Savage Dragon

You just watch yourself. :vulcan:

15. ShamelessMcBundy

ShamelessMcBundy Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'd rather watch you. ;)

Also, I feel like I should be offended. :p